Di0n's R31 Wagon

di0n

Six months ago while I was overseas I spotted an R31 Wagon on TradeMe. It was in my home town and the price was right so I sent my brother to go and get it. When I got back home I quickly realised it was nowhere near as tidy as the photos had made it out to be,

f8766c10-0351-4125-96c1-a6aab491bb6d_zps

image_zpsba44e802.jpg

So i decided the only way to tidy it was to touch up the paint and get new wheels, but a paint touch up turned into a full repaint.

IMG_6940_zps237cb57f.jpg

IMG_6939_zps2cdeb49d.jpg

IMG_6941_zpse5c63974.jpg

And here's a little teaser shot of whats to come...

IMG_6950_zps1fbfd043.jpg

Let me know what you think.

Today I refitted all the parts I had removed for painting. It's finally starting to look like a car again. Having a few problems with the power steering so I need to get that sorted before I can drive it home. Anyway here's a picture we took today with my mates phone, sitting on the old wheels still until the new ones get polished. image_zpse1c37bab.jpg

As you can see its sitting lower in the back at the moment so I think I'll have to drop the front some more.

• 8 months later...

So I got home from overseas in October to find the wagon had leaked both it's trans and engine oil all over my shed floor. I decided the running gear had to come out for repair and the engine bay was in desperate need of a tidy up so rather than waste money on the old RB30 I went out and bought a RB25DE and manual box. Now the bays been painted, the motor and box are in, just got to do a little rewiring. Pics tomorrow.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So the manual conversion I bought came with everything, but when I went to install the driveshaft I realised it was way too short. I did a bit of research and found out what I had was a manual driveshaft from a Japanese R31 sedan, not an Australian R31 Wagon so nothing matched up. So I had the guys at Henwood Automotive (local hot rod shop) swap the manual yoke onto my auto driveshaft. So hopefully this weekend it should leave the shed under its own power for the first time in nearly a year.

In other news, I scored a Series 1 Passage grill from a JDM R31.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This project has been on hold for the last year due to too many projects and too much work. I built a 1UZFE 91' Prado over the summer which took a lot of my funds and time but I've now decided to sell that and finish the Skyline. Barry from MRP has been given the task of building me some suspension, fully adjustable Fortune Auto 500 Series. So they should be arriving in the next few weeks. Then I'll be off for a cert...