rookie's 1960 VW Beetle

Guest rookie

Guest rookie

I picked up this fella from a swapmeet about a year and a half ago.. I was looking for a sweet VW but not sure what and landed this unexpectedly one weekend.

The car was solid, but the look wasn't quite right.. the suspension set up was all wrong and there was a weird primer paint thing going on....

But generally it was good, and had a solid 1600 engine, so I snapped it up.

IMGP3653.jpg

IMGP3656.jpg

Guest rookie

so I started getting a few bits and bobs sorted... bought some pop out windows, new rego plates, and got the ride height set-up properly.

It was on it's way to getting to where I wanted.

DSC_02.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_004.jpg

DSC_0048.jpg

Guest rookie

next I wanted to sort the paint out. The red primer patches had to go, and I wanted to do something a bit different as well. I knew checkers would be involved, but I wasn't totally sure what to do with them. I considered a checkerboard on the roof, but that had been done before, so wisely I settled for the flash trim area on the side.

On top of that I asked the sign writer to do me some crazy pinstriping because I love the hot rod style, so he happily obliged....

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0056.jpg

DSC_0068.jpg

DSC_0046.jpg

Guest rookie

.... and as of last week I have the car running on new wheels. I've been wanting to get rid of the steels for a while, but never known what to replace them with so I got these over from Japan.

I had to get some smaller tyres up front to clear the guards.. so now running Continental 145 profile Smart ForTwo front tyres. :shock:

rodney_on_145s-1.jpg

rodney_on_135s-5.jpg