XPLOIT's Building a Better ADO16

XPLOIT

Hi all,

Thought I would share what I spend my weekends on.

The Cars:

The main point of this thread is my 1972 Austin 1300GT. Purchased almost two years ago. This photo was taken on the way home from picking it up from Blenhim.

RESIZE.jpg

My 1974 Austin 1300GT has already been restored and is in near perfect and original condition. Photo taken on the way home from Auckland where I purchased this one.

R1.jpg

and Finally, Snoozin's old Triumph 2000. I'm the lucky new owner of it :D

_MG_0036.jpg

The Triumph and the 2nd ADO16 will not really be touched too much but will add updates as they happen.

I am half way though the Austin's build so i'll get up to speed reasonably quickly.

Thanks for looking!

The GT is not completely original. Missing a few GT parts like front grill and seats and also only had a normal 1300 engine in it. This is what inspired me to build it to something different rather than keeping it original.

I decided to lower it. As you do which probably started causing the problems....

R3.jpg

_MG_0104.jpg

Eventually WOF time came around and had the fluid pumped back in, not long after than it started going down again by it's own account. Speed bumps had decided to wear holes into the pipes that link the two fluid bags. Kept driving it however.

My Partner and I decided to go for a road trip to Kaikoura and on the way home (Greta Valley) it packed itself for good. Heard a bang, smoke pouring out the rear of the car. I pulled over and as I slowed down it came to seizing holt. Something was seriously wrong with the gearbox, wouldnt drive, couldnt push it.

I asked a nearby farmer if I could store the car there for a few days until we could get back up with a trailer to get it home.

It took me months of searching to find a suitable replacement engine and gearbox for it. (Engine at the same time as the engine was getting tired.)

So I found this!

Sitting on top of a 20ft container.

DSC00616.jpg

DSC00633.jpg

Went and asked the owner if he would sell it and agreed on a price.

The deal with the car: Was put into storage in 2000 but rego and WOF was kept current until 2005. Rego was then put on hold and finally de-registered in 2009 when it was passed onto the person who I got it off.

The car was fully complete and only took petrol and change of points to get it started.

This might give some indication as to what condition it is in.

DSC00625.jpg

I have taken so many parts off it that is in better condition than the GT's and will update those things shortly.

Plans and Problems

The Triumph 2000:

Problem: Gearbox has become a bit faulty, slipping between gear changes etc. Have been told it is probably the band which is adjustable. I really have no idea as this is my very first Automatic...

Plans: Not much. Pick up the new wheels for it this weekend. Stay tuned and i'll get some pics!

74 1300GT:

Problems: Seats need re-trimming and is currently using excessive amounts of fuel.... Any ideas as to what the problem might be would be appreciated.

Plans: Keep it nice an original and hopefully it will be an investment. Has been seen in a few classic cars shows since I have owned in. CHCH only.

72 1300GT:

Problems: Im not writing an essay here so you get the gist of it.

Plans: Something often driven, bogan and slightly unique. Built they way I want it. Always open to suggestions though!

Discussion started by fuel here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=18818

The interior when I bought it - Missing a few original GT parts like steering wheel, gearknob, seats and the carpet has been replaced, Should be black... I had some spare parts with the other GT so swapped some things over.

DSC00259.jpg

Just a random picture my Partner took. Love it.

OldTimePicnic.jpg

Managed to get some extractors which never got put on but have them ready to go on once the new engine is in.

DSC01914.jpg

Fitted a new steering wheel. Really nice to drive with. Just need a centre for it!

DSC01910.jpg

I then fully rewired a stereo into it. CD/MP3 with 6x9"s and Sub/Amp. Just a cheap simple setup but definately sounds good for a street system. It has all been stripped again now and new system is going in.

DSC01916.jpg

The 74 GT came with these Prelude Seats. I have removed these and putting them into the 72. I have the original seats to go back into the 74 but they need to be recovered. Seat covers will do for now.

DSC01934.jpg

Then I purchased a Personalised Plate. Given it a name.

DSC00383.jpg

Got a Lucas Ammetre too

DSC00374.jpg

Mounted..

DSC00375.jpg

That'll do for now

Found these. Had to buy them. Genuine Lucas y0 and they both still work sweet.

DSC00397.jpg

I have removed bumper and drilled some holes ready to mount them when everything goes back together.

