El Nino - 52/56 VW Beetle Drag Car

Keefy

I registered on here a few years back when we first started the emigration process and haven't got as involved as I would have liked.  Other commitments I guess.  Anyway, a few years later and we are now 4 weeks away from emigrating to NZ and the one car that is definitely coming in our container is the wifes drag car.

Built in 2005/2006 cos she wanted to run a 10.  She did, and then Nino sat around, got a bit rusty, was stripped ready for a resto/rebuild ... and then after I learnt the shipping company wanted a rolling car and not a bare chassis and 3 boxes of parts has been hurriedly semi-rebuilt (for shipping purposes only).

This was the car circa 2006. 

I+get+the+wheels+up+1.jpg

KS+Bleach+Box+1.jpg

After getting the car under cover we blasted the chassis a few months back, and after a coat of chassis black it started to look a little nicer.  Labelling and logging everything that came off made getting it back to a rolling chassis super quick.  This is how she looks now.

IMG_4008_zpse7712c91.jpg

It's likely to be slow burning this one.  Once we take delivery in NZ I'm going to need to partially strip it again to get the steering and suspension parts cleaned up and coated.  And of course the body wants paint.  Oh yeah, and its currently without a motor!  Its likely she'll end up something like this, in Audi Numbus Grey.

522_10151091960807127_1152905697_n.jpg

Plans?  Well it weighs just over 500kg WITH the driver.  It is very capably of running 9's, and I'm hoping that we'll manage to find the time and money to chase down that figure over the next few years.

Discussion thread is here //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/39727-keefys-5256-vw-beetle-drag-car-el-nino/

• Like 8