The Morange ~Kokomo's 1975 Austin 1300 (Landcrab)

kokomo

Discussion here: viewtopic.php?t=10373&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

About her:

This is my baby,

Ive had her only a couple of months now but im in love.

Its a 1975 Austin 1300, a.k.a Land Crab, Morris, BMC, etc.

profile2.jpg

Still in perfectly original condition, paint and everything.

Only things ive done so far are tiny,

*New plugs, distributor points, condenser

*Replaced the rearveiw and wing mirrors with bigger ones

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My birthday pressie FTW!

1 x new painted boot liner

1x new fabric recovered parcel tray

2x Sony xplod speakers (350w)

I reckon they look fucken mean, black/silver matches the chrome/grill/tyres/etc perfectly.

Now i just need to find a head unit somewhere.

sounds002.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So after an epic mission to Rotorua over the weekend i picked up a second Morris, just two years older, same color, same everything.

new004.jpg

Got no motor in it, and it was a mission to tow back in the rain without wipers but we did it. Called it the Mo Jay.

I now have a Mo Jay and a Morange.

new008.jpg

Today i have,

*switched the white door handles in the morange for the black ones out of Mo J.. (i like the contrast on the beige door panels and black doesnt get grubby so easily.

new010.jpg

*yanked out the passenger seat of Mo J expecting to scrub it clean, to replace ripped drivers seat in morange. Was so not happening so i still have a tear.

new006.jpg

*taken out the seat brackets, sanded, rust killed, and re-painted black, (fuck knows why. You cant see them anyway.)

*removed the dash out of Mo J all ready to swap over, but wont go further till after trackday, just in case i cant figure out how to hook all the electrics up sweet.

*switched the plastic carpet runners over so Morange has all the unbroken ones.

*Washed n cut n polished the Mo J bonnet ready to swap

*masked and finished repainting my ree-yums. Stealing tyres off the shitty Mo J rims and putting em on at some point.

BEFORE:

originalwheels.jpg

AFTER!!!!

new012.jpg

Was at the paint shop and found something weird. Silver but hammered finish paint. Bought a can just for the hell of it and now my rims have hammered edges and a matty b middle. I like it. Its a weird texture but looks so much better than a straight silver spray. I reckon that would have looked tacky. The grey and the black arent too different, its kind of a dark shiny gunmetal color.

Can fix it later if it doesnt look right but being different is FTW.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, the never ending saga of the rims, since i got another set on the mo jay complete with tyres as well i now have three options, all matty b, matty b and hammered, or 13" mags that came on it.

put the plain matty b ones on just so i didnt have to swap tyres etc. Looks alright, not very happy tho, at least itll stop rubbing.

needs more marmite tho, where marmite = contrast!

some silver rims and hubcaps and itll look 68 billion times better.

Also my darling boy lost my keys somewhere. Luckily i had a spare steering column and ignition (with a key!) in the Mo Jay, massive thanx to mike-e n mark for helping me swap em over..

photo update..

aaaaaa012.jpg

aaaaaa014.jpg

that massive pile of shit in the background is the bonfire we are burning when i get round to having my otp :D

BTW, you all suck. i wanted silver rims and you all convinced me to go plain matty b. now it looks fucken YUCK. But howeveri have yet another new plan for them. And it will look BANGIN'! Im sure of it.

• 1 month later...

Heady is in, speakers sound awesome. Did it myself too. Feeling good and thinking about opening my own audio-install place.

Vvega also kindly let me rip the two front speakers out of his camry and those shall be going in pods or boxes or summink when i get round to it. That + the amp from requiem and you have a very happy Koki.

Cheers boes.

Edit: Also last weekend lost my keys AGAIN. Drove to caimbridge and bought yet another steering column from a mean Austin/Morris wrecker haha. So its onto its 3rd in 8 months. Another $65 down. Hope i dont hafta do that too often. On the plus side, Mike-e is getting really fast at changing them tho..

• 1 year later...

Whoa... Well overdue for an update!! Well last xmas we swapped the engine into the Mo Jay shell. But Mo Jay is a gay name so its still the Morange. Had only a weekend to do it and with a shitload of dedication from Wayne and Richie we got it pretty much sweet. Only thing was that while i was driving it back to Aucks there were a few little things going wrong. Turns out i hadnt hooked the speedo back up, we were missing a few indicator bulbs and they wouldnt flash, plus the battery wasnt holding its charge + charge light was permanently on, even with the keys out.

So... in this condition it was off the road for almost a whole year!! Rego currently on hold till August 09. Was reluctant to replace the alternator for various reasons noone could be sure that that was actually the problem.

And then.. Yesterday Matt (Lan-Killa) headed over for a bit after work and we began to sift through the problems. Well he did, as i sat wanting to help but feeling entirely bloody useless.

Tried to jump start it and got nothing but a loud metallic click. After tinkering for a bit he took the starter motor out and connected that straight to the battery and presto it free'd itself up and began to spin. Chucked that back in. And the morry actually ran!! Kept coughing and spluttering a bit and what not tho but i was just stoked to smell it going. Headed down to onehunga repco to get oil additive.. and discovered/drove past the mitre 10 fire which was exciting..

Put the battery on charger over night.

Today we put the battery back in, and it would turn over and die. Was missing. Matt played with the carby and timing and got that sweet. Now sounds good. Got a bit wet push starting it in the rain and i almost killed him with my towing skills lol. But now if the battery has just a little charge itll start first time. Spent the rest of the evening tryna sort out the mysterious charge light. Thought something was just wired wrong at first, so ripped out the dash and started over again according to the manual still to no avail. After running every connection past BDA we decided to bite the bullet and take it to get load tested tomorrow.

Also found a mysterious purple wire which didnt go anywhere..but its the horn and the connection on the indicator stalk is broken. New one coming up from welly in the next couple of days, cheers Chris!

So things to do next.. 2x fuses 2x bulb 1x alternator check, 1x indicator stalk, 1x choke cable.

and then all going to plan.. 1x warrant. :)

Massive thanks to Matt, hes spent ages putting up with my dumbass questions and crappy british electrics. Thoroughly a GC.

I is a very happy Koki.

• 6 months later...