Mazda 808 wagon

Level7

Discussion

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=22403

This is my 808 wagon project, have loved these little wagons for years.

sold my RA23 Celica back in 96 to buy one and build it up as an RX3 wagon, then stumbled across this one in 2002 that was a lot tider, so bought it...

Sat for years, didn't really have the money to do anything with it.. then sold my old orange 808 wagon, and finally started rebuilding it in 2006.

about 4 different flats, multiple storage units its been tailored all over Auckland.. lol

Its a pretty sweet model, import jap spec, has all the smoked Nippon glass etc.. same chassis as the RX3 wagons..

79223182.jpg

52249089.jpg

12vg5.jpg

Unfortunately, some muppet had sprayed it in enamel paint at some stage.. was cracking all over the place.. so I ended up sending the shell off to have the enginebay and door jams sand blasted. Striped the roof and quarters by hand... Joy!

28lo2.jpg

35jm.jpg

47qn2.jpg

mostly paint striped and sandblasted to bare steel..

56dv.jpg

69na.jpg

78ij.jpg

82tb.jpg

shell etch primed, then has had a couple coats of primer.. rear quarters where strait as, never been dinged. :shock:

90vz.jpg

100tp2.jpg

115gd1.jpg

all panels acid dipped, and no major scary things uncovered luckily

125ua.jpg

131om.jpg

all my nuts and bolts and shit gold passivated and looking like brand new. 8)

nutsandbolts.jpg

Finally got the shell in some paint late 2007..

64636856.jpg

85326153.jpg

83872189.jpg

90957839.jpg

49875465.jpg

So spent my 4 days of at easter sanding, painting and more sanding.. dawn till dusk every day.. :?

On the up side finally got all the panels painted to match the car!

45542037.jpg

Dug my nose cone off my old car out from storage thats been wraped up for so many years i've lost count..

14812772.jpg

83308256.jpg

most of the panels hung in last stages of primer, sitting in my expensive drying room. (in between the rain..)

64894357.jpg

65572975.jpg

Finally hiting it all with some paint back in the same top end spray booth. aka driveway.

42920735.jpg

92122459.jpg

Finally all painted! now just the kit set to put back together, and to sort out an engine!

95958646.jpg

52290916.jpg

• 1 month later...

Finally getting some panels on, just need a spare 100 hours to finish polishing trims/glass and everything else, aligning the panels and then should be back in one piece for the first time in years.. lol

fronturu.jpg

backxt.jpg

Decided I might just convert it to RX3, was thinking of leaving it looking like a standard 808, but quite like all the blingy RX3 trims..

Need to mark out drill some holes and fit the RX3 tail gate chrome and the factory wood grain for the back, so should end up looking like my old wagon.

back2v.jpg

What it will look like with the RX3 spec tail gate.

rx3wagon.jpg

up till 2am drilling holes in freshly painted panels and making mounting clips.

Then slaping on woodgrain.. painfull job... :?

trim1.jpg

trim2i.jpg

trim3.jpg

trim4.jpg

Now time to start aligning all the panels properly and geting the glass and other crap in there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

finally moving under its own power again!

now just for new front shocks, raise the front up a bit, wheel alignment, new seatbelts, finish putting some of the interior panels, and go over all the nut bolts over neath, should be on the road again :)

enginerunning1.jpg

enginerunning2.jpg

• 1 month later...

Wheels back from Arrow wheels, I got them to change the stud from 4x114.3 to 4x110.

They drill out and fitting a metal sleeve insert thingy. Seemed to do a pretty sweet job, $65 a wheel not to bad.

Two more tyres to pickup tomorrow, then see if these things are going to fit without tearing the guards off.

wheels1z.jpg

wheels2x.jpg

wheels3b.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finally got some pictures with wheels on.

Went down to 100mm ground clearance, as low as I could go and get through Vin.

Also will fly through wofs at that height... tyres are a bit on the ilegal side tho.. front esp stretched to shit to get on, 175 would be better, think i could run if put camber plates up the front.

Would like to drop it another inch, but will mean breaking out spray gun, should have rolled under edge of the guards, but didn't really plan to run such wide wheels..

Still pretty happy with it, was the look I was after.

maz1p.jpg

maz2m.jpg

maz3.jpg

maz4.jpg

maz5.jpg

maz6.jpg

maz7.jpg

maz9.jpg

maz8.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...