KwS's SD1 Obsession

kws

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Valiant said:

Leave the engine in place, pull the sump off and sneak a set of big end bearings into it. 

If it hasn't run a bearing It's a legitimate fix. It'll solve your problem for a couple of hundred dollars and a few hours work.

It might help the oil pressure issue but im betting the clattering from the top end is due to the cam and lifters being toast. Its not worth spending time or money on this particular engine. Im going to try a couple of additives to see if i can shut the clatter up a bit, and ill live with the low oil pressure until i can afford a 3.9 swap. I want to see if i can get it through a WOF.

• Like 8

@kws it will help your oil pressure issue. Engines loose pressure due to excessive clearance.

Top end noise is probably the lifters bleeding down due to low oil pressure.

I'd give it a try if it was mine.

Thankfully it's yours though.

Edit.

Fair enough though if you want to upside. It's the perfect excuse.

• Like 2

Yep cars do things like this.. you’ve made the right decision keep it and fix.. at least you will have a properly sorted car at the end of the day.. just keep it in the shed and acquire bits over time will make you feel better about it taking some time to get back on the road if you need to wait for funds… the seller sounds like a git so avoid anymore shit from him.. if the budget has blown out on it… simply means ya gotta

keep it forever lol… also you’ll never get cads that you like out of your system and you’ll only end up buying another one later on anyway that will probably need the same amount of work.

Go hard… old cars that aren’t super pricey bring us so much enjoyment… and also frustration but what can ya do. 

• Like 9

On 30/05/2022 at 23:00, cletus said:

If you like the car otherwise, would it be worthwhile asking him for some $$ towards a replacement engine? 

Instead of dealing with the ballache of sending it back and risking him screwing you further   

Oh i forgot to reply to this one. When enquiring about a partial refund as compensation for misrepresenting the car, I got told to "return the car or get lost".

Some people :doubt:

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, kws said:

I dont even know where you get LPG these days. used to be pumps at most stations but they've all disappeared now. 

They still have it here in taranaki but yeah they should get that network going again.

• Like 1

Sad to see the misery you've been through (other than subjecting yourself to another British vehicle).

But glad to see you've got a bit of a second wind. Looking forward to seeing this go from its current state to back on the road!
Hoping you rebuild the original engine. Keen to see that process with your high level of documentation.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Sunbeam said:

Are you going to be able to get your hands on the O.G. high compression engine or have you severed all comms with the seller?

It's not really worth having. The block is the same as all 3.5s, but the pistons and heads are ment to be better (that's where the CR increase comes from). This one is in bits scattered in boxes, having suffered a serious failure. 

I'd only want it if I were interested in keeping it all original and numbers matching, which I'm not. 

• Like 2

Would recommend replacing the lifters if its clattering make sure you prime them with oil first. Rovers have shit oil pressure so once your lifters are a bit tired the valvetrain will get noisy.

I went through same thing with my VDP bought for $500 because it sounded terminal and was gutless, you can check the cam out at same time as these engines eat cam lobes(hopefully yours is good)

Once I sorted the lifters it was a beautiful machine again that could break diffs at the drop of a hat.

• Like 2

So are you going to make a claim via the Contract and Commercial Law Act 2017?

Sounds like the guy is just scum and took advantage of the current car market, highly doubt anyone in the UK would have paid what he was saying he could get etc if they would surely he would have already jumped on it

Damn that black vitesse looked the business/less yuck than the others.

Hopefully some abandoned Land Rover with a great engine but parked in a field for 7 years due to trivial issue that boggled the owner but you can fix in a jiffy comes up for sale cheap in your future

• Like 4