Kitch's 1971 Datsun 1200 Coupe

kitch

Link to Project Discussion:

Kitchs 1971 Datsun 1200 Coupe - Project Discussion

So here’s a build thread on my 1200 coupe, for those that are interested

Bit long winded in the following posts, but there is a few years of work to bring readers up to speed.

Few of you guys will know about my build from NZDatsun, but for others I hope you like what I am up to with this wee dato.

1971 Datsun KB110 1200 Coupe.

I brought this about 5 years ago, from a guy who rallies these from Christchurch. This car was a spare ‘shell’ he acquired, but as it was 95% complete & original, with live registration and plates, he on-sold it to me, as it was too good to cut up for spare panels.

Here are a couple of photos below, of when I brought it June 2007.

img1647j.jpg

img1658rq.jpg

img1652i.jpg

img1650si.jpg

I had it fully sodium blasted inside, outside and upside down, to show all the sins.

Been coated in epoxy primer, and been in dry storage ever since.

In typical 1200 fashion it needs the bottoms of the A pillars rebuilt from rust, and new sills stitched on, and rust around the guards around tops of wheel arches. and a few bits around rear beaver panel where it joins rear guards, and a few holes around the tail light openings.

Bonnet is pristine, as is roof and all pillars, strut towers, firewall and around windows (except some holes under rear 1/4 windows, where water must have gotten under the chrome) wee punt in the boot, and a couple of knocks to the front valance, but very straight and original car, no big punts or hits evident in its history.

coupee017.jpg

I started buying up a heap of NOS & NORS parts from Japan, Australia, USA, etc as I found them on the interweb thingey, and my paypal account was regularly getting a hammering.

I then got a bit addicted to buying up on Datsun 1200’s and parts. And parted out a number of rusty road cars & rally cars. I seem to be buying cars just cause I wanted a gearbox, or some interior parts or whatever.

I then came across a cheap 1200 sedan on trademe that was an insurance write off. Was actually very tidy, so I got a bit distracted for 2-3 years and poured all my time, effort and $ into this, repairing, rust removal, repainting, building motors, lowering, replacing new parts etc. It was a great wee car, and I miss it heaps, but had to flick it off to progress the coupe, and my wife wouldn’t let me have two “money pit” datsuns in the garage!

polished009.jpg

wilbur037.jpg

mirrors002.jpg

So after a couple of years with the coupe tucked up in the back of the garage. I was back on to concentrating on the coupe.

Luckily all the original plastics and interior are in pretty much faultless condition (for a 40+ year old car at least!) not a mark on the dash, got some solid door cards, and all plastics are there and in real good nic.

Plan originally was to restore to stock original look, but having the sedan taught me that A series datsuns are really a lot more fun with side draughts and some engine work, along with a 5 speed for cruising, and some suspension and brake work to overcome the soft factory stuff.

So decided that JDM type look is the go, with upgraded suspension, brakes & diff. I don’t want the big flared guard look, as want it to look like a cool road car rather than a full circuit car.

After much deliberation, and ideas, I have decided to stick to A series running. Each to their own, but the Twin cam turbo Nissan repower is just not my cup of tea (an getting pretty common), I love the sound of a push rod A series engine revving, and I love the fact that anyone (including me) can find your way around an A series motor. I also love the lightweight nimble handling car that is associated with using A series motor, ie 700kg and 120hp can still be a lot of fun!

After some youtube surfing, I feel in love with the sound of ITB’s so decided to go to what turned out to be a time and money consuming task of developing my own custom EFI / ITB setup.

• Like 1

The car was out at my mates for a good proportion of 2011 having every ounce of rust removed, new custom sills made and fitted, new custom rear wheel arches, and general body repairs and tidy up.

My mate who runs H-Bomb Customs & Classics, has done 95% of the body work repairs now. Here are a few selected pic’s of the body restoration.

dscf2301u.jpg

dscf2446x.jpg

dscf2445m.jpg

dscf2604o.jpg

dscf2647an.jpg

dscf2682y.jpg

dscf2677as.jpg

dscf2703z.jpg

dscf2664r.jpg

dscf2721c.jpg

Essentially it just needs the front doors rust repaired, and final body fill, and few wee imperfections to sort out, then its ready for paint.

