Igntion timing factory or other

Guest orange_mini

Guest orange_mini

What sort of advance do people run on their rides?

I think the factory setting for my b1600 is around 3 degrees, guy at tech said his KE70 is running 15 degrees.

Cranked the advance as far forward as it would go on the b1600 and top speed dropped to 120km/h (on private road of course), wound it back a bit and it went 145km/h on about 5-6 degrees.

Any serious thoughts or comments?

Guest orange_mini

Yeah I was thinking that.

Then theres the reason they might have the timing so retarded is for the average driver who doesnt change gear at the time causing it to pink if it was more advanced, running it on the cheapest gas they can find etc.

Standard it will be...

Basically, the timing would depend on the mods made to the engine, and the fuel the engine was designed with.

With the MX5 for example, I know a horsepower increase is to take the timing to 14 degrees advance (stock is 10 degrees), and I think this nets maximum horsepower on a stock motor. (on 91 octane fuel)

You can push the timing to 16 or 18 degrees, the horsepower drops off, BUT the torque increases...however you need to run a minimum of 94 octane fuel.

So depending on whether you want Torque or Horsepower depends on where you would set the timing.

On the Torque curve is pretty flat, so I normally go for HP at the top end.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest orange_mini

yeah that sounds quite right, when i advanced it quite far it pulled really hard till 120 then stopped.

retarded the timing a bit, pulls a bit weaker but goes 150 now in 4th with 4.8 diff