Now is when I did the road trip and it blew up.

Sat around for over six months untouched while I searched for an engine.

Some more pics -

DSC00568.jpg

Once I got the parts car off the 20ft container (via forklift) I sussed out what was good and what my plans were.

DSC00620.jpg

DSC00621.jpg

DSC00622.jpg

The part I really wanted 8)

DSC00624.jpg

Spent a bit of time figuring out why it wouldnt start after a battery and fuel was put in, took the near new points out of the broken engine, cranked it over and fired easy as. I was stoked.

Engine runs so mint, gearbox is nice and tight, clutch is good, everything is just the way it should be.

Couple of videos after I got it started. Ket me know if these links dont work...

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w164/XPLOIT021/th_MOV00635.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w164/XPLOIT021/th_VideoDJ.jpg

removed a couple of things from the orange one, nothing major, just a couple of badges and the wing mirror. It was fitted to the front fender and after removing it, I noticed it was an original BLMC item!

Definately going to polish it up and fit to the GT. The hubcaps also look very sweet on the black steel rims (Look like poos on the silver) so they will be transferred over.

CV's and drive shafts (And probably fornt brakes) will all be swapped to the GT also.

I have bought a twin carb manifold with 2x 1.25" SU Carb's.

New exhaust is needed and the orange one has a hole from when the forklift got it down.

Still have the original air cleaner for the twin set up so that will be painted black also and then fitted with the brand new filters I have lying around.

Every single wire on the engine will be replace with brand new wire and spade terminals.

Everything will be cleaned and/or polished before going back into the new looking engine bay.

Will need to remove the voltage regulator as the new engine has an alternator rather than a generator so wires will need to swapped around to accomodate that.

The build starts.........

DSC00652.jpg

Air cleaners, new down pipes, new filters too.

DSC00653.jpg

Radiator, manifolds, grill and all wiring removed from engine.

DSC00661.jpg

Seat rails for the Prelude seats mounted.

DSC00666.jpg

Seats in but have been pulled back out for the carpet swap.

DSC00668.jpg

These rims fit sweet, yea?

DSC00670.jpg

So, when the engine was ready to come out, we mocked up an engine hoist :lol:

DSC00671.jpg

New headlight peaks too :)

DSC00675.jpg

Started dismantling the grill ready for reconditioned.

DSC00680.jpg

Engine out :D

DSC00676.jpg

Back later with more.

A rare Triumph Update.

Finally had the rims fitted that I also got off Rich. SSR Longchamps. They are a bloody butch looking wheel. I love it!

DSC00784.jpg

DSC00780.jpg

Only other thing about the Triumph is the stereo...

Im keeping the car as-is, factory hedunit and speaker. But I have bought a 2x 75w RMS amplifier that will be mounted under a seat and a pair of 4" speakers also hidden somewhere. Unsure exactly where as of yet.

My MP3 player will be the source of the music which will plug directly into the amplifier. SHould hopefully work a treat.

DSC00690.jpg

DSC00691.jpg

Got both engines out. Will swap a few parts over and give the whole engine a clean and paint before dropping it back in.

Drilled the holes for the Spot lights and test mounted them. Spent a couple hours polishing the chrome parts on the car.

DSC00693.jpg

And this is my to-do list....

- Top and Bottom Radiator Hoses

- Clean and Polish Termostat housing

- Clean and paint Rocker cover and Engine/box

- Wire in spot lights for high beam

- Finish wiring alarm

- Purchase Wire, braided sleeve, heatshrink, spade terminals, battery terminals etc etc etc

- Re-trim Drivers door card and attach new clips

- Attach towbar

- New CV boot's

- Polish all Chrome in the form of Hubcaps, bumpers, trim, spotlights, wing mirror

- Attach wing mirror

- Purchase new Nut's, Bolt's, Screws, Washers before engine is put back in ($$$)

- Finish painting an re-assemble font grill

- Steam Clean and Cut and poliush engine bay

- Purchase New Commision Number and Chassis Tags ($33 EACH!)

