Lou's Mazda B1600

lou

Hi guys.

Thought I'd post up a project thread for my B1600. Picked her up on the weekend for what I think is a pretty decent price considering the condition.

She is however currently un-wof'd and unregistered but that should change in the next couple of weeks.

This is the only picture I have so far. One I pulled off the trademe auction.

199735_10150123508989272_764784271_6609598_2865321_n.jpg

The paint work isn't quite as good as she looks in the photo. there are a couple of cracks where they have used bog to shave the seems and the prep work on the door sill's wasnt the tidiest. Other than that she's straight as with the only major rust being on the tailgate.

I also have receipts adding up to 3.5k for a rebuild that was done middle of 2010.

It has been for the wof check and there is a little bit of a list but nothing I consider too major.

[*]Plate lights painted over (New aftermarket side lights installed)

[*]Horn not working (Fixed. Just a blown fuse)

[*]Gear know tightned (Done)

[*]Brake lights not working

[*]small amounts of rust bubbling near the passenger lock and drivers hinge (At the panelbeaters now getting done and having some play in the door hinge removed as well)

[*]Front wheel bearings

[*]Headlight alignment

[*]Rear brakes balanced

Also, the current hilux rims on there have a funny offset and are cutting into the wishbone at full lock, so a new set of rims are on the cards.

While the trucks in the shop (Should be out on friday) I'm gonna sort out the rims.

Given the fact that the tyres are virtualy new on it, I thought I would work around them and get something to suit.

The tyres are currently 195 50 R15's. Initialy I was going to for some secondhand 15 x 8"s and stretch the tyres.

However, I now think I'm just gonna buy a brand new set of 15 x 7"s. I've come up with a few choices.

Black Rock Type 8

Type-8-997-400.jpg

Cragar Quicktricks

320%20Quick%20Trick%20I%20Chrome%20Steel%20RWD.jpg

Koya AE Tek's

KOYA_AE_TEK2006030_m.jpg

So far I'm leaning towards the quicktricks.

Did a little bit of work on her today.

Have fixed the heater/fan so I dont have to drive to work with the window down so the windscreen doesnt fog up 8)

Also ran a 4 gauge cable from the battery up into the dash to a splitter box for when I install a radio and amp.

And did a small amount of troubleshooting on the brake lights. Not the bulbs, and not the switch on the pedal either so must me a short or something further down the line.

will get under her and have a play tomorrow, weather/time permitting.

The wheels have also been ordered as of friday arvo, and should arrive sometime tomorrow. I will update with pics as soo as they are on. :badgrin:

206376_10150146995409272_764784271_6672810_5810842_n.jpg

Becasue of this fricken shitty weather I wasn't able to take any decent photo's. That is a bit of a teaser till I get around to it.

So all that remaims now for the warrant is this...

[*]Brake lights not working

[*]Front wheel bearings (picked them up today)

[*]Headlight alignment

[*]Rear brakes balanced

I'll do the brakes when I get off my arse. The rest I'll just pay my mechanic.

So almost a week of no free time mixed in with some shit weather, I finaly have some pics of the truck on its new feet.

The wheels are 15"x7 on the front and 15"x8 on the rear, both with 195x50's

Will look at dropping the fronts down in size for a bit more stretch when I need a new pair.

207486_10150152327039272_764784271_6710346_1888210_n.jpg

218054_10150152332684272_764784271_6710480_5275344_n.jpg

And this is a photo of how the interior has been retrimmed. The dash will be recovered soon-ish and will probably redo the doorcards in vinyl when

I decide to install some speakers.

217474_10150152334129272_764784271_6710510_6606067_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Today was a rather productive day. Brake lights all fixed and working. Also, after a significant amount of badgering from know all mates I ended up attacking the wheel bearings myself. So i gave them ago today and have taken the existing ones out ready for the new ones to go in. Only took about 20mins and would of finished them today but I couldnt get the grease because of the bloody easter trading.

Have also spend a little bit of time installing a stereo setup.

Reciever

KD-R626.jpg

Door speakers

CS-V627.jpg

Small amp for speakers mounted under the seat

CA-AM10900_700x700-333x333.jpg

Just a basic setup for now. Will be making new door cards at some stage as the originals are pretty far fecked. When I do this I will probably upgrade the speakers to a set of components and mount a slim sub behind the seat for a bit better sound. At the moment its a bit muddy due to it being put out through 2-way speakers only.

One problem I did have was the RCA and arial connectors. The are located on the back of the HU directly in front of the metal heater duct pipe. There is minimal room there so I have had to modify the RCA cables so they have a right angle bend on the plug. I did originaly try the bought adapters but even they where too big to fit in there. I havent got a shit show in hell of getting the arial to fit in. If anyone has any idea's there it would be greatly appreciated.

Today I finished off the wheel bearings and also added some new wiper blades.

I also added some silver pinstriping along the length of the body work and also around the outside of the wheels.

Might look at re-doing the wheels at some stage as they aren't perfect but they do look pretty sweet and it breaks up the mono tone black on blue I had going on.

Heres a quick photo. Doesnt do it justice.

230893_10150165563344272_764784271_6840321_1927378_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Text update: (Yeah yeah, I know yall hate not getting pictures. I'll get some decent ones at some stage.)

Right, So shes ready to go for a WOF. Did the back brakes the other day and everything else had been done.

I intended to take her in on thursday but didnt get time in the end. As she was having a bit of a miss and the odd flat spot I decided to change the leads.

The originals were miss matched (some bosch, some ngk, had a red one in there). When I started her up, which happened to be for the first time in a week or so she was running on 3. So I pulled the plugs out. The werent too bad but I just decided to replace them. I had a bit of trouble working out what ones to use as the originals were normaly used in a 2 litre MA and not the 1600. Anyway, sorted them out yesterday and put them in this arvo while giving the points a bit of a clean and she now runs mint!

No flat spots or backfiring, and purrs mint.

Have also tried a red pinstripe on the wheels. Looks pretty mean but will need to get hold of some higher qaulity pinstripe as the stuff I bought is semi-seethrough so it shows up any little bubbles or imperfections really easily.

One last note: For those of you who haven't paid much attention to my other threads, I'm currently doing a bit of research into the use of either an SC12 or SC14 supercharger.

Keep tuned for the word on that. Also, your opinions are appreciated.