Anglia4's Bike Trailer

anglia4

This story starts in the past.

I have always used my typical dirt/rubbish/gib moving trailer for transporting my bucket bike. I've got a little wooden frame I drop in the front to hold the wheels and that's it. Great for taking it down the road to the local track.

But a couple of years ago, a North Island champs round at Edgecumbe happened to coincide with my family camping trip to Ohope beach. So I asked a friend if I could borrow his enclosed bike trailer, loaded up the bike, threw ALL the camping gear in the trailer, and away we went.

image.jpeg.da2c53dfc3cbac7a24669ce80b9b17df.jpeg

It was so bloody awesome for camping, and great being able to pre-load the bike and gear a few days out, and leave it safely locked away in the trailer for the whole trip. I had to have one. It was really nice and compact and light to tow. So I measured it up before returning it, and then set about doing my own design.

• Like 3

Initially I was going to make basically an exact copy, as it was so compact and just a handy little trailer.

I nabbed the motorcross bike trailer we used when I was young as it was about to be sent for scrap metal. I was going to use it as a base to build on, but later decided that it was too heavy, too short, too narrow and was going to be more hassle than it was worth. So during lockdown #2 I refurbished the old trailer, cut out all the rust, added some new steel, cables, lights etc and sold it to fund the steel purchase for a new trailer from scratch.

image.thumb.jpeg.03e8dd2e0a3618b0c5b2e7474924e5d0.jpeg

image.jpeg.0f5454ed4702fae3e0be502c36440fec.jpeg

image.jpeg.6c17409ccaf6f00f4773ceb77a30b2e3.jpeg

• Like 9

This is awesome, nice work! Could you build a modular shelf/Tyre rack in the top at the front so you can jam more shit in when you go camping? Are you going galvanize it or just paint the sucker?

Yeah I’m hoping to make some modular bits that “clip in”.

I don’t think it will fit into any galvanising bath, so I’m hoping I will be able to get it arc spray galvanised if it isn’t crazy expensive. I’m also looking into industrial epoxy paint coatings.

I don’t want to just brush paint it with hammerite like I have for my standard trailer. Because it will be clad in glued ACM I really don’t want to ever need to be doing rust repairs.

• Like 1

Yeah but this is big in 3 dimensions. I’ve looked, but am yet to find a big enough bath.

They all tend to be long, narrow and deep. So a wide flat trailer could be dipped sideways, but not if it’s 2m tall…

The other option is to make the top unbolt so it can be done in parts. Total pain I know, but double dipping is quite alot more expensive. From memory our single dip rate is 1.69+gst per kg but I'm not sure if that covers trailers. Some galv plants charge different rates for them.

Yeah I had thought about making it in sections with a few cold galv painted welds to join. But it was just going to be a massive paint in the ass. 
I’ll be happy with anything from epoxy painted upwards, have started sending my drawings out this week to see what’s achievable and what it will cost.

• Like 1

Got a wee bit more done last night.

Tacked the other bars into the front section and welded out the top part. Thought it might be easier before the upper framework goes in. I didn’t want to start fully welding the bottom and bracing until the top is restrained.

AC0C63CA-4CEA-4C4A-A4B2-CF1A30A93E75.thumb.jpeg.b152456e5ad439f41af1ad76cab78df5.jpeg

Also got the rear frame tacked up.

E29045B7-7A99-4493-9CE4-25138C742A7F.thumb.jpeg.57f0e22d11555d9de3422a48321726c1.jpeg

• Like 3

I’ve had to do lots and lots of thinking and careful measuring to make sure this is straight and square, cos my floor is certainly not.

It’s been braced and clamped and pulled with tie downs, but it’s pretty much where it’s in its shape now.

771F233E-67D9-4CDC-BDCC-04B77CEBF90C.jpeg.e31412dc2c83a1bccc07f325d9528aff.jpeg

Very hard to get a decent photo.

Most of the posts are in and some of the top frame. Soooo much welding.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I had a whole day to spend on the trailer yesterday so had another big crack at it. Soooo much welding...

I've got pretty much all the frame welded out now and have made the door for the front.

image.thumb.jpeg.36e906eb3d61a8c20d3fa56c30faae3c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.cba4a8e61327a3f23d1609a49d1f6288.jpeg

I've heard back from the galvanizers and they reckon they can't do it, so now I'm expecting that I will get it arc sprayed as long as its not going to cost a silly amount.

Next up, along with finishing all the doors, I'll get some chipboard packing sheets to lay a mock-floor cos I'm getting sick of tripping over while I'm working on it and then I can start planning and building the fit-out parts.

Plans include:

• Removable/stowable bike wheel chocks
  • Tire/wheel storage
  • A stowable mobile trolley incorporating my tools, spares, fuel and fire extinguisher to make set up at the track easier
  • A work bench
  • Maybe a bed

• Like 5

• 1 year later...

Jesus! 2022 was my last progress on it!

Well, after that update, we decided to sell our house. So I was frantically working on the house for about 6 months and then we moved, and the trailer doesn't fit in the new garage. So its been outside, in the grass since last June/July and its developed a bit of scale. Anyway @Duke Blackwood decided that he wanted it off his lawn, so he came up with a clever scheme that got it moved and forced me into working on it at his workshop.

Yesterday I took a day off work, welded on some mounting points for a future removable tire rack and work bench, fabbed up a draw bar, and welded on the spring mounts.

It was a pretty massive day in the workshop for myself, usually an office fairy... so today I'm pretty shot, to the point where my boss commented this morning on how tired I look :lol:

Anyway, its finally going to be heading off to blast and paint, and then I will make it towable so I can at least move it around while I sell something to pay for the cladding.

image.thumb.jpeg.5c153c946477607ddbcbf51a6a5eca33.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.bc4536b5d9d0b763ba156adb79aad97b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.72b134eb95abf92bde8e8be4153ce6f1.jpeg

• Like 4