KE70 GL's Racecar ke70

KE70 GL

Discussion: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=28520

Hello, figured i should join up instead of just using my brother's account all the time and post some info on my car.

I used to have a KP60 with a 4EFTE race car which i sold and brought a very unloved AE86 Levin to turn into my new race car however we took it a bit too far and the car ended up far to nice to turn into a track car so heres where my story begins really.

What i started with

Complete from radiator to diff AE86 engine package
DSC04602_zpsf1977f16.jpg
DSC04603_zps54738e24.jpg

1982 Corolla GL KE70 Rally Car Rolling Body
DSC04605_zps778f2e80.jpg

DSC04608_zps1a0c1ec5.jpg
Car was setup to run a 20v 4age and had quite a few goodies on it:
T series drum rear end with the drums removed and some Nissan rotors and calipers on it, quaife quick rack, bilstein shocks and unknown rally springs, all new bushings, oil cooler, adjustable arms, a cool homemade strut brace, aftermarket gauges, 5point belts, full cage through to the strut towers and is attached to the frame in several places, seam welded body, wilwood brake bias, hydraulic handbrake, surge tank and external fuel pump, all alloy fuel lines and handbrake lines, moded crossmember and all waterlines to suit a 20v, a rather large radiator and a 1piece driveshaft

Body is very tidy for something that has been gravel bashed for the last few years, still orignal paint and i've found no rust in it.

Part of the deal was that i had to return the rally wheels and tyres to the person i brought the car off so first job was to chuck whatever wheels we had sitting round on it, oh and i washed it too

DSC04615_zpsb9a8e3cd.jpg

DSC04616_zps3b17fac3.jpg

Pictures of the interior after i cleaned all the dirt/dust out of it

DSC04621_zps3d1746d4.jpg

DSC04622_zpsb034775b.jpg

DSC04623_zpsa87172e5.jpg

Fuel setup in the boot
DSC04620_zpsadc66e31.jpg

The first week we had the car we fitted the 4age and T50, the modded crossmember was poos so we used the factory AE86 crossmember we had and a TE71 gearbox crossmember, also took the rally suspension out of the rear and replaced it with TRD 5.5kg springs and no shocks but that didn't really matter at the time, at this stage we were still working out what to do with the front suspension
DSC04624_zps7bd8c7dd.jpg

DSC04627_zps4d68b4c5.jpg

The black bonnet on the car was off a twin headlite model so it fitted like shit, i ended up buying a complete front end even tho i only wanted the bonnet but hey its nice to have spares, looked much better with the right bonnet after i painted it but it still needed some bumpers
DSC04720_zps641a875c.jpg

My seats after coming back from patrick auto trimers, they are genuine Recaro SPG-N FIA approved, by far the best fixed back seats i've ever had and i've owned more race seats then i can count
DSC04696_zpsabe3cd90.jpg

Finally managed to track down some bumpers but the front one only had 1 endcap
DSC04784_zps315c4308.jpg

DSC04788_zps25e0757f.jpg

Heres how the car looks as of yesterday, we fitted the front suspenion which was AE86 struts made into coilovers using 8kg springs, TRD shocks and Cusco camber plates, swaped the adjustable KE70 lower arms for some AE86 ones, also fitted my TRD shocks to the rear, Also have removed the drum rearend and fitted a factory AE86 disc rearend, oh and i found a endcap to complete my bumpers.
P1030225_zpsea4fcdeb.jpg

Still need to fit my TRD 2way LSD so need to pull the rearend apart again grrrr why couldn't it arrive before we swapped the rearends over and the car must have been fitted with a k50 before as the driveshaft it came with doesn't fit in the T50 so we will be using a factory AE86 2piece driveshaft

So now the car is fitted with complete AE86 running gear/brakes/suspesion which i'm much happier with as it makes buying replacement parts easier if something breaks rather then having a bunch of mystery stuff in it, basicly we have changed almost everything that was on the car when we got it.

Heres how the engine bay is looking at the moment, we ended up using the factory AE86 radiator instead of the one that came with the car, my sandwich plate arrived on Friday so i can sort the oil cooler out now
P1030226_zps32a73a29.jpg

Still needs to be wiried up but we have a few complete AE86 ecus and looms so shouldn't be a major, also need to sort exhaust out.

• 3 weeks later...

Bit working on this when i can, Got my RCA's fitted so front suspension is now complete, also made a new battery clamp and got the battery mounted, radiator is now mounted, sandwich plate is on and is plumbed up to the oil cooler and catch can is now mounted, only little things really but it all adds up

SAM_0075_zps4558a26f.jpg

• 2 months later...

Posting on behalf of my Bro,

New track wheels arrived from Japan the other day

DSC01358.jpg

13x7, +1 offset Volk Mesh.

Using 13's allows us to use 2nd hand TRS Slicks for certain club events

May chuck on some crappy road tyres for a test fit/photos shortly/Should really finish wiring this thing & do some skids

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Ok so haven't posted about this in ages, i've fixed all the pictures links since i changed my photobucket account so everything should be working.

Have been slowly plugging away with this thing but since starting my own business i haven't really been in a position to put much money into this thing lately.

Engine bay as it sits now, engine is wired up and all unnecessary wiring has been removed, have gone to an electric radiator fan as the stock fan ended up being to far away from the radiator to be much use, intake has been changed and exhaust manifold fitted, also changed camber plates

SAM_1332_zpsc91cab6f.jpg

ECU,switches,fuses have all been mounted up inside and also have fitted a factory rev counter dash which has been repined so everything works as normal, lots of other little stuff too new wheel bearings, new brake rotors etc

Picked up some more 13s which are fitted with 2nd hand TRS slicks will most likely buy brand new slicks for racing on but these will be fine for practice

Of course you have to have your company name on the car somewhere

SAM_1189_zps44b8a54c.jpg

20130723_075827_zps7d7c68d8.jpg

• Like 4