1Ton's VG Valiant

1ton

Was asked if I had a thread for the Val and had been meaning to start one, so here goes

Never owned a Chrysler before though was surrounded by them growing up, eldest bro owned heaps of them

Its a stock 245 with flows and big ass pipe right through, bit on the rare side being a manual Valiant also. Wound down torsions and 2" blocks with good old tridents, 7" & 8"

Bought it from Lower Hutt, guy had parked it up all roadworthy back in '09 when he went to work in Oz. He was forced to return and sell it because the person storing it needed the space back and the VG was now sitting under a cover outside. He chucked in so much spares that there was only just enough room for me lol

When I bought it the light switch wasnt working(typical) so I had to run a wire off the battery for the drive back to ChCh, looked funny at the ferry, me rushing to connect/disconnect my lights. Aside from the light switch everything else worked mint and the running gear was good though I could hear the odd tappet chatter when at idle, she might only be a 245 but damn its good.

These are the only early pics of it ATM coz the rest are on busted PC, original colour was light green metallic with white roof apparently, then someone painted over that with snifter green.

dsc04290a.jpgdsc04206rg.jpgdsc04204le.jpg1003780q.jpg

First thing on the list was replace the old light switch- $80 later I had a new one from Ingear on Ferry Rd who sell Valiant restoration bits.

vallightswitches.jpg

and washer reservoir pump wasnt going so I rigged up an aftermarket washer for now until I get another original type pump, would prefer the original look.

valwasherbottle.jpg

Had some black paint left over from the Sigma and wasnt a fan of green and different shades of primer so gave it a temporary coat of black til I decide on a final colour, was thinking even go back to original paint scheme but yeh bogan black for now. 1003895e.jpg1003896e.jpg1003898v.jpgvalfront.jpgvalrear.jpgvalskully.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Some missing and farting from the motor all of a sudden was enough to motivate me to update some motor bits: new dizzy cap, new rotor and ballast resistor

0000385.jpg

While changing the rotor I bumped the points wire and it completely broke off from the points as if it was barely hanging on so I think I found what was causing the miss. Popped in the spare set for now.

Also noticed that the amp meter wasnt reading anything for a while but didnt think much of it til I got a flat battery so off to the shop again for a new voltage regulator

1003966y.jpg

That reminds me, gotta paint that engine bay lol

• 9 months later...

Been a while since I updated the old fellas thread. Been busy with a few other things so he just sits there waiting.....and waiting

Life threw me a curve-ball a week before Nats'13 so instead of me & mrs goin north in the 'Venger we all piled in the Val instead.

Needless to say we had a couple of issues on the way up, the first becoming apparent the moment we hit the road, rear guard design + lowering blocks + 6 people + lots of luggage in the boot = copious guard rub/tyre smoke (we were lucky to get to Kaiapoi from ChCh) so out with the hammer to give a bit of allowance until I could get somewhere where I could rip the blocks out.

Next issue was in Turangi when the brake pedal went straight to the floor, no brakes at all, wtf.

Had a look underneath and saw brake fluid leaking from one of the rear lines.  Found a workshop run by some South African guys who were more than keen to help me make up another line. They were top blokes, offered them some money but they didnt want any payment for their time/material, just happy to help, karma they said.

old line

19w2.jpg

new

ibc6.jpg

apart from having to get new brushes put in the alternator (grrrrrrr) we didnt have anymore issues but I couldnt wait to rip those 2" blocks out so I did that the first chance I got.....

2fi4.jpg

I also put in my new carpets from Autodec (before the roadtrip) to make it more "passenger-friendly", didnt actually make it any more quieter though haha, but looked heaps better.

stripped out:

tv4x.jpg

after:

ufs6.jpg

h6ue.jpge

Im planning to give the motor a major birthday sometime as the carb could do with rekitting, the lifters need doing, a few gaskets need replacing etc

and I might have a contact for a mint rear bumper

• Like 1