BIG A's 1977RA25 1uzfe powered celica

BIG A

image007dy1.jpg What the car looked like before with the enigine just sitting in.

aaron005pe7.jpg More before pics just starting some of the rust work, see bottom left of passengers side.

aaron002re6.jpg Back to bare metal, this side was the good side, the passengers side I had to replace as there was an inch of bog and the metal was worse than a teenagers pimply face.

dsc00008ad8.jpg My tires...wide

backyard014qd1.jpg

backyard012yg2.jpg Newish rear quarter just tacked on.

backyard011gr1.jpg

cars022.jpg Motor in, bonnet down enough clearance...for now, supercharger to follow.

cars020.jpg Side view, massive wheels and showing new side skirt built for car.

cars019.jpg New front end made up with removable radiator support bar.

cars018.jpg New custom front to make engine easier to get in, also had to replace due to excessive rust. Will still run dual head lights.

Hopefully you guys like what you see so far.

dsc00006sc7.jpg What the car will look like.

dsc00007pz7.jpg

image018sf8.jpg A model I built of the car to see how it would look like in real life.

image011qg2.jpg

I have been experimenting with LED's for the tail lights but so far have had no luck, wasted a bit of money getting bloody LED's through Jaycar and the found out surplus electronics does them mega cheap.

If anyone knows who might be able to help with the set up please PM me as I really like the look of the LED's and it will fit into the theme of the car.

Got a deal for some seats so I am taking out the WRX seats that I currently have and will be replacing them with Honda S2000 seats.

Last time I was working on the car I had started doing all the seam welding and making up the new front clip for the car as I had pretty much done the major parts of the body work and rust repair.

Next thing to tackle is the suspension and making up the chassis from the firewall back.

• 1 month later...

Yay just bought my front mags 18x 8.5 chip foose nitrous grey with machined lip. Cost me $489 a pop but well worth it when you see them on the car.

Next thing is to get the ball joints and bottom end of a GX81 cressida for my struts so I dont have to modify the lower arm on the RA25.

Once I get that I can get the front wheels mounted and see what sort of clearance I have when I start working out the ride hieght.

As for what to do next I am in a bit of a pickle as I really want to get the rear end narrowed to get all four wheels under the car but I also need to get some steel to start working on the new chassis. Arghhhh!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Sold my WRX seats that I had for $20 more than what I paid for them and got a great price on some honda s2000 seats which I can get at anytime for the quoted price. Reason for swapping the seats A. the WRX seats are to wide and B. S2000 seats fit more into the theme of the car and they look nicer.

Next on the list is to get some pricing on box tubing as I plan to do some more work on the car in the new year. Off to Canada next month so money is tight. I wonder if I can get my airbag suspension into my luggage on the way back. ;)

• 3 months later...

Counting down the days till I get to go and do some more work to the car in Wangavegas...only 6 more weeks.

Just thought I better post up another pic I forgot I had.

This is the dash that I have to try and fit in the car.

Gonna be some cutting and moulding going on but it will all be covered in leather so you wont even know where it has been changed. (hopefully)

067rx.jpg

In case you didnt know tha dash is out of a facelift Mazda 6

• 3 weeks later...

045xo.jpg

046xt.jpg

Just finished doing the second model showing the new front (keeping the front bumper as requested) and I havent gone into the same detail as I did with the first.

The only thing left to do is put some guaze in the front opening and it is complete.

• 2 weeks later...

Well today has been my first day of two weeks working on the car in Wanganui and I have managed to cut the right front inner guard out to make room for the 18inch wheels. Took a look at the wheels and relised my dad had ordered the wrong ones, he got the chrome lip instead of the machined lip(Dork).

Started cutting out the right rear tub but will have to finished it of tomorrow due to needing to put in some structural support before I go any further.

Took out the diff which is going to Mike and his TA27 and got the ride hieght almost sorted before I had to pack up.

Will post pics as soon as I download them off the camera.

Pics as promised.

p1010068.jpg

p1010078e.jpg

Have been very busy in the last three days.

Cut out both sides of the rear end to get the ride and drop hieght sorted.

p1010076ui.jpg

p1010077ja.jpg

p1010071.jpg

p1010067s.jpg

These pics dont show the true dropped hieght but I will get a photo of that tomorrow so you can drool over it. Basically it leaves 40mm clearance between the bottom sill and the ground.

p1010075h.jpg

In this pic I have welded up the drivers side front tub as I had to modify to get the ride hieght correct, wasnt low enough, damn those 18inch wheels.

Currently waiting for my diff to come back from the engineers a little bit shorter than when it went in.

Will update more pics tomorrow. :D

progress has slowed due to the engineer saying that it would take a day to narrow the diff, go back a day and a half later and the diff is still sitting in the same place I put it. Diff will be ready by tuesday/wednesday next week and I also have him making the outers of my chassis rails out of 3mm plate steel. I decided to go for a more flowing lines on the rear kick up section of the chassis so instead of making it out of rect section tube I have opted to get the sides plazma cut and then tig all four bits for extra strenght and looks.

p1010089jh.jpg

Started trying to be a bit technical on the flares and was trying to get the overall shape worked out.

p1010091fg.jpg

Then decided to whip this baby up instead, tacked it in place instead of using the duct tape I had on it before.

p1010090ad.jpg

Chucked the rear hatch on to see how the whole things looked and almost creamed myself once I saw how good it came out.

Even my dad was impressed and that says a lot considering the work he has done on his cars.

If you look just over the back you will see his mini roadster.

p1010098fe.jpg

Welded up the front flares took some time to do as I had to wait for the metal to cool down before I could weld some more or the metal would shrink.

p1010097r.jpg

Finally got my rear rails back from the engineer and got some 3mm steel and tack welded it up and got this little baby all sorted.

Only got the other side to do tomorrow.

Sorry no pics today as there wasnt much to photograph.

Got my diff back late today which meant I couldnt get it under the car and I got the steel for the chassis and started cutting it up to measure.

Tack welded the rear chassis in place so I could get it squared away till next time.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Another update:

Was talking with my dad last night and he has started on the bonnet for the car. He has chopped up the RA28 bonnet that Mike gave me to get it to the diamensions of the RA25 bonnet and is going to get rid of the windscreen panel vents to shape the panel the same as the rear of the bonnet. Next thing for him is going to be reskinning the bonnet with the scoop as per my last model pic. And yes I kept the side vents from the bonnet as they will be going back in.

I was looking at getting a wiper panel of another RA28/23 as my one is pretty much stuffed but there aint a hell of a lot of these cars being wrecked at the mo.

So some progress being made while I am up here in Auckland which is good and hopefully my dad will do some of the panel repairs that I dont even want to touch just in case I stuff it up and warp the body.

• 5 months later...

Shit so its been a while since I have posted something up about the car but since I have started a new job recently I have to wait to accumulate some annual leave up so I can go down and work on the car.

I have however made some decisions on what supercharger setup I will be going for and I wont be going down the same road as sheepers with the m112.

I will be going for this instead.

1uzintercooledhtv61.jpg

Here is the set up in a BMW

V4YWlrsDtEc

It has a way better sound than the M112 and can put out some big HP :D

I should also have the air suspension system hopefully by the end of the month and will post up some pics when it does arrive.

There was some major dramas around getting the front struts done trying to communicate with auzzie and getting heaps of measurements and pics done to get it right. But it will be awesome once it is done.