trimming bump stops

Guest jesselc

Guest jesselc

Got myself a real cheap pair of mk1 mirage shocks off trademe, went to put them in just before and holy mother fuck are they short, which is perfect because they'll be captive buuuut bump stops seem to be kissing each other with them in.

is it legal to take an angle grinder to them provided it's reasonably tidy? and if not, where can i buy shorter ones/get someone to make some?

Chur.

Guest durty

use a bread knife to cut them down, not 100% legal but if it looks neat enough you will get away with it

angle grinder will make a mess of them usually

Guest Borgweiser

Go down the road to Extreme, they have a bunch of bumpies..

Otherwise use durty's suggestion, angle grinder good for making smoke and fire

Guest UTERUS

Cutting aint legal.

But, I've had success with cutting them down with a hacksaw and making them look pretty again with a flap disc on the grinder.

• Like 1

Guest BZG-Bling

Does it sit on the bump stops full time now? I can see the merits of trimming them to get more travel (works good). But if you have no travel now, unless you have maaaassive bump stops, I can't see if ending up with a safe amount of travel. I can just see it ending up on bump stops erryday when loaded up / going over bumps. Which is bad news at the best of times.

Guest Yowzer

You have to make them progressive (ie not flat cut), so just shape them into a dome with the flapperwheel once you've cut them and she's all good

Guest Seedy Al

yeah the mount shop do them and so do BNT slash autoline

but it totally depnds on the bump stop style we are talking here

I cut mine all the time

only had a problem after I got a pink sticker and vtnz had a mare.

just bought some slim 10mm ones and all was gravy

Guest jesselc

sweet cheers fellas, hacked them up, shocks fit but at full extend the car is at 110mm :/ sheeeiiiiit but then again it's all legal-ish

Guest cute wee gem

I passed cert with 12-15mm flat bump stop that was cut down with angle grinder and sanded smooth with bench/belt sander

Far from progressive lols