Mk1Mad's 1978 Mini LE Clubman

Ok. So Trademe got the better of me and I picked up a bargin off it. Ill just put up pictures for now. Hopefully head up and pick it up in the next couple of weeks.

It hasn't got too much rust and was running. Rego is on hold. Mags and tyres are included. Plans are. 1) Get it, 2) Get it on the road. We will see what happens after that...

frontxw3.th.jpg

backpc3.th.jpg

bootmq2.th.jpg

enginebo4.th.jpg

interioryz6.th.jpg

Discussion Thread: //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/21844-mk1mads-1978-mini-le-clubman/?hl=clubman

OK. Got on to the tidy up today. Cleaned up my mags, was stoaked cus they are original Dunlop 10x5's with pretty good bridgestones on them. Car itself is average. Got quite a bit of rust, with a bit in strange places but nothing a welder and a bit of bog wont fix. Not liking the colour but that can wait.

Anyway Pics

dsc01944wf0.th.jpg

dsc01946wj9.th.jpg

Emptied the tank of old gas and refilled with new. Put a fuel filter in. Gotta clean out the carb to get it running perfect. Rust is the next job.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok. Low'n'Slow and I have been working on the bombs weve got. Got mine going and driving, engine and gearbox seam fine, brakes still work good. Clutch is leaking. Gotta change all of the brake fluid sometime. I keep finding rust. So there is only one way to go, chop it out...

List of rust is:

Firewall (Fixed)

RH Doorstep (Fixed)

RH Sill

LH Inner Sill (Fixed)

LH Sill

LH Floor

Working with gasless wire so alot more grinding and welding...

Anyway, pics...

Car

dsc02006fe2.th.jpg

Rust in LH sills, have cut it out, time for new metal.

dsc02001wj1.th.jpg

RH Sill

dsc02008hz4.th.jpg

LH Inner Sill

dsc02011vt7.th.jpg

Crappy Interior

dsc02004vg1.th.jpg

Got more done today. Gotta strike while the suns out as I aint got a shed to do it in. Cut out some of the LH Sill and welded in a new patch. Just a few little holes to weld over and then a nice coat of underseal to rough it all up.

Also found another hole in the firewall, its on a flat bit tho so shouldnt be too hard to sort.

Parked down the driveway during the night. Doing the work on the side of the road.

dsc02020wi3.th.jpg

Sill primed and ready for underseal. (New bit was infront of the jacking point.

dsc02017tj7.th.jpg

This is how I want to do my wheels when i've got the time. (After the warrent).

25897702fullhq0.th.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Exams are over. Into holidays but have alot to do so will hopefully get a bit done inbetween. Still welding up rusty bits... Have let in new metal on the LH inner sill and outer sill. The outer is an average job as I plan to underseal to conceal. Still got little holes and a few blow-throughs to fill in.

Sill with bits cut out.

dsc02001wj1.th.jpg

Inner finished.

dsc02011vt7.th.jpg

Outer on its way.

dsc02024la0.th.jpg

Am working outside so can only do stuff with nice weather. Probably still a few more days of rust hole welding to go till its all solid. Then need to refit windscreens, sort mechanicals, Clean out inside and paint a bit, check over for a warrent.... Its a long road ahead....

Like how the mags came up thought idd put up a comparison.

dsc02048ke0.jpg

Also, big ups go out to chris for telling me, "oi, there are a couple of minis out at pick-apart, one with widen steels". Score for $18 each including two good dunlop SP aquajets. Got three in total, one with a bad dent, nothing a hammer wont fix tho.

dsc02032dr8.jpg

Put them in place of my mags for now.

dsc02038lr9.jpg

Thinking of going for a black and white theme, with a bit of chrome. Maybe black roof, upper half and wheels and white middle. Or the other way round. Will see...

• 2 months later...

So. Me = going to America in November for 5 months

Having the mini stored at LOW'n'SLOW's house wasen't the best for his parents.. so it was sell or wreak. Had it on TM for a while.. no takers.. listed engine and subframe on TM, sold within a day. So im wreaking...

Got assignments comin up so had to do it quick. Went out there at 11.30am on Sunday morning, left for home at 5pm that night - 1 man and some spanners (insert grinder). Body has gone to pick'a'part, engine is gone.. got the mags which I might keep, lots of other bits to sell. Anyway, pics:

At 11.30am on Sunday

dsc02187smalljo3.jpg

At 5.00pm on Sunday

dsc02190smallerhs3.jpg

dsc02191smallermt0.jpg