Mitsi Galant GTO...Parts!

Isaac

Hello all,

I'm new to the whole forum thing and to be honest, restoration.... I have 73 galant GTO GS2000 and was wondering if anyone could help me out with a front RH guard?? Also, are there any differences between the years/models with these guards or other body panels?

Cheers, Isaac.

Hi Isaac,

I'm new here too and restoring a GTO myself. I have had two GTO's previously. The body panels will be all the same I'm sure. All the different models from 1970-1977 had the same panels as far as I am aware. There was a guy selling guard(s) on Trademe a while ago. You may turn up something looking through completed auctions. Which part of NZ are you in?

Cheers,

Damo.

There are four different front guards, but only one that is common and that is the type on the GS 2000. The other 3 guards are from different GSR models. The other panel that is different is the valance. The differences can be seen in the photos below.

5f947e59444561.gif 240ea731689513.gif 7501d931689519.gif 6f037131861811.gif 87aed931689495.gif

Good metal guards are very hard to find. There is one good one up on yahoo japan at the moment, but the price is extreme http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/72636443.

The other option is get a fiberglass replacement from F.A.R. (Fiberglass Auto Replacements) in Gisborne, but these can be very tricky to fit and take a lot of effort to them them to work.

Just looking at the parts book, the GSR is the only one with a different part number. Is it not the same though apart from the over fenders which are an add on anyway?

I had a search through the completed listings on Trademe too but couldn't find the guard I was thinking of. There is a guy though selling parts in Auckland and has them listed just as 'Mitsubishi GTO 1973 parts'. He may have a guard.

Cheers, Damo.

The parts book only covers the 73-74 models and those guards are shown on the blue and red cars. The guards with the front air dam are from the 75-77 models and are on the white cars. All GTO guards will fit on any GTO without issues. The guards with the over fenders are different as the metal lip/flare is cut away and they have welded nuts for the flares. The photo below is from a 74 GSR and shows what the cut away.

d15a98144767809.jpg

I had a look at the two cars the guy on trademe is parting out before he brought them. The guards are very rusty but look reasonable straight see below.

1163ad144769428.jpg 4e1528144769439.jpg cac7b9144769447.jpg

Thanks for the feedback!

Damo, I am in the Waikato at the moment, with the car currently at my old mans place in Tauranga.

Looks like I am going to have a bit of a hunt on my hands then (unless I fork out 48000 yen!). These are really cool cars I'm looking forward to getting stuck into it.

Cheers