Archetype's 1979 Mazda RX-7

Archetype

Ok, my plan to sort out my caliper clearance issues has not worked with the spacers, so I'm looking into an option that I probably should have done a while ago. FD RX-7 calipers are apparantly narrower than FC calipers (which I have). If anyone happens to have a pair of FD calipers lying around (or on a car - although it'll be a bit hard to measure), I need to find out what the dimensions marked in pink are:

:doubt:

caliper_measurements_1_28_7_10.jpg

caliper_measurements_2_28_7_10.jpg

I'm coming to the realisation that my obsession with making my Longchamps fit my car is a bad idea. These are the wheels that I have wanted to have on the car since I came across them back in 2001, but they are causing too many problems with clearance. I do not want to put flares on the car, and I want to keep my decently sized brakes.

Any ideas for alternative wheels? :|

• 5 months later...

Got a few small updates that I should post up, but at the moment I'm after a free/very cheap car to put in the demolition derby at Baypark on Saturday the 19th of Feb.

Must be front or rear wheel driver (not 4WD), and preferably manual.

Let me know if anyone has something suitable.

• 2 years later...
Guest Archetype

Well - long time, no update. I've been a little bit sidetracked with the build up and racing of my Pro7 RX-7, so my Series 1 has been sitting patiently under a cover for the last 2 years.

I had a reshuffle in the warehouse over the weekend so I could squeeze in another car, so the cover came off for the first time in a very long time.

series_1_rx7_1_15-04-13.jpg

It's amazing how much dust has managed to get through the cover! Damn black cars.

The car has gone backwards a little bit as I've taken a few bits and pieces here and there and used them on the Pro7 car (including the Racetech seats). But on the plus side, the engine has been completed and has been sitting on the floor for about 12 months now, from memory.

It's a 13B PP with pretty much all new parts, including housings, rotors, seals, waterpump, clutch, flywheel, etc. The LSD and axles sitting on the pallet are for my MX5, which will be getting some long-overdue attention soon too.

So now I've got to figure out which car I want to spend my time and money on. The Pro7 RX-7 is going to need a reasonable amount of dollars thrown at it if I want to compete again next season, and we're saving for a house at the moment too. Both the Pro7 and the Series 1 each need about $10,000 spent on them, so I'm going to have to choose one or the other.

• Like 1