Mrs Solidstripe's Daihatsu Hijet

Flew down to Palmy and drove this back yesterday for the Mrs - got home 10 hours later!! 50-80kph + a few stops cause it was getting a bit warm and didn't want to fry it.

Has a 1 litre Charade 3 banger put into it, up on the 850cc it had in it, the old boy who had it made up some stainless extractors and ehaust for it cause he didn't want it to rust hahaha...

An absolute gem, maintained like nothing else - the old boy who owned it has taken the skins off the interior panels and sprayed with CRC once a year, so it won't rust. One of the indicator bulbs wasn't working so he took it to the Auto sparkey and told them to replace every bulb in the vehicle! So I have a nice jar of perfectly good spare bulbs hahaha... Have all the reciepts for everything. He's also recorded the perfect amount of turns to lower the spare tyre under the carpet - 60. Not 59, and not 61. It shall be 60 turns and no more or less. OCD much?

I think it must still have the 850 gearbox cause around town it hauls but starts ringing out about 80kph, pretty low geared but perfect city hauler!

P1010352.jpg

P1010358.jpg

Charade engine

P1010371.jpg

Stainless steel extractors leading to the stainless exhaust:

P1010372.jpg

Got some sweet cassettes the other day for the tape player (the animals, cream, otis redding etc etc)

P1010373.jpg

Todays mission, clean up the rear seat frame and find the anchor points for the seat belts and put them in.

P1010374.jpg

Interior isn't too shabby, except for the carpet. Lucky the wife works right beside Carpet Court so hopefully they'll have some off cuts that suit so I can replace it. Need about 3mx1.3m.

P1010376.jpg

So last night it's having a wee bit of trouble. The engine stalls/cuts out when ever I'm in neutral or the clutch is pressed in for more than 2 seconds. The RPM's just drop and it dies. I remember having this problem years ago and can't remember what it was.

And sounds/feels a bit iffy when driving. Any ideas? Vacuum leak? EGR valve?

• 4 months later...

Hey y'all. Just a quick question, and if you can answer I'll get ya some jelly beans if ever I see you.

The van has what I presume is a breather hole in the gas filler lid. If we fill much over half way with petrol, it start peeing out this breather hole. Now I think the garage smells great with the gas smell, but the wifes not too keen and the puddle on the floor is money down the drain. Any ideas how to stop it? Drill a hole in the top of the petrol tank?

I figure it's some kind of pressure problem. Cause once the cars been running a while, i'm guessing the petrol might heat up a tad and expand/cause pressure problems or something?

That's my best guess, but some help would be appreciated. Cheers ears!

• 3 years later...

Heya!!

May be a bit random, but we are in Tauranga and have had an '89 hijet for a few years (kermit).  Have just sold her but have ooodles of parts- including a couple of spare engines that buyer doesn't want.  Do you still have this beast and do you want any parts? Alternative is to take them to the scrap-yard but would really love for them to be used as parts rather than just metal :)