tomypg's 1973 Hillman Hunter

tomypg

Discussion here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=23898

Just bought my second car. It's a 1973 Hillman Hunter, Just got it last week and going to be working on getting the engine running first and then running a checklist as follows (hopefully):

Engine running

New front Indicators

WOF

Central Console (with alot of cup holders)

Alarm

Stereo

But heres the catch: It has a 2tgeu transplant with a 4age supercharger on it with a large front mount intercooler, bit of new school mixed in, and also has the 5spd gearbox from a 4age.

Anyway, It's dark now, so only got the trademe photos at the moment. I've been working on mostly the body work at the moment, I took the trim pieces of the side and am filling in the holes so it looks nice, I removed the front and rear bumpers going for a more clean look. Car is just primered atm, this is going to be re primered and painted in red (most likely)

Anyway, pictures for now :)

139928108_full.jpg

139928113_full.jpg

139928116_full.jpg

140510566_full.jpg

THanks for your time

• 2 weeks later...

So, pulled the dash and steering wheel a few days ago. Getting a guy to look at wiring it up soon, most of it is done, just the ecu plugs and ignition barrel.

Dash has cracks so I am fibreglassing the whole thing and molding in some tweeters while I am at it. Should be smoooth. would have pictures BUT the weather sI pack up quickly and really have no time for photos.... Damn rain....

ANytway, Project is in full swing for an ASAP warrent job.

Sending her of to the shop tomorrow to get her wired up and running! Thanks to Cartechnz for hooking me up! Taking it out to him tomorrow arvo. Will get some pictures of her then. Ripped the vinyl of the dash and that is going to be glassed and tweeters moulded into it and the headunit installed. But that will be after the car has a warrent and is running :)

Cheers

Few more pics. Thanks Trej, Nice quality I know haha. More once the car is operational! haha

I went round to Tom's today to help shift his Hillman Munter for transport ot the auto sparkey tomorrow.

here are some pics. Included in them is a poor quality photo of the fur seat headrests which I sewed up whilst watching Coronation St and drinking tea...

060910160911.jpg

By kiwi35 at 2010-09-05

060910161045.jpg

060910160856.jpg

By kiwi35 at 2010-09-05

060910160939.jpg

By kiwi35 at 2010-09-05

So, Dylan is doing a great job on the ol' girl...

He got her turned over, but no spark.... And possibly the fuel pump into the surge tank is buggered... He's taking it for testing tomorrow. I hope that They are all fine, because I'm not working for the next two weeks, so no pay for me..... Cannot really afford new parts.... I got a little work at the Auckland home show though, it pays for my wheel nuts (with locking ones), tacho, and boost gauge (10 buks woohoo).

So, new fuel pump(pumps) and coil pack.

Does anyone have a working fuel pump for cheap they want to sell me? Just an average one to full up the surge tank. And if anyone has a decent one to run from the surge tank to the rails tell me aswell... Got about 150 for good one and 20-30 buks for average one.

Cheers

So, update! YAY

Went to go see the car today after school. Super stoked with CarTechNZ and Dylans work. Awesome dude and awesome work. I turn up to see him in the boot working on the fuel pump. The new one he had was screwed right from the get go and we spent about 2 hours fiddling with it, then to call the guy Dylan got it off to find out that some of them were faulty from factory... PISSED! Because we took the intake of, and with a good can of engine start, got it started for a split second! WOOHOOOOO. So, picking up my second hand fuel pump I got for 25 bux, a bosch item of some sort (gotta love 1$ reserve) and giving it to him later tonight for tomorrow.

Next problem is still the ignition coil, it heapts up quite badly. He only briefly showed me this as we were getting her started for that split second, and it was warm to touch, from the coldness it was before. So we think that the external resistor is in the wrong place. He is working that out tomorrow aswell.

I pad Dylan most of his money so far :) Super happy that this isn't costing any where near as much. Was quite worried for a bit. Also got rid of the surge tank, so if anyone is keen? Had 3 fitting on the top and none on the bottom. Looks about 1.5l?

So, it's Monday and I'm hoping it is working by the weekend? Would be nice hahaha.

Also, new boost gauge arrived, a nice small item 2 inches with carbon look backing, for 14 shipped :) My wheelnuts are on the way! Need those for the warrent :)

VIDEO!!!

SHE LIVES!!!

th_RMOV0730.jpg

Muhahahahahaha, so energized now after hearing that. Leaks from all over though.... Radiator piping, Oil leaks, thats the next task. Dylan has a gasket maker so makes life easier. And also now to start clearing up the wiring...

Sooo stoked though that this thing fired up....

Took her out for a whirl today, sealed up that gasket leak on the piping, flushed everything with a hose to get the rust out, filled her up and started her. No leaks, yay!

