Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'monterey'.
OK, so since I am actually doing something with this right now I guess I should get a project thread going. Discussion: //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/43506-nominals-1964-mercury/ We've had this car since 2003. At the time I was working in Indianapolis for a few months, and looking for another car to bring home (at the time I also had a '69 Lincoln in NZ). I did a lot of looking online, but only inspected a couple of cars. The first was a "rust free" late 60's Galaxie, which was a bit too rusty. The second was this one. Something about the colour and chrome combination was very attractive. As bought, it had been on fire, with the air cleaner burnt up, and a large burn mark in the centre of the bonnet. The PO told me it had backfired through the carb, setting fire to the filter. He had got it running again with a cleaned up (or replacement?) carb. It would only drive in 1st and 2nd gears though. After a quick test drive we decided it was too cool to pass on so bought it. We were still in Indianapolis for a couple of months more so brought it back to the apartment complex and parked it in one of the garages. Like most US accommodation there were many rules in place, including some banning working on cars on-site (seriously). Managed to get the gearbox shifting by fixing the vacuum line routing. Also took the hood off to get it repainted. Otherwise I just used it locally and to/from work when the weather was nice. Outside office with stepdaughter (who now has a 2yo child sheesh) and missus. Engine as bought. 390ci Ford FE which is stock AFAIK. 2 barrel carb for economy (ha ha). When we were due to come home the car went on an open transporter to LA, then into a container via Steve Curle. It arrived in NZ a few weeks later and after coughing up the $$$ to officialdom came home. It had survived the trip fairly well, only getting dirty. The gas tank was hanging out (I suppose they drained it at some stage) and one tank strap had gone awol. While the tank was out I repaired some rust in the body mount in the trunk. Some genius has filled it with epoxy. After fixing that, fitting a high-level stop light, and swapping the low beam lights for some that dipped to the left it passed the VTNZ check to be road legal.