HK Monaro Project

This is my Hk Monaro. I have had it since 1997. Time for a rebuild. The rear quarters are a bit worse for wear and need a bit of panel beating.

If anybody knows of a good panel beater in Christchurch that does not want my arm or make the bank own more of my house please enlighten me.

pictureipod2163.jpg

Discussion Thread;

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=34317

This pic was taken a couple of years ago when I got all keen and started scrapping off the old paint on the roof. It had 8 different topcoats, 4 blues, 2 oranges, 1 gold and 1 red.

cimg2199y.jpg

Was a lot of paint

cimg2218w.jpg

This is a 327 I brought for the monaro. It was in an old nuffield tractor that use to do tractor pulls at the AMP show.

cimg2222.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Dan Drummond the panel beater has already started on the monaro.

We were both surprised at the condition of the left hand side after he removed about a bucket full of bog, (no rust).

It uncovered some more badly repaired panels but I just cannot understand why they had put so much bog in it.

Some previous owner must have had shares in a bog factory.

Anyway the old car already looks better with more natural lines back in it with all that bog removed, plus it must be a bit lighter.

pictureipod2228.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Left hand side is looking great and Dan has done a fantastic job with welding in some rare spares panels and manufacturing some of his own where he removed the rust from underneath the outer skin.

Right hand side is being worked on now, found some more work that is needed to done.

Never is just straight forward with these old cars,

pictureipod2295.jpg

You can see the patch i put in in 1998.

A pic of me in 1998 working on the monaro,

y1phiwgr3xhaaohvgls3zzz.jpg

pictureipod2301.jpg

pictureipod2304.jpg

The race is on to get the family monaros going for my sisters wedding (in March 2013), this is a pic of my fathers monaro. He has had it since late 2000. It was mine originally which I brought from invercargill in around 1999 but due to spending to much on a trip overseas (in France) I sold it to him so I could still could maintain my drinking habit that I had acquired while abroad.

It will be powered by a nicely warmed over 350 chev and a manual saginaw gearbox

pictureipod2158.jpg

This car has some sweet lines going on.

pictureipod2159.jpg

A bit of a head start but I think I can get mine finished first. Well its taken him 12 years to get to this stage.

pictureipod2161.jpg

A lot of history with this car. It's a factory 307 manual that was converted to a drag car in the 1980's.

It use to have a tilt front with the engine recessed back into the cabin. It still has the rhs beams running thought the floor of the body to keep it from twisting. It sure is stiff as you can jack it from one corner and the opposite side will come up at he same height and the doors will shut fine.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Guest Motoroche

Spent a lot of time on my dads monaro to get it finished for my sisters wedding. We had it all finished and certified on the Monday then drove it to Invercargill on the Wednesday. 1600 km's return trip and it ran like a dream.

52266610200757185080161.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 months later...

The monaro is all painted now and looking great.
Still have a lot of work ahead putting it back together. At this stage I seem to be pulling it apart more than putting it together.
Overhauling the brakes at the mo. BNT are my friends their. New master cylinder and caliper rebuild kit on the way.

d3ls.jpgd3ls.jpg
d3ls.jpg

• Like 3