RXSUMO's Mustang - trackday potential??

rxsumo

Its been a while since I posted a new project car, so here it is ...maybe.

'82 Mustang GT

128141547_full.jpg

128141517_full.jpg

128141594_full.jpg

We brought it with the intention of using the motor for the Bronco, but the car is essentially sound, and being a GT, its manual, and has a LSD.

So it would be wrong not to give a crack at the track to see what its like to drive, before making a decision on whether to part it out.

So its time to sort it out before the next intermarque I can attend in December...

Replace the rubber brake lines with braided hoses

Replace the pads with something a little more competition spec

Lower it

Put some harnesses in

Put the race seat in

Fix the missing section of the radiator support panel

Fix the couple of spots of rust in the roof

Sorry no new photos as yet...

The old seats are out, my race seat is in - due to the budget contraints at this phase....the mounting is dirty and cheap (and fixed to the floor) got the harness in, got a couple of other jobs done....changed the oil....inspected the front end....removed the remains of the old seat belt system.

Had a misson with the battery....the NZ battery didnt fit in the mounts....the Mustang has a plastic battery support, with a lower clamp, a little like a BMW setup. The NZ "big" battery is around 5 mm to wide to fit in the box, and the "little" battery is 60mm to small and doesnt have the tabs for the clamps.....in the end, angle grinder and battery box = battery now fits snugly :lol:

Got a few other priorities over the next few weekends...so progress updates will be a little slow in coming.

Next on the task list is to get an order going from the states for the brake bits I need, decided to put in a new set of radiator hoses on at the same time, and a complete set of hose is only $US69.

Only new "issue" is it has a little movement in the LHS rod end.....oh well...Summit have a new quick P/S rack for $US500...could be the way to resolve it (if the car gets the racecar nod)

• 1 month later...

Okay time for some fresh photos.

I've been chasing some springs to lower the car somewhat, and I ended up buying some EBAY specials....less than $200 for a set of 4 landed in NZ. They were supposed to drop the car 2 inches all round, it worked on the front, but only dropped around 1.5 inches on the rear....so its got that nice nose down Hot Rod look :oops:

CIMG1514.jpg

CIMG1506.jpg

CIMG1507.jpg

So there is a little rust work to do in the car (if we keep it)

Drivers side is worst

CIMG1509.jpg

Passengers...

CIMG1508.jpg

The other repair is to the radiator support panel, for some unknown reason (possibly to repair a bent panel?)

Somebody has cut a chuck out of it, it didnt seem to be that rusty...so why...who knows?

CIMG1511.jpg

The interior now the original (non original) seats are gone

CIMG1510.jpg

CIMG1512.jpg

So at the moment, I'm waiting for some new front disc pads (EBC Yellows), braided brake hoses, and new radiator hoses to arrive, hopefully this week.

The latest little issue is to find a rubber support for around the top steering column bearing, as the old one is flogged out.

I've found a similar part number is used for the mid 70s Mustangs, and Cougars....so have ordered on from a restoration house in the States.

I'm targeting the Road and Track series on the 7th of November for its first outing....so long as all the bits arrive in on time

CIMG1504.jpg

CIMG1513.jpg

• 1 month later...

Update time again.....

We entered the road and track autocross at Manfeild in November, unfortunately just as i was putting the car on the trailer, I noticed a small puddle of oil...... anyway got the car out on the track to find that the diaphram in the fuel pump had died and it was pissing oil out of the breather hole....so back onto the trailer it went :cry:

The three laps we did were heaps of fun, sideways everywhere with its best BFG Lifesaver tyres :lol: The engine feels fairly strong.

So we have ordered a new fuel pump and a air pump eliminator off Summit racing in the States....

• 2 weeks later...

Next update time....still a few weeks behind the 8 ball with updates....

So the fuel pump didnt leave the US in time for the last round of the Intermarque Sprints, so it was out to the Hutt to see what Brendan and the team at Pro Parts in the Hutt could do for me....so a new carter pump, and we were all ready to go.....that was Friday before the Intermarque which was on the Sunday.....

Just as I fired the engine up with the new fuel pump....it started dumping water out of the water pump :evil:

So Saturday morning was spent finding out which Repco had a Ford V8 water pump. and rather than go to the company XMAS do, I was driving to Feilding and back, and fitting up the pump.

The cars first outing on the big track, was pretty cool, the gearbox is shite...its literally a 3 speed with overdrive, so I dont get to see 4th, and there are huge gaps between the gears.

