RT's 75Capri V8

RT

still mucking around with this. I've fitted some black batman seats to it, much better look and they are very lightweight for factory seats. will get pic.

I changed some fuel line and it's been leaking where it connects to the sender, can't seem to stop it seeping. Firstly I'd tightened it too much and cut into it. So I fixed that, still leaks, fitted some different clamps, still leaks, figured that the 8mm hose was too large for the smaller sender pipe so I fitted some 6.8mm line and it still leaks...

under the car the hose slipped off and I got petrol poured into my eyes. I stumbled out from under the car and with eyes burning like mad I made my way inside 'aaagh my fucking eyes' my gf was like 'why is there blood coming down your face?

I saw blood dropping into the sink and thought wtf? by eyes are burning and they're pissing out with blood.

turns out the blood was actually from a deep little cut in my little finger.. only looked like it was coming from my eyes cos I had my hand holding my eye!

funny story eh?

anyway. Car is almost ready to go on dyno tune. Just need to fit bonnet (cut hole for scoop) and get the pulley rattled onto the alternator to stop it from slipping.

• 4 weeks later...

Bonnet on with hole cut, remembering that I already had some holes here it

actually worked out pretty well

bonnethk3.jpg

bonnet2tk5.jpg

Tried to get a snapshot of the throttlebodies spraying fuel as it was running

but my camera wasn't really up to the task.

throttlebod2gw1.jpg

throttlebodou4.jpg

New Batman front seats

interiorjq6.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Major work today, took it down to DCHmotorsport for a day of tuning. Solved some of the major hangups I've had until now. Firsly.. the firing order was wrong. Sounds stupid but it's a common mistake with teh V8's, esp Ford and Holden ones cos they keep changing them. I figured it was the later firing order since it was a later model engine, but no.. it's the early firing order. So that made a big difference. Then there were a few other issues, incorrect temp sensor for the link made the computer think it was cold all the time and kept putting fuel in when we didn't want it. We also had the wrong output on the Link module for the dizy, and the TPS wasn't wiring up properly but that didn't matter while were stayed on MAP.

After lots of backfires and me blowing out fires that kept lighting up out of the intake we got it purring along. Then it blew a rad hose off and put water everywhere cos the fans fuse and gone.

Finally a major fang for a road tune out to TaiTapu.. first time I'd driven the car for exactly 20 months! Was good. Real good. Just a stab of the throttle pulls you into the seat and sends you down the road like a cork out of a bottle. I really enjoy the power delivery of a large engine and think it suits me and the car much more than the 2L turbo did. Awesome exhaust note and sound and sight of the bug catcher rumble away in front of you is nothing short of orgasmic. She doesn't feel too heavy in the front either.. a wee bit but nothing outrageous. Drinks fuel like a demon though. I put 30L in before I took it to DCH and still had to take the DCH van down to the gas station to get another 20L.. now I'm almost empty again!! lol it was hard to put it back in the garage after taking it home but.. can't afford any tickets atm.

Stay tuned while I get it legal and finish running it in before it gets a dyno power tuneup. I forgot to take my camera with me today but here is a photo of it when I got home to prove it came out of the garage.

87567766xx6.jpg

RT

• 1 month later...

so update time.

Car's running very well. I'm extremely pleased with it so far. Pulls very hard and just fry's the tyres effortlessly. It even frys them again when it hits 2nd. I can see I'm gonna have problems with tread falling off my tyres.. with the 900cfm throttlebod you have to be very lightfooted when cruising around, even the slightest pressure on the acclerator is enough to drive around normally. With 900cfm it has the capacity to suck in a lot of air and a lot of fuel.

Took it for a cert today, need to get some gussets welded into my engine mounts.. which I think is odd as the're made out of a curved thick piece of steel with extra support plates welded on so they're twice as thick.. he said that it was all relying on that weld.. which is isn't because it's a curved steel plate, the weld is just an extra. But nevermind.. not biggie. And just need to get speedo recalibrated and a inhibitor switch connected up on the auto so it can't start in gear (which could be a good idea)

then I'm done!

• 10 months later...

Henry once said 'you can have it in any colour as long as it's black.'

pretty much agree in this case anyway, there is only one colour for a capri with a V8 in it in my opinion, and that's bogan jet black. So it had to be done.

Just back from teh paint shop.

capri1.jpg

capri2.jpg

capri3.jpg

capri4.jpg

capri6.jpg

prolly the last time it will stay this clean as well lol

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

hmm how about an update..

So I removed the engine / box to change the C4 auto to a T5 manual. Got a world class T5 box with hurst short shifter on it. Also bought a new flywheel and clutch setup. New custom billet Kennelly Cam http://www.kcams.co.nz

goodsj.jpg

Pulled engine out.

41690631015733859671463.jpg

Removed camshaft for a new . Turns out I had a cracked rocker so send a pic to Scorpion Performance in the US and they sent me a new set for free.

crackfault1.jpg

Last night we setup the pre-load on the new roller rockers:

newrockers2.jpg

Then we setup the flywheel and clutch onto the engine.. realized we forgot the sandwich plate.. so had to take it off and do it again.. ran out of loc-tite and had to mission to nismos to get some more. Usual backyard garage story.

Used a socket and a extension as a clutch alignment tool. Worked a treat.

clutchon2.jpg

ready to go

enginebox.jpg

• 1 year later...

Shit.. a year and no update. sorry boes.

what have I done.. let me see

not long after box swap I broke the speedo cog off the gearbox.. fished around for an hour with a flexi magnet to get the clip out of the hole cos I couldn't be bothered taking engine and box out to fix a speedo cog when the speedo was way out anyway. Ordered a GPS speedo and rev counter from speedhut.com and boogied it up into the original gauge cluster. The GPS speedo is a thing of beauty, keeps perfect speed and you can change gears as much as you want. Also does 1/4 mile times, 0-100 times, trip meter, top speed recording, blah blah, you can even input your existing mileage into it. The rev counter is equally awesome with a 3 stage shift light. 

IMG_1507.jpg

• Like 1

Today was dyno day to see what difference the kennelly cam and the T5 made, last time it was 245hp@rears and this time it pumped 310hp @ rears still on nasty 91 pump gas.. (actually I drained my motorbike gas before I left so it wasn't even fresh 91 :doubt:L).

I was going to be happy with anything over 280@wheels so 310 is a pleasing figure. The cam made such a big difference and I would highly recommend for ANYONE wanting a camshaft to call PK from Kennelly Cams , don't just buy something off the shelf. He really knows what he is doing. http://www.kennellycams.co.nz

dyno.jpg

• Like 5