SUMO's RX3 Coupe

rxsumo

Here our '3 Coupe.

We have done a ground up on the car, and we were lucky that the base car had its original numbers matching 10A and 4 speed.

Its done ok for itself on the show scene, highlight being Best RX3 at the '04 Nationals. Not bad for a stocker...eh

Future work.....

Have the exhaust painted,

replace the oil cooler hoses with the NOS ones I have in the store

Get around to fitting the 8 Track Player (then I might get a FM Radio :lol: )

Tidyup the front crossmember and paint the sump

Get the rear tail panel sorted, replace the missing number plate bracket.

522900_1_full.jpg

522900_9_full.jpg

522900_14_full.jpg

Okay...heres some more pikkies

These are really old ones from just before coming home from the restoration shop

The tail-lights

MVC-015F.jpg

MVC-021F.jpg

The front before the bumper went on (and the grille got repainted into its correct colours)

MVC-014F.jpg

Heres some early bragging pikkies (although the underside hadnt been cleaned before the photos)

midunder.jpg

underrear.jpg

boot.jpg

And proof that it does come out of the shed occassionally, at the annual Lake Ferry day Dec 2004

2004_1212Image0003.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Its been a while since we have done anything but drive and do routine service on the '3

However we have just found a source for under bonnet decals, so the boonet now looks like it should.

Bonnet

CIMG0825.jpg

CIMG0824.jpg

CIMG0823.jpg

Even had the original OK quality control stickers

CIMG0827.jpg

And a "dealer" sticker....

CIMG0828.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Well after 15 years or so of ownership , I've decided to trade the RX3 in, but all is not lost, there still is a RX3 in the garage.

The new car is a 1972 RX3 Coupe, that has been around the MREC for many years, and has a heap of different motor and box combos from a 13B J-Port to a 13B Turbo, and now a 10a PP.

22091070057_medium.jpg

The car has a heap of Mazda factory parts, including a 4 speed close ratio box, 4.9 LSD, factory fast steeering box, and all the fibreglass bits to build a Group 2 lookalike, with both types of front and rear spoilers

When I was in Tokyo, I managed to score a set of the correct fender flares for the early body shell.

The intention is to build it into a replica of the 1970's Mazda Japanese racers like this

22091070026_medium.jpg

At the moment, I've just finished putting all the race driveline bits back in the car (the previous owner has started to turn the car back into something more road oriented), the next exercise will be to sort out the centre console which was missing when I got the car, and the centre dash wiring.

Hopefully it will be ready for its first outing at round 1 on the Intermarque series.

Once I find the money tree again, I want to get some moulds taken off the new fender flares, and get them installed on the car.....guard cutting time...especially on the rear, then to import some 9 or 10 inch wide Watanabes