Unfortunately the days ended early again, with oil peeing out of the front timing cover, and water peeing out of the radiator.

The only other real drama for the track was that I couldnt heel and toe, because the car runs a tiny gas pedal, and the gap between it and the brake pedal is huge.

The laps times werent too back for its first outing, with the car getting a 1:30 on its first timed run.

So $800 for a new radiator, and $200 for a new gasket set, and we were ready for the next event - last Sunday.

I also kitted the carbie, which was flooding in the Hairpin, and fitted the missing bonnet badge which arrived from Canada (found on EBAY). I also found a aftermarket gas pedal lying around in the garage, that I modified to fit which meant I could now heel and toe.

Unfortunately the weather wasnt very kind, and running on some very worn and old Hankook Z2000s, was okay in the morning but when the rain arrived , it got to the stage that it was best that the car went back on the trailer before it got bent. I had a fairly spectacular spin in the esses on my first timed run.

Here's some photos from the Motorsport Manawatu Facebook site...cheers to the team who took these :D

166354_169199036449844_120020924700989_278100_5156920_n.jpg

164125_169202266449521_120020924700989_278247_4581331_n.jpg

162655_169202526449495_120020924700989_278260_8211850_n.jpg

• 1 month later...

Time for another update, as we have got some work done on the Mustang over the weeks leading up to the XMAS break and over new Year.

The new 16 inch wheels are on the car, albeit they needed a little modifying around the centre holes.

While the wheels fitted the centre holes were stepped and wouldn't fit over the front hubs.

A couple of sessions with two 57mm holes saws and they now fit :)

CIMG1542.jpg

CIMG1543.jpg

The rear end has been lowered (again), with some Granatelli Motorsport Weight Jacking Lower Control Arms....these give adjustments from +50mm from stock to -25mm.

CIMG1549.jpg

We have also got some welding done, the radiator support panel is now sorted

CIMG1546.jpg

And MNZ legal towing eyes are now fitted, the front one being super HD, so that the car can be chained down to the trailer with it

CIMG1548.jpg

CIMG1552.jpg

And the engine's got some bling...

Billet aluminium pulley for getting rid of the AirCon compressor

CIMG1544.jpg

Billet aluminium pulley for getting rid of the emission control Air Pump

CIMG1545.jpg

Finally the new badge is fitted to the bonnet

CIMG1547.jpg

Its not the "correct" one for a GT, but I'm not paying $US250 for a plastic badge for the bonnet.

• 1 month later...

No Photos as yet...

The windscreen is out, and my welder mate, has plated all the roof holes, and welded up the seat brackets.

Just waiting for a slot at the panel shop, to have the roof finished and painted..

Roof plated and with the paint stripped off

00641.jpg

Blasting of the rust off the roof....

00835.jpg

00931.jpg

Roof prior to filling and painting

01229.jpg

01033.jpg

01132-1.jpg

01332-1.jpg

• 2 months later...

The Mustang is back from the panel shop ,so I spent the weekend reassembling the interior, and doing so other random stuff

Look ma...no holes...

CIMG1938.jpg

CIMG1936.jpg

The paint came out pretty good overall, we didnt want a flash shiny job, as it wouldnt match the rest of the car.

I also got around to stripping the aluminium backing off the body mouldings, so hopefully they wont twist up and lift off anymore, and fired the mouldings back on the car.

CIMG1934.jpg

CIMG1937.jpg

I scord a set of BBK springs for the front of the car, which gave me a similar ride height to the chinese "no name" springs, but were 1.5mm thicker in the spring wire, and had more windings, which should equal heavier spring rate.

CIMG1935.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well its been a while...

Latest race trim - I grabbed some of Mike's old race tyres, shoved them on the Mustang LX rims that were lying around

CIMG2104.jpg

The latest bit for the car from Ebay.

Factory HO Air cleaner, the car should have one of these from the factory. Returns the car back to cold air induction.

If it was good enough for the Group A engines....its gotta be good.

CIMG2105.jpg

Had the Mustang back at the track in May.

Got it down to a mid 28, which is only a second slower than Mike in the Pursuit car, and my M535i

Its kinda had to concentrate on your line, with a cop car up your ass :lol:

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=216903&g2_serialNumber=3

Only real drama at the track was me spinning the car, it gets a problem with tank surge when it has less than a 1/2 a tank of gas....the problem is real bad through the esses and into the hairpin....so bythe time you arrive at the hairpin, the engine has virtually lost all power....LSD unlocks...and spin time....

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=217065&g2_serialNumber=3