Alfasprinters Alfasud Sprint

Thought it was about time i made a thread for my last project, now that it pretty much done haha.

Bought this when i was 14 as something to get my licence in, but kind of got carried away and after going to a trackday at manfeild it became a out and out track car.

this is it when i got it

DSC02959.jpg

DSC02958.jpg

ill upload shots of whats been done when i get them onto computer

so it was a bit tatty when i got it as you can see, so i started fixing the minor rust which i soon found was major rust, 15mm thick bog covering newspaper filled sills. these rust out big time because the rear window drains block, and overflow into the sill cavitys. so me and my old man cut out all the rust and plated it all up.

then we stripped the rest of the car to see what other rust we could find, and we found plenty more, rear of the roof, rear quaters behind wheels, around windscreen... the list goes on, so that all got fixed and we flipped it onto its side.

we stripped the underseal for lightness and suprisingly the floors were mint so we painted it up and sent it away to get caged

backround.jpg

while the car was away being caged (told the guy i wasnt in a hurry) i got offered this through the AROCNZ and who was i to refuse 1200 for a car that was selling for 3-4k at the time, problem was rust

P1010103.jpg

P1010102.jpg

P1010105.jpg

so i fixed the rust and got a wof and reg and drove it for 3 months then this happened..

IMG_0556s.jpg

Which made the descision pretty easy, instead of the hot 125hp 1500cc motor i planned to put in it, id take the engine, loom, factory quad throttles etc out of the 33 and fit it to the sprint and have a cheap and easy 140hp, so i did

P1010106.jpg

so when the car was back from being caged i sent it away to a family friend to paint, along with my acid dipped gaurds, bonnet and doors. when i got it back my eyes hurt for a while, its a very bright yellow!

Picture006.jpg

Picture001.jpg

i got it back and pretty quickly it went back together, made lexan windows all round except the windscreen, new door panelling, modified the steel dash by cutting the bottom half of it off, and rewired the whole car. at this point all it needed was running gear.

So i dismantled the supposedly "rebuilt" engine to check it over and found it was pretty well fucked and needed new rings, a hone, new big ends, gudgeon bushes,main bearings and thrust washers. all 8 exhaust valve guides were well over their limit too so these were replaced.

i got the engine back and re assembeld it myself to the point where i had to fit the oil pump, which also drives the dizzy. The original gears in it were so worn that they had to be replaced, problem was no new parts are available for these oil pumps and new pumps are also no longer available. so i spent around 5 months searching all over the world to find a new pump, nobody had one at any price. so i ended up pulling a second hand pump out of very late 8v 1.7 ie 33 which has the same high flow oil pump as the 16vs. and getting that as good as i could get it with out making new gears. it still wasnt the best but i wanted the car to go.

as luck would have it a brand new pump that had only done 10 laps of taupo came up for sale at a rediculusly cheap price, so thats sitting on the shelf waiting to be fitted. The motor was then fully assembeld and fitted to the car

Picture010.jpg

And started after i replaced the seized fuel pump. Gearbox is the oringinal Sprint veloce close ratio box with 3.9 FD which was rebuilt not long before i bought the car.