EX 1200 to 4G63 carby

JR7073

hey,

im new to this forum thing but seems like a good place to ask questions and bounce ideas around. 1st of all im Joe and work on my familes farm in west otago about a half hour from gore or 1.5hours from dunedin or wanaka, im not a mechanic by any streech of the imagination but have always had a keen interest in mechanical stuff and have had bit of experience repairing machinery, like tractors and various implements (usually replacing parts or welding things back together nothing major like reconditioning a gearbox or rebuilding the actual engine). Now curiosity has got the best of me and im imbarking on a journey that i have little idea on where it will take me, all i know is i have a garage and a car to get started on. So here goes.

1. Purchased a 1980 EX Lancer (1200) in very good condition for $2000.00 off a guy in Mosgiel who had bought it for his daughter as a first car but she didnt like it because it had no power steering. It had one previous owner who lived in Dunedin and I think either died or was unable to drive it anymore. Anyway he really looked after it, wool seat covers, must have been garage its whole life as the paint still looks new, only a couple defects and a we dent in the bottom left rear panel,looks like someone backed into something. Starts first pop and has done a genuine 69,000km, (i carjamed it). This car was even manufactured at Todd Motors in Dunedin !!

Here's a pic after I got it home

0a5xoxgl.gri.jpg

2. Bought some sounds as it was factory with no stereo, insteed i get a piece of plastic and a magnetic therometer which is pretty old school so it gets to stay :)3vdcubsk.ft4.jpg

Talked about cutting some plastic in the centre console to fit the headunit but then decided that would look out of place and not old school enough so opted for a sneeky glovebox install.Wasn't to tricky just had to unscrew the glovebox out cut a hole in the back to fit all the wiring,its not coming out so the hole is no biggy and im sure if i wanted it out there would be plenty of EX gloveboxs about haha lnyoxhrh.qdx.jpg

so then onto speakers i was advised by an auto electrition not to cut into the door cards because of the mintness so haven't got anything in the way of speakers in the front,thought i could mount some 4"s under the dash but that proved to be a bad fit,(any ideas about front sounds would be helpful) just 6.5" (blue) sony xplods in the rear tray, they go surpising well, had thought about chucking my set of 1000w 12" subs with a big 2channel 1200w in the boot but from previous experience with them they take up to much room and are impractical when it came to going away camping for NY etc, but whenever i listen to some phat bassy tunes i start to sway towards putting them in and going for a long bass riddin cruise that drowns out the sound of the car, and with no tacho shit could get messy espically since these subs go so harrd i dont think i could even feel the 1200cc beast. mnfzt3g1.3z0.jpg

I hope you guys dont think im a filthy bogan by now, (although i am growing a mullet :P) i actually never really go cruising although recently a mate of mine had a bright yellow n black wrx sti tricked the fuck out on 19s with soo many mods it was insane pushed well over 300hp forged pistons , had the whole bias control thing so u could make it 80:20 to the rear and do mad hellies, massive front mount you know the story, went hard as. he sold that and now has a s4 sev which gets loose.don't have a pic of the sev , needs a respray IMO , still has the badass factory wing on it,13b turbo standard port really gets off its ass sounds sick when the turbo really spralls up, was glowing red the other day when we deceied to finish the rear tyres off, bought them for the rims with shitty old worn tyres on them. Oh and another mate jusst picked up a Chevy blazer with a 2" lowering kit and 20s!! If only i had this when i was at school haha. Always wanted a big truck with massive wheels, now i tink id rather a ute that i can go 4WDing in. aeujf542.3ok.jpg

n5p4eh11.dh3.jpg

3.Anyway enough about cars i don't own. I bought a GLX sigma for $300.00 goes not to bad has an oil leak coming from the carby, but it seems to run all good, had originally planned to put a WOF n Rego on it and flick it off to make some extra cash but i think deep down i knew it had a 4G63 in it and this was destined to go on to bigger and better things than a simple WOF and rego. btw it had 4 brand new tyres and had only done 500km since its last WOF around 12months ago...bargain i know!! Perks of living out in the country where people still sell things at face value and not the going price on trademe haha. 5q2ovcfa.d5f.jpg

Heres a pic with a few panels off, I took it for a bash around a paddock made a sweet drift track was mint, also it has a brand new pioneer stereo and 6.5" in the rear tray bxf4zd02.fl2.jpg

4. Bought these off TM with newish tyres for $1500 , were advertised as SSR mesh , turns out they are not and have found out they are AME (Auto Mobile Engineering) which are made in the same factory as eneki in japan. Brand was estb in 1981 and they were the 1st to release 17"s in 1986 in japan and the 1st company to release 20" worldwide, can't find much else out about the brand apprently a sleeper brand , i know they are bigger now and make VIP luxury mags and some nice racing wheels but not much info on the old mags like the 15"s they made , would love it if someone knew where i could read up on them, they are 15x8 2piece and im running 165 on the front, 185s on the back. Way to wide though, thinking about getting some camber plates and tucking them under.

2q4nv2zt.xbk.jpg

Gave them a quick spray paint white as the had started to go a bit creamy coloured here's a pic showing how much they poke outside the guard.also the front chrome strip has come detached slightly, have tried some hot glue to get it to stay in place but it came detached again, also the black plastic along the side of the car is starting to come off :(o3vkfvp4.bmx.jpg

here is a rear shot, ull notice chrome door handles :) got them for $20 l22303dn.jqm.jpg

• 1 month later...

So i learnt the hard way that running 15x8 with 0ffset mags on the front dont work, was crusing into Dunedin on the motorway and all of a sudden the car vilonetly swerved to the left, It felt like I had hit a big pot hole as it recovered after the inital swerve, luckly I was just about off the motorway, so I got off and pulled over to have a look, initally I thought the stretched tyre had come off the rim as I had heard of that being a common problem and my tire pressure was down to 15psi , pumped it back up and all seemed sweet, drove around for the next day or so and then,... driving along I start to hear this scratching sound like i was curbing the rim it starts to get louder and the steering starts getting worse I pull over to check it out,...wooops broken stub axel all that was holding the hub together was the brakes , lucky the wheel didnt fall off completely. Got some 1600 galant front struts now and running factory rims , was pretty gutted as I love these rims , oh well I see their are some cherry blossom like replicas made by OG on TM now with a 25p offset fingers crossed they work out.