Gomaxgo's 1985 ke70 tan wagon

Gomaxgo

Ok, so about a year ago i bought a mates 2 door ke70 wagon. It was twin headlight, resprayed tan and everything else was standard.

At the time a mate of mine simon (aka SURFAB) had a Altezza he was going to build, and a 1GFE he had no use for.....

"a dx daily that had enough grunt to tow my starlet to the track, and reliable too", things kinda snow-balled from there.

Unfortunately i didn't take photos throughout the build, i only have these which were pinched from someone else's blog.

dscf9461s.jpg

dscf0641w.jpg

dscf9459nn.jpg

a shitty phone pic while being panel and painted, note rear guard height in relation to the lines of the car compared to first pic

20618634495297225575413.jpg

soooooo i better have a break down of what has been done so far...

ENGINE/GEARBOX/DIFF

The engine was a freebie from Simon. W55 gearbox and i just happened to have the correct bellhousing lying round.

There was issues with the headers fitting, BUT ALAS! they happen to fit upside down, so some 2.5" U bends were bought and some super head-turner headers were born.

But what really blew my mind was that the 1GFE throttle body points upwards....... in the same spot as the 4k carb........ with the same OD! so the factory air cleaner assembly was retained and is still plumbed up to suck air from the inner guard. Between the intake and the exhaust, many LOLs were had. Oh and it has a SURFAB flag.

I already had a link G4 storm for the Starlet, so i bought a second loom and wired it in. I can't drive both cars at the same time so one computer with two maps is perfect.

The firewall was cut and half the trans tunnel went with it. Cheers SURFAB for folding/rolling up some new ones!

I had a spare hilux diff which was shortened, converted to disk brake, with new mounts and redrilled stud pattern to suit my weird ass wheels (4x130)

SUSPENSION

The fronts are shortened strut castings with shorter shocks, coil over springs and keepers on a new spring perch. Luckily it is a late model wagon, so AE85/6 bits bolt on with no redrilling or modifying. Some camber plates up top while the LCAs have been rose-jointed, very helpful for widening/shortening track to fit wheels.

Also in the mix are some motorFIX 45mm RCAs and Hardrace caster arms.

The rear leaves have been reset 3 inches with an extra leaf for stiffness and has 2 inch blocks. Hilux front shocks now live in the back to keep things firm.

The bumpstops have been relocated due to the original bumpstop mounts being cut off due to clearance issues. The chassis rails have been notched for the diff and the floor under the backseat cut out and remade to clear the diff head and driveshaft. I swear every time i cut something out, the car would sit on another part of the diff!

BODY/WHEELS

As you can see the rear guards were cut right out to fit the wheels. I wanted to have an standardish looking body so didn't want any bolt-ons or moulded guards. Some front KE70 guards were acquired (thanks Cheerios), the flares were cut off and the stitched onto the back. I really wanted the flat edge on the side of the guards and I think it worked out perfectly!

The wheels are SSR Formula Mesh in 15x8s and 8.5s with 195 45 15s all round

So theres still heaps to do before cert so there will be a lot more pics/updates to come

• 2 months later...

Took it into work today to get some bits and pieces sorted.

Ended up under-sealing all around the inner rear guards and everywhere underneath i had to weld.

Tidied up some wiring and got the wipers working. Tidied some other stuff, then washed it for the very first time.

not all that productive really.... but i did get to drive it round all day which was pretty sweet

Finally took some photos too

dsc0003klf.jpg

dsc0008gj.jpg

dsc0001zz.jpg

dsc0013od.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

bit of progress made recently doing all the stupid little things

-windscreen no longer leaks

-Speedo is now working

-has 4 seats

-ect ect

The diff made a weird wining noise around the 60kph mark and got louder the faster i went, drained the oil and found it super dirty/metally. Was new oil when it went in the car so something wasn't right.

Out came the LSD diff head and in went a temporary open head, while i was at it i replaced all the axle seals and bearings.

Makes no noise now and upon closer inspection, the LSD has pitting and lots of wearing on the crown wheel.

Pic of the exhaust flag for lolz.

photoxvb.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• 4 months later...
Guest Gomaxgo

Cert tag arrived today!

In order to get it I had to remove and rebuild the rear leaf springs using the 2 sets that I had in order to have enough of an arc in them. They were a bit flat which wasnt really ideal.

The rear shocks were then too short and were topping out, luckily ive got a garage filled with all sorts from failed projects and parts cars so was easily sorted.

The exhaust got a wee scallop around the steering column for a little more clearance.

Fuel tank was pulled out and a pin hole leak welded up. After rinsing it out a few times and filling it with water before welding, i still felt nervous watching Simon welding it..

The 15x8s and 8.5s were never going to go through with the 195s so after tracking down some 15x5.5 steelies that were 4x130 (thats right, that new stud pattern totally bit me in the arse), I had them widened to 7s, put on the tyres and POW! problem solved.

After that it was a simple case of clipping hoses and cables then slapping that sucker on.

OS Nats here I come!

dsc0001rt.jpg

Oh yeah, its EFI, not carbed... WTF? is it likely to be an issue?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

On the way back from nationals I developed a wee fuel leak on the return line and finally after months of procrastination, I finally decided to fix it.

Took 5 minutes and was pretty boring/easy... really should have done it ages ago.

While it was up, I spotted this sitting on the gearbox x-member...

nl5g.jpg

A distinctive gold rock from the grasskhana driveway!!

wlmk.jpg
And the double brown centers are still holding in there too!

The rock made me lol so i felt the need to share
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

THINGS TO FIX AFTER NATIONALS

- Windscreen needs replacing after a stone flicked up and hit it. Every decent bump helped the crack grow. Currently at 19cm.

- Fuel leak. Appears to be coming from top of the tank somewhere.

- Rear end seems to wiggle about coming on and off throttle. Not too sure what the cause is yet but something worked its way loose no doubt. 

- Front left guard a little bent out of shape due to smashing holes and getting wild in the grasskhana. Yer Im not even mad, shit was fun! Cheers Bubblegoose for rolling it out again so i could get home!

14510_10202725130622876_401603807_n.jpg

• Like 6