simsey's 1982 Toyota AE70 Corolla Hardtop

simsey

I bought this hardtop AE70 in November 2007 for just over a grand.

I actually have two of these,

One of them ive been using as the donor car, which I have pinched a couple of panels and interior bits and peices from.

It sat in the garage for about 8 months after I bought it (not running) So I started to get serious about it in July and I've slowly been working away at it since then, now getting close to finishing..

Hopefully be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel very soon!

Heres some piccies...

The day I bought her

post-6085-1214345330.jpg

post-6085-1214345364.jpg

Did alot of work before getting her to this stage in the next photos, bashed out the guards about an inch more than standard for some nice flare to get some wide wheels in there at some point.. Got rid of some rust in the bottom of the doors, and a huge chunk of rust in the right rear guard. I could put up a whole bunch of pics from the panel work progress but I wouldn't want to bore you haha.

Undercoat with guide coat

IMG_4567.jpg

IMG_4570.jpg

IMG_4568.jpg

IMG_4571.jpg

Engine bay...

Excuse the n00b camera skills.

enginebay1.jpg

enginebay2.jpg

enginebay4.jpg

Stace givin it some tender rubbin..

paintday1.jpg

All sweet to go to the booth..

paintday2.jpg

Shits getting exciting..

paintday3.jpg

paintday4.jpg

paintday5.jpg

paintday6.jpg

paintday7.jpg

There are a few wee imperfections in the final paintjob, but i was kinda expecting that considering this is the first panel job ive ever done on a car.. Overall i'm f@%king wrapped with it..

Adjustable Koni kit

adjustablesleevesandtophats.jpg

rearbumperandwheelpolishedwithautos.jpg

Fitted rear bumper ( note wrong endcaps..:thumbdown: )

backbumperfitted.jpg

Just bought some brand new TRD shock inserts from trademe.

TRDshocks.jpg

Here's the struts all made up..

Also had the brake rotors skimmed.

car018.jpg

Just scored a package I couldn't refuse, a full rwd setup S14 vvt SR20DE with 5spd manual gbox, loom, everything for very, very cheap...

Sold the 4AGE and K50 box I had sitting in there ready to go..

I made a "mock up" cardboard rim the other day to get measurements for my steelies, going for 15" x 8 -12 offset, fills out my flared guards perfectly..

Got stuck in this weekend, got the engine sitting where it will be mounted on the crossmember. Made our measurements for the mounts, just have to tack them to the xmember and take them to get welded up by a pro..

Here's the S14 SR20DE package as it turned up.

car001.jpg

Scored a TE71 pedal box to make hydraulic clutch conversion heaps easier..

car020.jpg

Swapped my power steering rack for a manual rack..

car021.jpg

As you can see the silvia gearbox that came with the motor was very long, couldnt get it to fit without mounting the motor too far forward...

car024.jpg

So we went on the hunt and picked up a gearbox from an L20 Nissan motor from an R30 Skyline..

car023.jpg

Huge difference in size..

car025.jpg

The awesome thing is that the L20 box bolted straight up to my SR20 bellhousing... only thing we had to change was swapping one of the main shaft bearings from the silvia box on to the L20 to make it fit the bell...

Ya can't do an engine swap without getting some serious meat sweats on...

car015.jpg

And this is how it's sitting at the end of the weekend..

car017.jpg

Just another good shot of the car

car008.jpg

Mounts and hydraulic clutch conversion to be finished this week hopefully..

• 2 weeks later...

Well.. Not much to update.. Finished mounting the engine.. Got all the materials for my 2.5" exhaust, should be welding it up tonight / this weekend, with wiring the engine to follow that..

Couple of pics..

Holes we made in the firewall for the hydraulic clutch setup..

car027.jpg

Engine all mounted up!

car029.jpg

2.5" piping for the zorst..

car030.jpg

• 2 months later...

Only a 3 weeks till 4 n Rotary CHCH which I'm putting my car in to with 14 other Club K cars... I'm really pushing to get her finished in time!! This means I will be sticking with factory AE70 radiator and factory diff untill after the show, as I dont have the money to get that stuff in by that time, will be running cut springs in the rear to match whatever height I run in the front, that's untill after the show of course and I can chuck in the adjustable setup with the new diff..

Everything else is pretty much done, engine, exhaust, hyraulic clutch etc etc... Still have to modify driveshaft and make a driveshaft hoop.

NOW.. I REALLY wanted some 14s... Unfortunately I don't have enough money / time to get the rims I want.. So I've gone for the best I can get for cheap..

I'm buying a set of these Sportmax 513 rims (15x8 -0p) which are going to be cheaper than making steelies! They look good and they will do untill I can afford / find some proper jap wheels.

513blk.jpg

Just got tyres the other day, Nankang ns2's 195/45/15's... the guy fucked up and gave me one 16" tyre so gotta get that swapped up..

NewTyres.png

Just a random pic of the SR20 mounted up

SR20DE2.png

• 2 weeks later...

Just got tyres fitted today at Patterson Brothers Tyres, got real good service there.. Also had to get some special small wheel nuts and a special socket for them so they hooked me up with all that too. Put my park bench spec bumpers on front and rear, because I don't have a matching pair of chrome bumpers. I put the carpet in and the rear seat in..

Things to do before show day Saturday:

Find steering rack clamp brackets, put it in and hook it all up to struts

Fit front calipers

Attatch steering colomn to steering rack

Get rear shock rubbers for the diff mounts

Attatch rear boot lock

Get clip for left rear chrome window trim

Find front left bumper indicator (housing & lens)

Fit MR2 seats

Put dash in

That's it.

Had today off work, got heaps of shit done.. Got the rest of the week off to get it all finished.

Here's some pics

newrimsandtyres1.jpg

newrimsandtyres2.jpg

newrimsandtyres3.jpg

newrimsandtyres4.jpg