The last 18 months I have been pretty busy, and have finished all of the suspension, brakes, diff upgrades, and all but finished my custom EFI setup.

Front End

 Shortened original strut housings

 New Shorter Gas inserts

 HSD coilover sleeve kit

 New Larger Sunny ball joints, and Sunny LCA’s

 120Y 20mm swaybar

 D2 camber kit

 Custom Alloy bump steer spacers

 S13 Brake upgrade, new master cylinder

 Braided brake lines

 All new bearings, seals, nolethane bushes etc

 New steering & link arms, idler arm etc

 Powder coated / repainted all components

dscf2697d.jpg

dscf2743p.jpg

dscf2704w.jpg

Rear End

 H165 Ute 4.1 rear diff

 Machined Drums, new shoes, wheel cylinders

 Reset real leafs with extra spring fitted

 New Nolethane bushes

 New brake lines & hand brake lines

 Custom Panhard rod setup

p1030062w.jpg

dscf2747o.jpg

Engine

 Rebuilt mildy worked A15

 My own design custom made manifold/EFI setup

 4AGE Silver top ITB’s & T3 techno tuning trumpets

 Custom fuel delivery system

 EDIS ignition setup

 Innovate 02 wideband setup

 Megasquirt V3 (fuel & spark)

 Silicon hoses throughout etc

p4180140.jpg

p4180139.jpg

Other bits I have lined up for the coupe.

Nissan 280Z seats (yet to be retrimmed)

p1170067.jpg

Zinc plating ready to be fitted

p2230058.jpg

I have brought new chrome bumpers & trim, window rubbers & body plastics and rubbers etc, new horns, new wiper arms, new gear knob, new combination lights, Crystal headlights with upgraded relay electrical circuit. Chin spoiler, bullet fender mirrors, Techno Phantom wheels,

Only things really left to purchase is front ¼ rubbers, carpet & Dynamat and miscellaneous bits and pieces…. Oh and pay for a paint job…..

Hoping to have EFI startup in next month or so, and car on road later in 2012 all going well.

Car as it looks at present:

p3210084.jpg

p3210083.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Engine bay now painted. was an exhausting task to establish exact factory red colour

but it looks so lush I am stoked. be home in next couple of days, as I plan to fit out

engine and interior before, returning car to my mates, for final repairs to doors and

front guards, before final paint.

pc210290.jpg

pc210291.jpg

pc210292.jpg

• 2 months later...

Started some of the fitout work, since getting car back during Xmas break.

Fitted up all the front end suspension, new nolathane bushes, upgraded brakes etc

New Hard brake lines I made a few months back all fitted up, and bled.

p1130328v.jpg

p1130329.jpg

p1290344.jpg

p1290345f.jpg

Fitted up my new spare rims (14x6.5") running 185/55 (yes I know mags need refurbished)

checked clearance to brake discs/caliper asssemblies, and dropped car on its feet.

p1290349.jpg

p1290346.jpg

p1290347.jpg

Dynamat Superlite applied to floor pan, boot, wheel well & firewall areas

looks pretty cool, and hoping for some good acoustic improvements

p2150366.jpg

p2150367.jpg

Got the Gearbox custom mount installed:

p2180410.jpg

Got the new A14 motor & reconditioned 5 speed box in the hole

Fitted up my new ARP Head Studs, GX Head Gasket, my new head

after some minor mod's for stud holes to suit my EFI manifold,

assembled and setup top end.

This High comp A14 C/R will be 11:1 with this setup, so

will be making some sweet sounds on those ITB's in the not to

distant future I hope!

p2180413.jpg

p2180414.jpg

p2180415s.jpg

I have the next 2 layers of sound insulation on order, so will get that in

before completing the internal wiring through the car.

