Rollas22 Mazda '85 S3 RX7

rollas22

Well guys since relocating to Perth few years back ive been threw a few rotary powered cars...

This is my latest, purchased start of 2010 just in time for summer. Drove it for a few months, then its sat in the shed doing nufing until the last few weeks where ive picked up some motivation to get a few things in order.

1985 Mazda Series 3 RX7

12a standard 4port with full exhaust (has all emissions an full electric everything on it)

was a fairly standard condition when i brought it, factory red interior.

Day i brought it was on 16" rims at standard ride height.

Photo0202.jpg

Did a few engine basics, new larger leads, Bosch GT40 coils, New starter motor, fixed a few niggly wiring troubles

P1000416.jpg

Sold the 16" rims an put the standard S3 rims on for the mean time (lowered the car alittle)

P1000414.jpg

P1000415.jpg

Then the car sat in the shed doing nothing, lost motivation due to working on vehicles all day long an didn't want to work on my own. Had the idea of changing interior from red (faded yuck) to black. So brought a rolling S2 rx7 for the full black interior etc, stript the s2 for the good bits an sent it to MAZDA HEAVEN aka scrap metal.

Still with no motivation went with a mate to watch his 13b bridgy hilux get tuned an ended up buying some rx8 seats. Had a bit of motivation so stript my interior out, cleaned it all up fitted the black interior (sprayed it all over with gloass black vinal paint to give it some shine/depth) fitted a momo wheel, stereo etc

P1000437.jpg

P1000438.jpg

Started to take shape, got the motivation back, summers on its way, so brought some 17" rims for her off ausrotary got them sent over from the goldy an fitted them.

Car was rather high for my liking, fitted superlow kings in front, "custom" kings in the rear with shortened bumpstops an shocks.

End result ready for summer cruising with the boys!

P1000440.jpg

P1000443.jpg

So since lowering it few weeks back ive managed to clock up 200odd kms on a few drives on the freeway to work an around the city.. started to notice this squeaking noise coming from the rear (sounds like bushes binding up)

Took to work early sat morning so i could use a pit, was a very tight fit puting a RX7 onto a pit designed to fit primemover trucks on haha. All the bushes are flogged out, so will have to invest in some new bushes in the near future.

On another note, ive purchased more gauges Autometer series from the US'nA an should be here this week...

also purchased a new air filter assy to remove the factory mazda blue pan style thing in the engine bay.

• 3 weeks later...

Rito well after the last time i took it out an having to top it up with water for the 1st time, decided the radiator was on its last legs, ordered a polished alloy one off ebay. Turned up, fitted ready for a sat cruise with a mates rx2 he just got on the road.

re-wired the autometer water temp, have recently had a autometer oil pressure gauge turn up so have to wire that too...

some pics from the start of the drive.. went from home to the beaches/pubs etc.. bout a 50km trip in good temps! nothing beats kiwis in rotas not playing by the ozzie rules!!!

P1000470.jpg

P1000473.jpg

P1000476.jpg

P1000474.jpg

• 1 month later...

So a bit of an update (no pics of yet)

Took the rx7 for a 4hr return trip down south of perth one saturday arvo, water pump started to let go on the way home leaking out the tailtail hole... so it was time to replace the motor i thought. Steam cleaned the engine bay and engine at work an removed the engine.

New motor to go in has been purchased is a 13b bridgeport, s5 13bt housings/plates, s4 NA rotors/internals, lightened flywheel, gillmore drive, 48mm weber IDA + K&N filter, new clutch setup, extractors etc.. has been dyno'd at 201hp at rear wheels in a s3 rx7 (mates car)

engine has been installed, just refitting all the other bits an pieces an re-wiring it in a few areas. New holley blue fuelpump + regulator is in there to help supply the fuel.

Should be back on the road in the newyear, in time for those summer crusies around Perth