- Purchase new respective stickers for engine (Austin - $12 Each)

- Mount Fire Extinguisher in boot

- Fix water leak around windscreen (Major problem)

- New fan belt

- Re-fit dash (With blanking washers)

- Fit BLMC Badge to dash board somewhere

- Clean and fit overflow bottle

- Get radiators checked out, best one serviced and then painted

- Swap engine support bars with donor cars (Nolathane bushes)

- Attach AA Badge

- Wire Ammetre light in

- Obtain twin carb manifold

- Mount sub and amp, install wiring

- Hide headunit under seat and re-wire

- Install second Aerial

- Install factory AM Headunit with speaker

- Fit manifold, carbs, air cleaner (May need to be re-routed), Get tuned and running sweet

- Fit extractors and get custom exhaust and tip made

- Paint Air cleaner and attach sticker

- Change of front brake pads

- Remount front number plate

- Drop engine back in

- Get cuctom chrome Chassis plate made "Battle Scar"

- Clean, Polish, Vaccuum, attach chassis plates.

Pleanty left to do.

I got one of the subframes out tonight :D

DSC00799.jpg

Managed to get the good hydrolastic fluid line out and now will atempt to take Battle Scar's subframe out.

Once I have got the second line repaired, ill chuck em both back in and then can continue with the engine.

More updates this weekend hopefully.

• 7 months later...

It's been a while, car is still in 'build mode' however!

As it is now, car is 99% finished and I just need to get the new fuel/air system sorted to get it started. Once started, ill complete the wiring including the bangin' stereo and get it warranted!

I really wanted to get it going for summer but i'm running out of time! I looked back at the Rego records and it's been off the road for almost a year :(

I have driven the other GT around a bit until the accelerator pedal SNAPPED! I must have a heavy foot. So pedal box is coming out at some stage luckily I have a spare.

Here is a pic at the last outing:

DSCF0645.jpg

Triumph is still sitting pretty in the corner. Snoozin may have found another gearbox for me, just awaiting confirmation :)

Oh, and I bought and then on-sold this.

DSC02768-1.jpg

Some progress pics of the Austin...

I think I have enough gauges... "I even know how hot your arsehole is!"

DSC02763.jpg

DSC00068.jpg

How it currently sits...

DSC00860.jpg

Engine in: DSC00843.jpg

Car count is currently 7.. Im trying to sell one of my Honda Accord but also bought a 96 Jaguar XJR and a 93 Accord for daily duties.

Will get a bit more detail written in here shortly.

Cheers for looking!

Before engine was installed, it was masked up and painted.

DSC00825.jpg

DSC00826.jpg

Sorry im going backwards (Just finding random pics everywhere)

More of the engine back in:

DSC00839.jpg

DSC00837.jpg

New seats and seatbelts:

DSC00852.jpg

DSC00854.jpg

Spotlights mounted - Genuine Lucas!

DSC00844.jpg

Recon'd radiator:

DSC00845.jpg

Overflow bottle, never used to have one...

DSC00848.jpg

• 8 months later...

Im back, have some more stuff (Cars) to add.

I originally sold my Accord Euro R, and bought a Jaguar XJR, Supercharged Six.

DSC02841.jpg

I then sold that after a few months and purchased a 1965 MG Midget MK2.

IMG_1786.jpg

I did a massive trip consisting of flying, train and Bus up to Hastings to pick this one up.

Drove it back down to CHCH. Thanks to Snoozin for putting me up for a night in Palmy.

So that's the current cars I'll be updating in this thread from now on.

1972 Austin 1300 GT

1974 Austin 1300 GT

1972 Triumph 2000 MK2

1965 MG Midget MK2

I also have a couple of other cars that I'll start another thread for. A couple of 'older' Honda's.

Ive got a fair bit of updating to do since my lst post but will get there with time. :-)

Thanks for looking.

Discussion here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=18818

The Triumph is getting a fair bit of use lately. I had Auto gearbox problems but I found another for $65, drove down to Ashburton to pick it up.

In between the really shit weather, I got the gearbox in over a couple of weekends and now runs HEAPS better. I suspect the old box had been shitting itself for a while. Car is just so much faster for some reason.

Excuse this pic, it's the only one I got from the whole swap :S

DSC00002-1.jpg

Also picked up a sunvisor to modify slightly and fit.

LGIM0001-2.jpg

Test fit.

LGIM0006.jpg

I always hated the steering wheel. So I picked up a 2500 to replace with.

LGIM0002-1.jpg

LGIM0003-1.jpg

Couple of other random pics.

LGIM0002.jpg

LGIM0001.jpg

Got some stereo stuff comeing shortly!