Fletch's RFB32 resto

fletch

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shit yeah, this will be cool! 

After having not seen clapped out R32s driving on the streets for the last 5 or so years, I've got a renewed appreciation for how nice the shape is.

What's the gearbox situation like, is the factory box going to be happy with RB30? 

• Like 2

Yes there is a definite lack of them around now. Its all thanks to the sideways hat brigade and their hectic driving style.

Gearbox might be OK. Its a late 33 box i converted to push clutch. One of the main reasons for converting to e-throttle is to be able to limit the torque in 3rd gear, and 2nd if required.

I have a complete transfer case and bearing set to give it a birthday and set up the clutches properly, plus a couple of big boxes to raid for parts should i need it. I have been converting 2wd navara box internals to fit RB for a long time now for a bunch of local drifters and have plenty of parts to keep my box going.

However, there are a bunch of crazy norweigans who do a conversion kit for the bmw DCT trans. I think it will be about 10k which is a bit much, but dreams are free. Look up HPR tuning, there's some videos of a few 2jz and rb conversions. it looks awesome

• Like 7

Curious on the choice behind 8.5:1 Compression ratio for the build but keen to see results :)

My AE111 Levin project has the 370Z rear brake setup with the Akabono rear calipers (GT4 rear hubs, toyota highlander bearings/driveflange (5x114.3) a hub ring to center the rotor on the drive flange and then an adapter for the brake) went this way as the internal handbrake on the GT4 and 370Z was similar/same size (cant remember if I worked out it could just factory GT4 shoes or if I needed to add some more lining) 

Pretty sure I brought the bits before I knew that rock auto was the go but I didn't think $330 was bad for rear calipers back then (2019)

https://www.jegs.com/i/Power-Stop/419/S6182/10002/-1?trk_msg=J0VUDM8LCMF4B3PL9EC2QDMGQO&trk_contact=PHST57KEHEJ4JHTH6OUCNU8TO8&trk_module=tra&trk_sid=63E1DGRI1NVOMSC6D65SIEB518&trk_link=1E1GAD39M374BBES33HDTMRMI8&utm_source=listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Product&utm_campaign=Transactional&utm_content=Order+Confirmation

Or are you looking at the 370z brembo option?

3 hours ago, shrike said:

Curious on the choice behind 8.5:1 Compression ratio for the build but keen to see results :)

My AE111 Levin project has the 370Z rear brake setup with the Akabono rear calipers (GT4 rear hubs, toyota highlander bearings/driveflange (5x114.3) a hub ring to center the rotor on the drive flange and then an adapter for the brake) went this way as the internal handbrake on the GT4 and 370Z was similar/same size (cant remember if I worked out it could just factory GT4 shoes or if I needed to add some more lining) 

Pretty sure I brought the bits before I knew that rock auto was the go but I didn't think $330 was bad for rear calipers back then (2019)

https://www.jegs.com/i/Power-Stop/419/S6182/10002/-1?trk_msg=J0VUDM8LCMF4B3PL9EC2QDMGQO&trk_contact=PHST57KEHEJ4JHTH6OUCNU8TO8&trk_module=tra&trk_sid=63E1DGRI1NVOMSC6D65SIEB518&trk_link=1E1GAD39M374BBES33HDTMRMI8&utm_source=listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Product&utm_campaign=Transactional&utm_content=Order+Confirmation

Or are you looking at the 370z brembo option?

I think 8.5 will be a good comp ratio. I only want to run petrol.

The calipers are all Evo 6-9 brembo. I can get adapters to run the 370z rear disc and the internal handbrake will still work. Plus with the r34 master it will give me a correct front:rear bias without any tomfoolery with a bias valve and whatnot

• Like 2

Good work, wholeheartedly approve pulling everything apart and putting it in boxes and piles in multiple locations to ensure forgetting where they go. I'm pretty sure you can make the bakery window without stripping it to a bare shell though so maybe the pies will still be warm when you get there.

I don't know anything much about r32/gtr stuff other than the average owner now appears to be an Aussie drug dealer that goes through an engblock per drag event - and but check out kiwiCNC on Instagram guy in pukekohe that makes some hektick cnc gtr gearbox stuff. Probably justifyably hektikly expensive given how many hours probably go into them, but can be filed with the dct dreams.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

So the usual 3 or 4 weeks in OS time was 3 or 4 months.

I stripped my old head with the hopes of giving it a quick valve lap and send off for a skim was a bust as most of the lifter bores are scored. I must have had some shit through the motor at some stage.

20220914_175610.jpg.a8a54b016c773c785d3ac28074f29448.jpg

Lucky @Ja1lb8 to the rescue with a spare head from a one day project he bought back from oz

20221120_155143.jpg.e70cbc9aa22769221ca75f0ab51ef2a0.jpg

This is a turbo head - they are the same NA or Turbo, but the previous owner in Oz had copper fire rings added to help seal with a stock gasket. It would be at least 14 years ago that Ray bought it. Must have been before everyone got the MLS

20221120_155209.jpg.ef695b07a17c1ed08556d71c0dc1476d.jpg

also, sadface

20221120_155302.jpg.3f3f5c7aec694d81779b4bd776b3bbb8.jpg

Anyway, drilled and tapped a fitting for the VCT oil feed like this, but in the new head and dropped it off to the machinist with some spare valves, and a set of Kelford cams and springs. Was hoping to have it back by now, but hes under the pump like everybody so maybe end of january

20221124_201949.jpg.613b6ea96ea88ba1ea093b97c06b8f3a.jpg

• Like 9