mattj

Matt's Rotary Anglia

54 posts in this topic

More progress from the last couple of weeks, I got the rollcage all welded up

Cage%20Finished_zpsqzzfrkmi.jpg

It went together pretty well, I haven't made one before so lots of measuring and re-measuring but I got there in the end. So all this effort was pretty much for these little bits

Seatbelt%20Mounts_zps1k5qlvrv.jpg

which are the bosses that make the upper seatbelt mounts that go into the main hoop here

Seatbelt%20Mount%20In_zpsdgwptvff.jpg

So all done and in place it looks like this

Cage%20In%202_zpshfbgpvaf.jpg

Cage%20In%201_zpsa5wxw12k.jpg

I have a couple of things to finish on the mounting plates inside the car and then it is on to the exhaust.

8 people like this

Not a great video but you get the idea, it is quite loud although there is more induction noise than exhaust noise, will probably be better (worse?) with the bonnet on. I think it sounds awesome

1 person likes this

More progress from yesterday, I decided to remove a bit more steel, basically the bits at the side were going to end up looking a bit funny as I was going to chop away most of them, so I cut them out as well leaving this.

IMG_4443%20Medium_zpsheroymea.jpg

Then I made up some new ones

IMG_4442%20Medium_zpsbowhhncl.jpg

So these will mount here

IMG_4441%20Medium_zpsad3lzhye.jpg

and from the front

IMG_4446%20Medium_zpsbyxpspzf.jpg

this is going to give me an extra 140mm of width in the front intake and probably about 200mm of height, so that is a pretty massive gain. It is going to end up wider than it needs to be but I am thinking that if I end up needing to go to a bigger radiator (not that there is really any room for that....) down the track then at least I have some provision for it.

So todays mission is to get those bits welded in and replace the crossmember that I cut out, rather than replace the crossmember with something like it had I am going to make it out of tube as I have some left over rollcage tubing that should do the trick.

7 people like this

Got a bit more done, not quite as much as I hoped as the weekend was a total fail but I am getting there

All the fab is done

IMG_4453%20Medium_zpskge45oth.jpg

Front welded back together

IMG_4454%20Medium_zpslmsyveut.jpg

So the motor can go back in now, however there is one small snag, because I can't leave things along there was something else that has been bothering me, basically the muffler hangs too low and it would be good to quieten it down a bit so a few months ago I bought these

IMG_4459%20Medium_zpsbe549jc4.jpg

Now the exhaust is a bit of a basted to get in as it is all one piece so I chopped it and added some v-bands, this way the headers won't have to come out again

IMG_4458%20Medium_zps571mtkxk.jpg

Not sure if I will get the whole exhaust made this week as there are a few bits to figure out so it may end up with the old one back in for a bit longer yet, will just have to see how the week goes....

9 people like this