Sumo's Supercar - 1972 Cosmo Sport

rxsumo

Here's the latest addition to the Sumo fleet.
The ads say its a Supercar.
1972 Mazda Cosmo Sport L10B
CosmoCover.jpg

It looks a little worse for wear at the moment
untitled.jpg

The car was imported in NZ back in 2003, as a rebuilder.
The engine was removed, and the stripdown was started, but unfortunately the original importer of the car was killed in a road accident within 6 months of the car getting here, and the car has sat in dry storage since.
The body has some quite bad rust in the lower guards and the passenger side floor, and the motor is cactus.
However the car is complete, which is quite rare for Cosmo Sports.

The master plan is that the car will sit in the garage for a year or two until I've found a money tree to fund the project. The car will be retained as original as possible, the engine will be a mission as I need to find another early R100 or Cosmo Sport engine,with good housings.

I'll update with some better photos once the car is removed from its current storage

Discussion page

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/24490-rxsumos-heroic-cosmo/?hl=cosmo

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry no new photos as yet.

Spent the last month finding the bits that have been removed for the car.

The car has been sitting in its garage and both it and the collection of the removed bits have moved around the garage.

Everything has been accounted for (I think :) ), and most is now in moisture proof boxes.

I was concerned that some of the hard to find "trinket" items may have been lost over time, but I've found all the badges....the lights....and the hubcaps.....all good.

Had a good score a couple of weeks ago, I found an original L10B brochure, as well as a couple of Luce R130 ones, as well as picking up some more 10A engine bits. The brochure scan above is the 110S or L10A one and is fairly easy to find...I've got a couple.

When the original owner pulled the motor, they left the gear box in situ, so last weekend we got the box out in preparation for the move. Only catch was the driveshaft bolts were reluctant to come undone, so thats the next task to complete before the car moves.

While under the car I found the the drivers side is worse than the passenger side for floor rust and will require some serious reconstruction. Its was kinda funny that while that car has suffered from panel rust, all of the little screws and the exhaust nuts and bolts that needed removing to get the box out, basically came loose without any drama.....not bad for 36 years.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

The holy grail for a Cosmo Sport Owner with a stuffed engine, is to find some new rotor housings.

A few weeks back a pair surfaced in Belgium of all places....and now they reside in NZ :)

I was pretty glad to get them before they were snapped up by a Japanese enthusiast.

IMG00308-20111116-2129.jpg

IMG00309-20111116-2129.jpg

These are unique to the CosmoSport 10A and as you can see they have a roughcast exterior, unlike the R100/RX3 smooth finish scalloped exterior.

This will allow us to rebuild the original motor, although we will still probably run an RX3 10A, with stage 2 porting.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Parcel arrived from Japan on Tuesday  :-D

The bumper is mint except for the little dent you can see on the LHS - the underside of the one on the car has rust holes that would be difficult to repair and rechrome

The Tail-light surrounds are better than the ones on the car, and will require rechoming

SAM_4270_zps4a00dc6c.jpg

• Like 5