Muzzies 1961 Mk2 Ford Zephyr

Muzzie

Discussion //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/20603-muzzies-1961-mk2-ford-zephyr/?hl=zephyr

I think I might be bordering on obsession here now lol. Yet another car joins the stables. Named Maxine after my mother who sadly passed away Dec 10.

Runs a 3 on the tree box with no synchro on first or reverse, hydraulic clutch thats fucking heavy connected to a meaty Straight 6 with a reasonably straight through exhaust. Sounds grunty. Even if it aint lol. Has millions of receipts for vast amounts of mechanical work done to it over the past decades. And it even has the original dealer warranty papers. Apparently, some guy in Papatoetoe bought it new.

4 wheel drums. Its the flash version with the heater and fan and variable wipers lol. Done a genuine 43,000miles. Picked it up today with a brand new WOF & 12 months reg courtesy of old owner.

Just some pics of how it was when I bought it. Suggestions? It's 100% original currently so would like to keep it looking that sorta way.

Dashboard.jpg

FrontSide.jpg

Rear.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after towing my busted trailer to Pinto Trailers on Sat to get it fixed when some hoe ran into it, and breaking down on the Harbour Bridge (stupid useless fuel guage), the starter decided it didn't need to have a complete armature anymore.

Cue new starter - thanks Appco.

starters.jpg

And new starter installed. You can also see the button in the main power wire to the starter. Enables you to activate the starter from under the bonnet for timing etc adjustments. Not starting :(

DSCF2029.jpg

And just cause I'm nice and haven't put pics up yet. Heres the mighty powerplant. Well, its probably not all that mighty, but its got that much torque - it pulls alot like a little school boy.

DSCF2028.jpg

And just for interests sake. Heres the exhaust manifold. The most horrible restrictive manifold on the face of the planet. A piece of pipe with holes for the exhaust ports. Speaking from experience, my old man said that extractors and a decent exhaust free up a ton of power in these, so thats a high priority. Intake manifold aint brilliant either, as I hear it creates hot spots in cylinders 5+6 due to leaning out, so will have to investigate that.

DSCF2030.jpg

However, every modification made to this car will be reversible. For example, I'll be keeping the original exhaust manifold so it can be returned to stock without problems.

• 3 weeks later...

Another update.

Went out and got some bits for my birthday, including some autosol and rust converter.

Attacked the rust on the firewall where the paints gone due to leaky clutch cylinder (some years ago). You can see where the rust has been turned black, apparently the surface can be left like that for 12 months.

rustonfirewall.jpg

And some scrubbing with the autosol on the dash chrome (as well as everywhere else but theres more pics to come shortly with a couple other things to show as well). Bought the chrome up mint. Tip: An old toothbrush can be invalueable here for little nooks and crannies!

polisheddashandciggielighter.jpg

Can also see the ciggie lighter I snuck into the factory hole down bottom left. This particular car didn't have one from factory, but they were a factory option. Feel free to flame my nasty camo mats - they were a 2005 xmas present from my Aunt and they've just been sitting in the Simca doing nothing. Since someones put new carpet in the Zephyr, I may as well try and keep it looking reasonable.

More updates to come, within the next couple of days.

Radio for the world!!

Contemplated pulling out the radio for a while, see if I can get it going. Well, as luck would have it I pulled it out, discovered it was still wired for positive earth.

*cue sad face*

Not looking good for it working then since car been converted to Negative earth. Prodded around a bit and got a hint of a click from the audio stage. OOOOOOOOO!

But wait! Switch has blown and saved the radio, so jimmy rigged a little click switch on wires and mounted it under the dash. Lubricated all the dial cords and pulleys, and got the light bulb working too.

Also removed the aerial, freed up the 4 sections and lubricated them, couple of kinks so it won't fully de-extend, but fully extended it's a massive 1.8metres high :shock: Can't ask for better reception than that!

But anyways, got me an original working VALVE car radio :D

And pics....... (for those of you who don't know what valves are, they are the glass tubes in the picture, they were around before transistors - I collect valve radios (home ones) with my dad so had a fair amount of prior knowledge to get Zephs radio going)

Radiobeingtested.jpg

Crocodile clips and some poking and prodding gave promising results!

radiovalvesbottom.jpg

Sockets where the valves plug into. Alot more wiring and generally more messy than todays modern transistors as you can see.

Radiovalves.jpg

The important bit, the valves! Those ones aint terribly impressive, they're little ones and the heaters use low voltage. Can get some much bigger ones that get very hot and can get some interesting electrical shorts inside for a nice show.

• Like 1

Another update. Just been tinkering away with bits and pieces. Got a cheap cd player hiding away in the dash shelf with a couple of speakers in the rear tray, just for some light cruising music. Aint got pics of this, but hey, it's a cd player and speakers - seen one seen them all lol.

However, in other news :)

Dug these old things out of the shed. Bought them ages ago - like 5 years ago. Raided them off a Morris Marina, had them on 6 cars since. They fitted the period look of the Zeph, and well - to be blunt the headlights suck - old technology does have it flaws :( I paid $5 for them when i got them. Saw an identical set in Supercheap - $259 :shock::shock::shock:

DSCF2093.jpg

Thought they could do with some TLC before they were fitted to the car, so pulled them right apart, polished up the chrome rims, sanded down the back plates, masked them up and gave them a nice coat of gloss black. Put all back together and hey presto........

