trailer regulations

Guest logan360

Guest logan360

Hey all. i am looking at building a trailer. one of those trailer kits won't work for what I'm doing. all i will say is its custom, and will take some time. my little secret.

but what i need to know is

are there any regulations for trailer length?

height?

shape?

do taillights have to be led yet?

it will be deemed homebuilt too so:

how much is it to certify and register a trailer?

is there anything else i need to know?

thanks guys.

Guest snapper

you're probably going to need to disclose more info. like what kind of weight does it need to carry, what kind of dimensions, sgl/dbl axle, height, loading method, what you're gonna pull it with.

that way those folks who know, will be able to consider your challenge and provide useful input. when they all get back from nats, of course.

Guest shizzl

imho EVERY car transport trailer should be tandem,braked and have double safety chains.

homebuilt trailers SHOULD have to be certed..stupid laws allow half arsed DIY types welding shit up with crap welds.

• Like 1

Guest AllTorque

homebuilt trailers SHOULD have to be certed..stupid laws allow half arsed DIY types welding shit up with crap welds.

If they are that crap they shouldn't get a WOF anyways

Guest logan360

Ok. more info. I'm deep into my volvo's. if you look though the project threads you'll see my baby. i have parts car for her and i got the idea to turn what remains into a trailer. cut in front of B pillar. single braked rear axle. full running car weighs about 1500kg so half a stripped out car would weigh not much.

rear drums

wheel well cut out

turn into a mini caravan with a bed a light or two etc.

prettm much what people do with hilux trays.

Guest Nominal

Certainly do-able, although most look ugly to me. There was one at the BH made from a 30's Ford (or Chev - can't recall). Probably best to do a photochop first to see if it's going to work out well. Most end up ugly.

Also, ditch the Volvo axle and sling a proper trailer axle under there. As AT says, weight balance will be an issue.

Anyone ever noticed that there almost no automotive concept so obscure that you can't find a photo thread for it on some forum?

http://retrorides.pr...ay&thread=72068

4015060669_4e1df09837.jpg

retroridesstuff_0001.jpg

Guest logan360

It doesn't have to be from the b pillar back. but that's just a idea of what i was looking at doing. i think if done right it could look pretty sweet towed behind its counterpart.

Guest camo_78

i was planning on doing the same to go behind my 96 GTB Legacy,already have a body cut in half but it looks weird so probably scrapping it.as said above though,do a photoshop first,its easy to restore stuff in an image than in metal/measure twice cut once etc etc yadda yadda,lol