KwS's SD1 Obsession

kws

2 hours ago, locost_bryan said:

Wonder how easy it would be fit a ZF 4HP22 from a V8 Disco using a BMW rwd tailshaft housing (seen it done in a build thread on FMM).

It's been done in a P6 before, but apparently it won't clear the sd1 firewall/tunnel. I'm yet to see any conclusive proof it won't fit though, just rumours. 

• Like 2

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had this on mine engine was noisy horrible thing, removed all the lifters pulled them apart (coz 19 year no money) cleaned them out and primed them with moreys.

Was dead quiet after putting it back together I then flushed the engine with cheap oil and kerosene several times and fed it good oil and a new filter, it came back from being poked and never gave me problems.

• Like 2

I think a 3.9L will be the likely solution, since the engine isnt even the original one its not worth rebuilding. LS1 would be good but would also need to do something with the trans; same deal with the 4.6, i doubt the trans would handle it for long. The 3.9L is more or less a drop in solution and should give me some good gains over the current low compression 3.5.

Biggest issue is that I basically threw all my spending money at the car in the first place, under the impression that it only needed a couple of minor things for a WOF, and then i could tidy it up as i used it. Havent really got the funds to replace the engine.

• Sad 2

Seller has agreed to a refund, as long as I pay to return the car. Not happy I'm out $1500 for the pleasure of fixing some issues on his car, but glad I won't be left with a car that has a stuffed engine I can't afford to fix. 

He probably regrets offering to take the car back when he sold it to me "if I wasn't satisfied with it". Neither of us expected to take up that offer. 

• Sad 9

1 minute ago, Nominal said:

It's a shit situation, hard to believe the seller didn't know the engine was in a sad state.

Maybe return it and then go to disputes tribunal for the shipping $?

Not worth my time to fight it, just going to chalk it up to experience or something. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Yeah it's nice when sellers play along and it's better to accept a compromise up front because DT doesn't guarantee they'll pay up.

The 335D I just bought had a noise from the rear of the car, seller reckoned runflat tyres were a bit old. Hmm drove it to Wgtn from Auckland and yeah that aint tyres. The seller kindly paid the $1200 bill to have it replaced.

Well that went pear shaped quick. The offer of a refund seemingly came with strings. I have to return the car at my own cost, and once he receives the car I will get a full refund as long as the car is "as it was when it left". He will not sign anything to cover both of us, will not agree to a partial refund, and is now claiming he is suspicious that i have "done something to the car".

Basically, i have to trust this guy that tried to rip me off with a broken car in the first place. There is a 98% chance he will get the car and claim the engine wasnt knocking when it left there (as he has stated "it wasnt knocking when it went on the truck" - no it wouldnt, because you didnt warm it up and then drive it around the block before loading it, did you?).

So im basically screwed. Woo.

To add some context, when agreeing to buy the car he said, unprompted, that he would "hold my money in a different account in case im not satisfied and want to return the car".

• Confused 1
  • Sad 7

Dam, sorry to hear of your troubles. Been on both sides of this, my unsolicited advice, actually wait until you get a good night's sleep, then decide where you want to take the hit. