Jay GTi's Vauxhall Chevette hatch

Jay GTi

So here's the Shovit in it's natural state, prior to me having my evil way with the little bastard. Repaint first, was going to do a colour change but I quite like the green now, although the stripe will probably go...

Then engine, suspension and interior in that order. Diff has to go too, found out why it's noisy, leaked half it's oil contents on my drive when I got it home. Needs to be bigger for what I have planned, so not a problem.

DSC00344.jpg

DSC00343.jpg

DSC00346.jpg

Here's some pics of the oh so gorgeous interior... that's going quick sharpish! Not decided to what yet, possibly Cobra Classic seats and black vinyl everywhere else. It's not a real Chevette if it doesn't burn the back of your legs in the summer when you first jump in :lol:

DSC00348.jpg

DSC00349.jpg

DSC00350.jpg

Off to Nelson for a few days tomorrow, will hatch out some evil plans and get it booked in for the paintwork next week, once I've stripped out the minging interior.

• 1 month later...

Finally some progress, got the wheels I wanted for the beastie. 13x7 Superlites... going to look awesome with some 175/50/13s stretched on.

Also took the car around to PK Paint and Panel to get an idea of the cost for a respray. Have to ring up and talk to the boss on Monday to get a price, but the workshop emptied to come and have a look at the old chevette.... they all liked it!

DSC00392.jpg

• 10 months later...

Hmmm, project taking a little longer than planned....

But back working on it when I have the time. Got the Gem diff, swapped the mounts over from the Chevette diff (well I didn't, Diffs'r'us did... for $500!!!). Painted it in black Por15 and started putting new brake lines on it. Surprisingly difficult job, I've fucked up 2 already and had to have them remade.

DSC00836.jpg

Also got some shortened Spax shocks, suitable for 50-80mm of lowerage. Got a mate in the UK to sort them out for me, cost about $700 all up including freight (which took 3 days!!), so not too bad.

DSC00839.jpg

Also started painting the interior as it's generally tidy but just a shit colour. Worked well so far, apart from one can of interior paint being grey, despite it clearly stating it's supposed to be black.

DSC00837.jpg

Still not got tyres on the Superlites, wanted to replace a couple of boards on the deck out the front of my house but discovered the whole thing is pretty much rotten so need to replace that instead. Wife seems to think sorting the deck out is more important than tyres, so budget has again been re-appropriated...

Also got spare Chevette head being crack tested and will most likely have a quick skim and valve guides done if it's all good. Will have to stick with the 1256cc of raw power for a while yet, as due to other budget re-appropriating, someone seems to have spent all the engine swap cash.

Also, some cats, yesterday...

DSC00816.jpg