my 1980 mazda 626 project

rwd_mayhem

project discussion

i sold my 4age SE and now have a new project, a 1980 626.

never done anything to rotarys so this is a good chance to learn, comes with all 12a parts except dizzy (if anyone has one for sale im keen) BUT i have to put it all together, im gonna have to talk to someone who builds them coz the bridgeporting needs to be tidied up and just to get everything checked over.

plans so far are to get the engine all built, paint car (thinking a dark colour, maybe even black) and put some modgies on it (modgies, rotarys and mazdas go together imo)

anyone wanna buy the 17s and wheel adapters?

anyway pics say more than words.

img0742y.jpg

96961882full.jpg

96961666full.jpg

96962140full.jpg

96962280full.jpg

what do you guys think?

• 1 month later...

So I got the motor looked at and half of it is completely fucked and unusable! gutted as!

the housings have too much chrome peel

dscf4191u.jpg

and the back plate where it has been ported the bridge has been welded so i cant use that either!

dscf4189w.jpg

and i need a full rebuild kit as everything else is too warn so its going to be cheaper to buy a complete going motor and get it bridgeported and a freshen up. damn rotaries! at least im learning new shit.

The brakes looked pretty fucked so i decided to replace everything, onto the series 1 struts go new discs, pads, wheel bearings, hoses and i got the calipers re-kitted.

dscf4173q.jpg

also replaced rear shoes and put new fluid through the whole system.

• 2 months later...

since the 12a is gonna cost alot to get rebuilt im just gonna get it going with standard engine all legal etc then i can work on the 12a.

slow progress........

new fuel pump

dscf4634.jpg

engine in with new spark plugs and oil n filter change

dscf4635.jpg

figured out the 5spd (from a '78 121) xmember sits bout 15mm further back than the 4spd and wont fit in so i have to use the 4spd, o well!

its now sitting on turbos in true general lee style lol, i have some 215/50/13s sitting in my room waiting for some cheap 13x7s to pop up.

dscf4636.jpg

mazdas in the garage

dscf4638.jpg

and just for inspiration

dscf4639.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

so its all legal now :D

a couple of hours after I got a wof the diff blew :( hmmmmm no oil....... gutted! so in goes the locky. also I had an accident with a scooter in a moment of stupidity so that explains the big dent in the door, not that the rest of it is very straight.

Drove round for a while a standard height but have now put it where it should be

sdc11374.jpg

sdc11373x.jpg

sdc11372h.jpg

so now its another filthy 62 :lol: