Any GC's that want to help me out? (Auckland area)

Guest Aaron

Guest Aaron

Hi all, I'm trying to get my front struts out, but not having any success.

I was able to get the caliper off, but when I try take the bottom bolts off the strut, they aren't budging.

Can supply cash/durries/drank for any help given.

Chur.

Guest BZG-Bling

Get yourself a decent 1/2" socket set, you'll never have the problem again. Pretty much a requirement for working on cars anyway. But if you already have one, just grab a power bar on it's own. Won't cost much. Actually, if the socket bent and broke, then you likely don't have a decent set. Good investment.

Guest UTERUS

Make sure you get a lush socket set and power bar, you will be swanging off that bitch a fair bit over the next few years and a shit one will break into your nuts with the power of a thousand suns.

Trust me.

• Like 2

Guest Yowzer

Not uncommon for tools to have a lifetime warranty. (decent tools anyway)

A mate wrecked his ratched coz he slapped a massive pipe over the end trying to crack a nut. Took it into the rep (can't remember what brand, Snapon I think) and he swapped it there on the spot, no questions asked.

Guest snapper

yeah, good old Sears Craftsman (reasonable quality, low price) used to be "unconditionally guaranteed forever". know a guy who welded a spanner to something, cut it off with a grinder, took it back in to Sears and said "it broke". they replaced it without question. my 1/2" set is Craftsman. used to have a Sidchrome 40pc I bought new but it got stolen (sob). craftsman is nothing like snap on, of course. fine for DIYers.

long after the thrill of a low price is forgotten, the disappointment of poor quality remains. you'll never regret buying quality tools.

Guest coldturkey

Some times with seized on shit you just have to think outside the box. Power bar with handle sitting on a jack is a trick I use a fair bit.

Or the "2 spanner trick" is legendary (as long as you dont have cheap spanners or they will break). Cant find a pic but you put the ring on the nut, and use a second larger spanner and put the ring of the second spanner inside the open end of the first and use the extra length as leverage.

But yea just get yourself a decent power bar first (also known as breaker bar).

Guest BZG-Bling

If you need a rattle gun for those bolts, it's time for a new hobby. Unless it's covered in rust, covered in more rust, a power bar will smash it.

Something like this might be worth a look: http://www.mitre10me...h_drive_254105/ bunnings will likely have reasonably priced gear too. Just make sure to get one with power bar. Powerbar to loosen the nuts, ratchet to do the rest. Don't be rough on the ratchet and use it before the power bar and it will last forever.

Guest snapper

I'd be more inclined to buy this metric-only half inch Bahco set unless you have a penchant for vehicles with pre-metric fasteners. My spannering partner in crime has been running a Bahco one-hundred-and-someting piece set for a few years now, and it's stood up to all the abuse. we had Bahco sockets on a rattle gun a few weeks ago with no ill-effects.

you'll still need to buy that strongarm though!

Guest 77magnum13hundy

Ive used Fuller stuff and it was getting abused thats pretty cheap but will take the hidings. But yeah id say spend a hundy or so for a decent set. Using small stuff to do big things will only wreck them tho so get a variety of stuff. A small kit 3/8 is good up to 14 mm then anything bigger use the bigger stuff, as in 1/2 inch and so on.