Tims Reliant Scimitar SS1

phr34kr

Yea springs are sorted. Heat treated etc. I trust the guys who did them know what they were doing (I was also worried that the springs wouldn't be able to be able to be plated) But ATM it doesn't look like ill be using them anyway and going to off the shelf coil-overs .

Update for the day. Sorted out where the a pillar needed to be and aligned it with the dash cross brace and tub so the doors will fit.

welded it on.

The tub fit gives it the illusion of not being correctly positioned but iv measured it and its sweet.

1465231_10200815149972370_347546366_n.jp

969415_10200815150132374_21356978_n.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow will see the other side chopped off and ready to be replaced :D

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Bit of progress I had the passengers side sill and B pillar tacked on before xmas, not much has happened until today but in the meantime I got some upper wishbones out of england.

1520644_10201239624823976_329091545_n.jp

One of the original wishbones has a cracked shock mount and has been bent. Rather than try to fix the old one or buy new ones at $400 ea. I luckily stumbled across someone parting out an ss1 on facebook. For $40 each it wasnt worth the effort to fix the old one and these ones are the newer version with a reinforcing brace from factory.

1549245_10201239624663972_782020582_n.jp

When i went to fit the passengers side A pillar today i thought something didn't look right with the sill . After quite a bit of measuring i found that the front reference point i was working from seems to have been wrong from factory, measuring the front cross supports the passengers side was 8mm longer than the  drivers side meaning the sills were not parallel to each other. this meant i needed to grind off the sill shorten the brace 8mm then re attach the sill.

1526887_10201239626784025_975196715_n.jp

remeasuring the sills are now parallel and square which should help with door fitment and general body gaps   :)

68346_10201239626104008_653025533_n.jpg

1535600_10201239625784000_1766097405_n.j

Have the  A pillar tacked on and now i can remove the tub and finish the welding, getting close to being able to mock up the engine and gearbox 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have been slowly making up the required mounts for the body tub to properly mount it to the chassis but in the meantime i have had a good think about the direction of this project and what i want out of the car.

Before now I have been gathering a few bits and cleaning up the CA18DET with the idea I would put the engine and nissan gearbox in the car, run a Link ECU and make some serious power in a lightish car. 

The problem with this swap is that although i have most of the bits apart from the ECU to get this running, the added costs of the swap and immediate suspension/ braking/ chassis modifications along with the cert would easily add 8K to the project that i don't really have put aside to finish the car in a timely manner. 

Aswell as the added cost of the turbo swap, it wouldn't exactly give me a car that i would like, it would be far heavier than standard and quite a handful, given the short wheelbase and lack of weight over the rear wheels.

It might make a good track car but thats not really what i want to build this car for, its too hard to find body parts and  if i wrecked the chassis i would have a hard time finding another in useable condition. 

With all of this taken into account i have decided to stick with the 1600 CVH ford and 5spd type 9 gearbox, the engine although never going to match the power of the CA does have tuning potential (especially because i have the desirable "cross hatched" head giving me the option of going to ridiculously large valves in the future. A set of carbs, a nice flowing exhaust and a cam should see some decent gains for a reasonable outlay without having to immediately pay for a Cert. 

With 125HP and the option of lightening the car to closer to 700KG over the standard 800KG should give me a nicely handling car that will handle well and be sporty though not overly fast.

The car could also be put on the road much sooner for less immediate outlay and slowly built up over time. Just sick of it sitting in bits.

Looking at what others run on these engines a set of carbs where high up the priority list if even only for the sound on an otherwise standard engine. Side Drafts were not going to work with the brake booster and bulkhead wrapping around the engine the way they do so i opted to go for downdraft carbs, 40mm IDF webers. PIcked up a set off a Alfa Sud, look in good condition and being off a 1700cc eningine will hopefully be close to the set up the standard cvh will need.

1621945_10201302011543605_855665286_n.jp

the only problem with the downdrafts is the low bonnet line on the ss1, requiring the inner skin to be cut out at minimum and a possibly small bonnet bulge.

heres an example of a ss1 running downdrafts and a bonnet vent to clear them.

DSC_0794.jpg

You can buy cast alloy manifolds for IDF's on a CVH from burton power but at $650 delivered  (after customs adds GST) I will be opting for making my own out of steel especially as Uni has just got a new laser cutter that can cut metal :) I also have a spare bonnet in rough condition that I got for a box of beer so im not concerned about having to modify the bonnet 

The lean of the CVH does lend itself to a lot of room for nice exhaust headers I will be sticking to mild steel though

AAExh01_zps62361bd1.jpg

Thats all for now im getting close to the few final removal/ replacement cycles of the tub with everything almost positioned  before the bracing is added before the chassis goes for sandblasting