DSCF2095.jpg

Then came the problem of mounting them. Got the drivers side measured up mint and made the hole for the light to bolt too. Sweet, looks good. Measured up the other side - SHIT! Damn bumper or brackets or both are bent, so theres 8 inches between indicator and over rider one side, and 10 inches between the two on the other. Blast! Oh well - made a hole in the middle, so when I straighten the bumper brackets, I only have to enlarge both holes half and inch in opposing directions to even it out. Still pissed me off. But they're on and look good which is great. All thats left is to wire them up, but still keep the wires hidden in the engine bay. Nothing like a challenge :)

duskspotties2.jpg

And - FENDER MIRRORS. Rocking! :lol:

Generic chrome fender mirrors.

Frontmirrors.jpg

FrontSideMirrors.jpg

Thats all for now. I think extractors will probably be the next purchase :) That exhaust strangles the motor just a little too much!

• 1 month later...

Well, some clown clubbed the back guard with a truck, so went to the Puke swapmeet, found a replacement tail light, still gotta get panelbeater to work some magic. And insurance company fun :)

Also picked up a tacho for a buck, old style smaller black one, wired that up and works great. Pics to come.

Hopefully should be some update pics tomorrow of the new bling too :D

• 3 months later...

Now, the audio.......

Basic update - if you got any questions then ask lol.

Spot my amp wiring :D, in fact, spot the amp lol.

DSCF2656.jpg

Source Unit - freebie (it's really not worth stealing) - basic fusion cd tuner thanks to the guys at Sound Q in Henderson, and 2Deaf (stephen). Even has full preouts & aux in!! (3.5mm stereo lead hidden up behind dash and pops out something handy to plug in WHY) :shock::shock: Cd player don't work though :( Oh well. Was gonna go in the glovebox - but glovebox not deep enough. Eventually the car will need a full rebuild and then I'll do something custom hidden out of the way.

DSCF2655.jpg

DSCF2654.jpg

And then basic box speakers that came off the rear parcel tray of my Familia gymkhana car :lol: Fit nicely under the seat.

And theres 6.5s in the back tray. On spacers so tray remains intact.

Thats pretty much it - just something basic til car costs too much in terms of WOFs etc and then I'll pull it off the road and redo it :)

Also put an old 3 inch tacho in that I picked up from the Puke swapmeet a while ago for a buck :D

• 1 month later...

Been a little quiet, but working away with bits and bobs.

Genuine 40 something year old Lucas Tri Star (NOS) headlight covers

LucasTri-Star.jpg

Genuine 40 something year old Enfo Breezies (NOS)

EnfoBreezie.jpg

And motor wise - I thought it was struggling to breathe.

Out with the Hockey stick........

HockeyStickDBlocks.jpg

In with the tuned headers care of Coby

Extractors3.jpg

After a bit of use (apparently coby dont use heatproof paint.....!!!!)

Extractors2.jpg

And whilst at Als Mufflers (fully recommend these guys, awesome job), the Zephyr shared the floor with an Alfa Romeo - some SA turbo thing, limited production run. Looks fucking mean, and sounds godlike.

AlfaAtMufflerShop2.jpg

Thats all for now :)

• 2 months later...

Car show coming up in couple weeks so putting in some effort to tidy car up a bit.

Old 2 blade fan

OldFan.jpg

New 4 blade fan, freshly painted. These are impossible to get in NZ as they were an accessory for much hotter countries, same with the guards around the sump which my Z doesn't, but the green one does.

NewFan.jpg

Sunvisor after freshly applied 20 odd coats of gloss white paint. This visor was a real basket case when I got it - massive rust holes and looking really worse for wear. Cut the rust out and welded in new strips, some filler and then lots of primer and sanding.

SunvisorNewFan.jpg

And fitted.

Visor.jpg

Next on the agenda for sprucing up will be side cover, rocker cover and intake oil bath. Sandblaster at work FTW.

• 1 month later...

Wells, a heap has happened in the past couple months.

Another two Zephyrs add to the collection. One bought is partially restored and partially put back together by previous owner, have intentions of fix and possibly keep. Has an overdrive which I'm stealing for my red one.

And the other was a freebie from someone who tracked down our car club. This basket case has been sitting by the ocean for 15 years, and as you can see, is falling apart. A half assed wash made it look heaps better. Don't have pics of it washed though. This is it when I got it home, on my awesome trailer.

front3quartertrailer.jpg

backendtrailer.jpg

Spent today trying to get the motor running - previously the best I could manage was it turning over slowly. Replaced starter, and replaced leaky carb with a spare and it fired up with some tinkering. Running on 4 cylinders though :( Pulled the rocker cover off and was greeted with two stuck valves and this.....

bentpushrods.jpg

Bugger - valves - 1, pushrods - 0. Managed to free up one of the valves but the other is stuck fast, so will require head removal to free it up. So it runs on 5 now. Proof of concept though, motor runs and runs well considering, so I have a spare now with some work :D

Also found an old 12ft side mount aerial for it, and a 3.5:1 complete diff which is lower ratio than current one. Sweeeeeeet

• 3 months later...

Well, update. Wreck car is now in pieces. Motor came out today, along with gearbox and several other bits and pieces.

Bought a new stereo for my red car, along with a venetian blind and some chrome splash guards. Blind was cheap - another Zephyr owner I know paid $1500 for his one!!

Pics of them installed tomorrow hopefully. But TM pix......

63958931_full.jpg

64012495_full.jpg