Jay GTI's 91 Hilux of 1UZness

Jay GTi

Not had anything oldschool of note since I went back to the UK and had to pass on the Chevette to a mates son (awesome first car!), but I do still have something of interest parked at home.

I did have an old B2000 that I was doing up, but that got borrowed from where I parked it for work and the kind gentlemen who borrowed it never gave it back. So rather than start again I bought someone else's project they'd finished.

He'd spent some coin on it, it was build by the company that built his stock car and as it was his tow vehicle, it was made bullet proof where he could. Fully rebuilt W58, 'drift-spec' diff tightened and fettled by Diff's R Us, heavy duty suspension etc.

Only problem was they obviously knew their mechanical stuff, but the wiring job wasn't great. Started cutting out randomly, so took it around to Hope Hickman in town for a once over and they agreed, spot on mechanically, but some dumb mistakes with the wiring. That sorted, she was good to go. Highly recommend HH, they know their stuff and are very reasonable too.

Currently having issues with the clutch hydraulics too, did the master cylinder before Xmas, but it didn't last and I knew it was time to do the slave cylinder. 10 minute job on an average car, but the slave cylinder is tucked behind the exhaust manifold so won't come off, can't get to the bolts. Tried taking the manifold off, but can't get to 3 studs. Thought about popping the gearbox off, but can't get to the top 2 bell housing bolts because the engine is nicely up against the firewall, where it should be. So in the process of popping the engine and box off the mounts, move the whole lot forward, so I can get to the bell housing bolts, split the engine and gearbox, then finally get access to slave cylinder. Fun. Not.

IMAG0145_zps6553ad7f.jpg

LexusV8_zpsa9751f4c.jpg

• Like 1

Sunday fun. I should be in the house looking after my 8 week old daughter and giving her mum a rest but instead I'm doing this:

IMAG0096_zps0w9sqvzs.jpg

Everything is unbolted ready to move forward, but daughter wants attention, wife wants what's left of her sanity to remain, so back on baby watch for now.