Also hope to get the flows & ITB's mounted back up in next few days

I have a bit to sort out with my under car fuel surge tank setup &

connection of fuel lines, but should be not to much of a drama.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Driveshaft getting shortened this week I hope.

Be good to move this car under its own power for the first time in the 5 years I have owned it!

Hope to get in to get brakes and exhaust sorted after that, then off for paint!

Still hoping to get on the road in the (fast approaching) Summer...

• 7 months later...

So a long overdue update on the coupe.

I see I last updated this thread in July 2013.....

Have had a few distractions over the last while, and played around with a couple of 310 sunnys. also packed a sulk for a while on the coupe after lack of progress, so did nothing for 3 or 4 months on it. But back into it the last month or so with rejuvenated enthusiasm!

20131022_200229_zpsb1d3f10a.jpg

front_zpscb41570a.jpg

20140123_2051541_zps9f5cbcc2.jpg

Trying to get my bearings with what I have done on Coupe since July, but here is a basic summary:

> New Surge Tank system mounted under car, with submerged pump setup (Bosche 044) & face lift pump

new fuel lines permanently hooked up & P-clamped etc

> Relocated Battery to boot, new 8ga wiring network etc. also new remote fuel relay setup in boot area

with new heavy wiring to both fuel pumps etc (after a small electrical fry up due to under spec wiring!)

> Tidied up wiring & new looms, plastic sleeving over etc

> Fitted up my Raybrig H4 lights, and fixed my stupid damn corroded light switch assembly

> New balanced shortened drive shaft fitted up, diff filled with oil, shifter fitted with new bushes

> purchased bolts & fitted up panhard rod properly & centered up rear end

> Had Rapid Performance bleed / test braking circuit, fix leaks, and complete exhaust system

> Made my own custom spark plug leads & fitted new Coil pack

> Finished sound deadening application t o body (Dynamat with combination mass loaded vinyl layer over)

> brought a few NOS genuine parts in anticipation of final fitout, like rubber grommets, side markers,

front combination lights, armrests, Heater control valve, voltage regulator,

> Assembled all steering components & tightened all bolts, new split pins etc

> Busy at moment re-upholstering my front (S30/260Z) seats & overhauling the mechanical parts

Start up / tuning has been a real hassle, I had a couple of months of no real success, and that brought on a bit of a hyatus of work on the coupe while I sulked! Damn my ITB dreams!! I drove car once up my drive spluttering & misfiring before I stopped work, till I sorted out a few issues!

ECU has been away since end of September getting checked out, upgraded and faulty MAP sensor replaced,

along with adding a bluetooth tuning module to it, I should finally have back next week! I am real excited & nervous to see what success I have on next startup effort!

Few random pics below of what I have achieved

20131005_082415_zpsfd12f386.jpg

20130901_133658_zps99b81fb7.jpg

20130828_173433_zpsb0c1d8e4.jpg

P7020493_zps533d1c9d.jpg

P6230490_zps13a513e7.jpg

P6230487_zps03c3b668.jpg

20140310_205938_zps3b2244f1.jpg

20140209_145505_zps5919fdef.jpg

20140319_220846_zpsd8ef3302.jpg

• Like 1

Woo-hoo after 5 months of patiently waiting my Megasquirt ECU is back!

Replaced few dodgey bits, includling MAP sensorm and new firmware & ITB base tune

been waiting for replacement parts, and new Bluetooth adaptor , so can tune from android phone/tablet

(you can see it below ecu, covered in heat shrink)

So had to spend an hour or two in garage tonight,

Installed Dash up, wired it up, connected New tacho circuit, 

Fitted up ECU, installed new voltage regulator

Also gave engine bay a quick wipe down to take dust off - still happy with how it all looks, just need

to sort out a wee surge tank with breather to go on firewall to take crank & rocker breather pipes.

just need to fill it with fuel & water, and upload latest firmware to the laptop,  

and then I am ready for next start-up effort!

20140325_204252_zps1eb47603.jpg

20140325_204443_zpsd29d6f2d.jpg

20140325_204502_zps6da901f3.jpg

20140325_204530_zps2afd3305.jpg

• Like 4