W1NG3D's 1965 Morris Mini Mk1

W1NG3D

I've nearly managed to get the engine in tonight - was a bit nerve-racking trying not to scratch up the paint in the engine bay, since the back of the gearbox sticks out a fair bit! Hence the engine being at an odd angle at the moment, it was necessary for clearance in the tiny engine bay.

0fI6Vam.jpg

Now annoyingly, despite being so close to having the engine in, I've hit a rather annoying problem. Since this is an earlier Mini, it has the "crucifix" style drive shaft joints, which are joined by means of a rubber coupling. My issue is that it's damned near impossible to get that rubber coupling to sit inside the drive output on the gearbox, as it's supposed to.

0XQ6Y1Y.jpg

I managed to just about get the driver's side one in place, but the one in the picture above is much more of a hassle, as the driveshaft is shorter and there's less space to move things around. I've tried raising the engine, lowering the engine, moving it back and forth, adjusting its angle etc etc but nothing seems to help. So after about an hour of swearing underneath the car, I think it's time for a tea break and some head-scratching to find a solution.

• Like 1

Been driving this around for over a week now and have run into a few small issues, which I've just managed to sort out :)

First of all, I was driving back from Henderson, after having a new exhaust system fitted at Minibitz (great guys by the way). As I was climbing a big hill on Waitakere Road, I heard the most horrible grinding noise so I immediately pulled over to see what was going on... I think it's easy to spot the issue in this picture:

t47vbgV.jpg

I always carry a bungee cord or two in the car, because normally I have a roof rack fitted and they're handy for securing all sorts of junk onto the roof :P

This time it came in very handy, as did the over-riders and corner bars on the bumper.

5izataR.jpg

Apart from that, the drive home made me very happy because the car now sounds a lot better, not too loud but the exhaust has a lovely rasp. It also made a noticeable difference to the performance, the engine felt much less restricted at higher revs than before. However, after driving it a couple more days I noticed the temperature creeping up quite high, especially while idling in traffic. It was still drivable and wasn't getting dangerously hot, but still it was too hot for my liking, so my plan was to do some investigative work with the cooling system.

Just a couple of nights ago though, I was on my way home from Albany in the horrible rain and the mini started running like an absolute dog. Misfiring, backfiring, and barely able to get anywhere under its own power. I just about managed to get it parked up at a petrol station, after a scary encounter with a big intersection where I very nearly ended up stalling in the middle of the road!

After opening up the bonnet and having a quick look around, the first thing I noticed was that the damper had somehow unscrewed itself from the dashpot - oops! That was quickly remedied and when I started the engine up again, it ran a bit better, but still very very rough. That led me to the distributor, where I noticed the clamp which stops it rotating had come a bit loose, so I figured the distributor might've rotated away from where it should be and severely retarded the timing. Unfortunately my crappy adjustable spanner couldn't tighten the clamp back up, and since it was 1am at this point, the AA wouldn't send anyone out with tools, but were willing to tow the mini back to my house so I had no choice but to wait until about 2.30 in the morning for the truck to arrive. While I was waiting I kept fiddling with the distributor to try and get it adjusted to roughly where it should be, but for some reason the engine was refusing to run properly.

fuLUZJI.jpg

I thought water might have gotten into the distributor cap seeing as it was raining so hard, and people tell me that's a very common problem with minis, but after some inspection it was clearly very dry. So I was a bit puzzled, and realised something else must be going wrong, but wasn't sure what until the next day. I decided to try swapping the distributor for the one off the old engine; this instantly fixed the problem, and not only does the engine now run much smoother, the temperature problem has disappeared too! So it would seem the distributor that was originally on this 1293 engine has been faulty all along, and just decided to crap out on me in the early hours of the morning, during horrible weather. I guess that sort of thing should be expected with a 50 year old British car :tongue:

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Today I went into full-on Mr Bean mode :-)

qDRHEic.jpg

Drove like this all the way from Albany to Westgate, she was mint. :-D Bungee cords are bloody handy.

Also went out into the paddock and took some photos the other day, turned out quite nice with the sun setting behind some trees and whatnot!

I6gIPoy.jpg

0C5mRw1.jpg

2DXZRto.jpg

1OHcGsY.jpg

Now my new years' resolution is to try and sort out the interior of the car, as it's currently a combination of black Mk1 trim (not original for the car) and some 1980's mini seats, in combination with some pretty average bluey-black carpet which looks a bit pants. New interior bits will probably just mean a lot of money though, so it might have to wait a while!

• Like 4

• 2 months later...