DonMcDazzle's '69 Landrover/cruiser

DonMcDazzle

Hi all,

Here is my 1969 land rover series 2a. I bought it sight unseen (silly me) on trademe. It has 70 series toyota landcruiser engine, gearbox, axles, diffs and disc brakes so it goes a bit better than it would have out of the factory. It has been a bit of a slow process as the truck is in Otaki and I live in wellington but I've slowly got things done on it.

The chassis and body needed some work so I accumulated a few body parts and have started to get the chassis sorted out. I bought another guys project as a donor for mine which had all the body parts I needed, and used some of the parts of his chassis too.

Banter: //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/39847-donmcdazzles-69-land-rover/?p=1148665

In between cutting off the rear crossmember and putting the nice one on we got a hose and brush in the chassis and washed out all the dirt that had accumulated inside. I'm glad I did that when I had the chance as there was a fair amount of dirt in there. Here is the novel way of drying it out; using an old heater with a hose attachment and jacking up the front (heat rises and all that)

IMG094_zpsd9494e70.jpg

• Like 3

While I had it all in pieces, another thing I thought it would be good to do, and what a few British guys do, is get the steel body parts galvanised. I suppose the poms need it more as they salt their roads, but after taking off one massively rusty bulkhead/firewall I wasn't keen to have my nice one rust out. So I got that, the front panel that holds the grille and a part of the gearbox tunnel blasted and galvanised.

I went to a bloke in Upper Hutt who did the media blasting, super reasonable rates and did a decent job on it. I then used an outfit in petone for the galv. Again pretty good rates. Combined the blasting and galv cost me $160 which I thought was a good price, and not that much to pay for hopefully a few extra years of rust protection.

Front panel:

IMG090_zps7f42288c.jpg

Bulkhead:

IMG089_zps8f1b2bc5.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

So bit of a delay between posts here. I got a job up in Auckland and so haven't had a chance to do any more work on the truck. So my holidays have consisted of 10 hour days as I would like to finish it and drive it back up north. I have sanded and prepped the panels, tidied up and painted the chassis and have started putting things back together. Some photos:

Started the reassembly. Got the bulkhead on the body and fitted the clutch pedal. Bit of a mental milestone when you start putting things back together and it starts looking like a truck again (sort of). Got one more week to finish it before I start work so wish me luck.

Discussion thread: //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/39847-donmcdazzles-69-land-rover/?p=1148665

IMG171_zps454999b5.jpg

IMG172_zps682a4369.jpg

• Like 3

More stuff painted today. Tomorrow hopefully I can connect the brakes and clutch, install the accelerator pedal and start on the wiring.

IMG180_zps8f63d04b.jpg

IMG175_zpseeaaefb1.jpg

IMG178_zps5ea0b09e.jpg

IMG176_zps06c28bbb.jpg

I think I'm a bit obsessed with the matte black, I've done the badges and grille. Hopefully it looks alright all put together.

• Like 1

Well I didn't finish by my self imposed deadline of today unfortunately, a few relatively small jobs left to do. I have to weld in some flexi hose into my exhaust and hook up a waste gate actuator and all the other turbo connections. Did a trial fit of the body and luckily everything lines up ok.

Here is the rear tray on, with one of my helpers in the shot. I reckon the colour looks good, really happy with it,

IMG183_zps3f73d101.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got the front of the chassis sorted finally. Just needs turbo hooked up, exhaust sorted and then some wiring done and I'm ready to reassemble.

Sprayed the inside of the chassis with this stuff called prolan, meant to be a good rust preventer so hopefully that pays off. Pretty painful process to do.

Anyway here is a pic of the weld job on the front rebuilt hangers

IMG192_zps2dc02a33.jpg

Sorry for the shakey photo done with my crappy phone

Just heard from one of my mates that the wiring has mostly been done. Yay. Only the exhaust to weld up and the turbo to be hooked up. Speaking of which, I added a thread in the for sale/wanted section but may as well ask here. Does anyone have a wastegate actuator off a ct26 that they would want to sell? Can't find one for the life of me.