Lincoolns 1986 Fuego Turbo

Lincooln

More stuff.

Cam is now re-ground. and the followers re surfaced. My cam guy was not happy about making the cam and the followers flat, but he did it. haha, but he did forget to press on the cam sprocket.

Cam is a turbo mild road and I will post up a full cam spec card when I get it soon. It is a huge difference to the original cam, which is very cool indeed.

20150201_134953.jpg
20150201_134907.jpg

Specs of the new cam:

Looks like I will need to check the compression ratio now, as the standard one is 8.1, but the head has been ground a bit, but I feel like it will need more. And this coupled with a new turbo, should be some fun.

Auckland Cams #206 I

Intake duration @010”: 266 degrees
Exhaust duration @.010”: 266 degrees
Intake duration @050”: 211 degrees
Exhaust duration @.050”: 211 degrees
Intake cam lift: .244”
Exhaust cam lift: .244”
LCA: 112 degrees
Mild Road Turbo cam. Strong midrange and good upper rpm performance. This cam will give a slight idle. Works best with 8.5-8.7:1 compression ratio.

Timing at .050” lifter rise

Intake opens 4.5 deg ATDC
Intake closes 35.5 ABDC
Exhaust opens 39.5 deg BBDC
Exhaust closes 8.5 BTDC

Intake centerline: 110 deg ATDC
Exhaust centerline 114 deg BTDC

Intake valve lash: .012””
Exhaust valve lash: .014”

Cheers

Henry van Vugt
Auckland Camshafts Limited

Old Cam Specs:

Intake duration @010”: 240 degrees
Exhaust duration @.010”: 240 degrees
Intake duration @050”: 175 degrees
Exhaust duration @.050”: 175 degrees
Intake cam lift: .195”
Exhaust cam lift: .195”
LCA: 111 degrees

And Because I have been asked as to hwy the followers are flat, here is an explantion:

Two reason for this. firstly, this design has been proved through Numerous race motors built by Frans, and some of his reasoning is at this link:http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/technical-performance/89618-807-competition-motor-2.html

and secondly, looking at it from a lubrication point of view, as the follower is offset on the cam lobe (50-75% coverage of the lobe), it naturally gets a rotation going, also being flat will help induce hydrodynamic lubrication. As in when the follower reaches the top or bottom of the lobe, it draws oil under itself, which is enough to keep it lubricated for the lift/drop of the valve. The rotation insures that new oil is still being brought in under the follower and even wear is achieved.

At least that is how I see it playing out...

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Yay lots have been happening.

So engine was finally dis-assembled, cleaned of all the huge amount of varnish buildup. Poor old motor hadn't been very well looked after apparently. 

Frans helped me CC the head to check on how much need to be skimmed off. this was due to the cam needing 8.5-8.7 compression. Turns out it was all good. Took the head into the head shop, resurfaced the valves, bead blasted head, re do the valve seats, then I took block in to be cleaned properly, and a small amount of corrosion on the liner seats on 1 and 4 was discovered, so that needs to be fixed.

Engine mounts are being re rubbered with solid infills to minimize twist. Radiator has been checked,cleaned and painted, starter has been rebuilt, alternator has been re built.

Need to get some shim stock to make spacers for the liners. This is due to Frans machining a lip into the top of the cylinder liner, this then compressors into teh fire ring on the head gasket. providing better sealing and less chance for the liner to move and break the bottom seal.

Engine will need to be painted once it is back together, also need to clean intake Manifield, paint lots of little bits and get the clutch rebuilt and flywheel machined. But it is getting there. Hopefully have the motor back in the hole before I start racing in October.

Picture dump below. Pictures of Clean parts, old dirty parts and an engine block being disassembled in a lounge.

20150707_162207.jpg

20150617_202604.jpg

IMG_20150603_123636.jpg

20150601_181406.jpg

20150516_151345.jpg

20150516_151333.jpg

20150516_151357.jpg

20150516_122453.jpg

20150516_151327.jpg

• Like 1