Up and down the road, sounds freakin' mean, then got very very hot.....

New problems found:

Possible water pump fail, or thermostat (Please be the thermostat!)

Supercharger pully is slipping like CRAZY! SO no boost at all.

Brakes are pooz...

But highlights is, it turns, it goes forward, it goes backwards and it's not at all slow.

Pictureless update! YAY... I keep forgetting to take my camera out.....

Radiator fan is fixed and wired in.

Supercharger is now wired up, car runs alot nicer now, starts up first go etc etc. Sounded freakin mean. But then ran outta time... So fixing on the ground for the temp sender then take for a test drive to see how hot it gets. YAY, it's coming along.

Yay, another pictureless update, keep forgetting to take my camera and since my phone was stolen I can't even supply low quality goodness.

Anyway, today was a good day:

Wired up the water temp gauge properly, then took for a quick test spin after I had fixed a little oil leak (Thread tape ftw!) ANd IT DIDN't OVERHEAT! I am soo happy, No water overheating, everything worked, took it for a kane, and everything looks good, Charger is boosting BOV it blowing. YAY!

Get back and oil is leaking like a mofo! Argh..... Took out the intercooler, intake piping, radiator so I can attack the problems. Sump is off, cleaned and ready to go back after I take of the front cover and do the main front seal. Cam chain ftw, don't have to much about with marking shit and worry about timing.

So tomorrow I AM TAKING MY CAMERA! And will get sum pics, and get it back together with no leaks please and take for another spin. THen onto lights and warrent, found all the light plugs, so shouldn't be too long before she's legal :)

Okay, soooo maybe these pictures won't make up for previous pictureless updates but I did get some until the camera ran outa room :(

Sump was off so took some photos! :P

NO SUMP!

DSC08966.jpg

DSC08968.jpg

DIRTY great big sump put back on:

DSC08969.jpg

DSC08964.jpg

DSC08965.jpg

DSC08970.jpg

DSC08971.jpg

See the top pipe in blue? The temp gauge sender s on the side to clear the bonnet, how ever, you can turn it so it is vertical to fill up :) Meaning n o more bubbles up there YAY!!!

DSC08973.jpg

Was going to get in and take a video of it driving and to see if any more leaks appear, but ran outta time as I had to get to a band practice :P O well, next day is Thursday as Dylan isn't free tomorrow.

Yay, I want a warrant this weekend!!!!

Okay, so ran out of time a little bit on this as school holidays are over, so I cannot work on it anymore as final exams are coming up and they matter just a little bit more....

Took it for a warrant:

1. Loose front right wheel bearing

2. No lights what so ever.....

3. Ignition barrel not secure ( was down by the clutch)

So Dylan has had the go ahead to wire the bitch up with lighting and fix the oil leak that I screwed up doing :s... Was my first time and it didn't work... :(

Engine is alot cleaner now and all ignition stuff is mounted. Ignition barrel is wired up better and starter motor will be wired in soon.

Cheers, Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Soooooo, the car has been sitting at Dylans workshop for a while now as I have run out of time to work on it myself with exams starting tomorrow (oh shit...) SO i said screw it and Dylan is going to do the work. I said that a little while ago, but Since he is doing a discount rate, I said if any other work comes up do that first. And of course, some work turns up, haha. BUT he did start on it today and traced the wires for all the lights and will fix the two leaks after all the lights are done. Stoked.

Lame with no pictures, but still, warrant in 1 to two weeks, I am so happy. Better god damn pass.....

• 3 weeks later...

Need some help.

We have just tidied up EVERYTHING, All the wiring, ECU, relays, lights, indicators, brake lights, Lengthened hoses for brake boost and stuff so it look tidy, have everything back on again after fixing sump leak, and now it wont start.

It turns over with the start motor, it is getting spark and fuel. Everything should be going. But it's not catching on and running by itself. Any idea on what it could be?

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, so the rush for new years has begun. Indicators have been mounted, coil has been mounted, new ignitor has been mounted, now the car starts and has a decent spark.

BUT, the car runs quite rough. Is this because the timing is off? I did take the dizzy out and down to a shop to be tested. But I was sure it was placed back in approx the same position?

I'll get some photos and a video too just to show the problem.

So to do list:

Mount number plates

Finish of switch board

Wire up indicators

Finish the dashboard (Smooth over the fibreglass)

DONE! I want this soo bad for new years to take to the south island!

UPDATE WITH PICTURES YAY!:

HEre are some pictures:

Interior relay board: DSC02227.jpg

No dash: DSC02226.jpg

All my new ignition shit: DSC02224.jpg

Hmmm, What does the smoke oil stuff mean? We are worried the the 4th cylinder may not be sealing properly. THe spark plug is shot though so we should fix that first. But what cause this kind of pressure build up in the top of the engine? Help please!