Borg Warner 35 making weird noises

Guest Muncie

Guest Muncie

Just getting car ready for beach hop and really thought i should investigate further as it took few revs today to get the ol girl to move up a steep drive today in reverse and made some aweful whining/humming sound while doing it.

Normally i just rip auto boxes out and throw in a manual but i think i'll give it a second chance i'm hoping it just needs a fluid change to sort it as it drives fine once its warm. anything else i should look it while i have the pan off?

Guest Muncie

only had it on road 3 weeks work done is minimal by last owner i'm trying to get it back up to spec for some family cruising, anyone know if there is special grade these would prefer now Trans fluid has come a long way since this gearbox rolled off the line. cant be assed with a manual swap this year so this needs to live a bit longer yet.

Guest Snoozin

My 2.5 did this to 2 BW35's and both shat themselves in quick succession. By the time I had a 3rd decent one in I decided manual was the only option. Best thing I ever did.

Guest Borgweiser

Reverse has a much higher fluid demand, generally the noise in reverse means the filter is blocked or the level is low.

replace oil and filter and you'll be sweet. Remember BW35 is meant to use type F fluid, hard to find but Dexron 3 is okay in service I find.

Guest Snoozin

^ Did both to mine, and adjusted bands to spec and it still fucked out.

Valvoline do a nice readily available Type F fluid, at least they did 18 months ago when I probably last filled a BW35 with fluid.

Guest Borgweiser

I suggest trying my suggestion with a optimistic outlook.

The 35 is a strong unit, such so that it gets neglected. No need to condemn it yet, it's only a minor fault if you can hear it whirring it's fluid starvation.

Especially since it was a steep driveway in reverse....

Guest Muncie

Type F it is. driveway was real steep both wheels started to slip just as i made it to the road quite likely it had all the fluid at wrong end of sump.

Guest Muncie

Dropped pan last night found all manner of gunk and what looks like a hair clip stuck to the magnet. cleaned all the shit out refilled with valvoline type F noise is gone but didnt get to test drive as drank 1 to many Cans of Diesel.

• Like 1

Guest Muncie

Just got back from beach hop 450 k's trouble free after type F went into the pan turns out filter was blocked as 3 of the 4 gauze panels in it were choked as with grit and just general trans dirt all in all bloody happy. just left it in D all weekend and cruised shit out of the car.

• Like 1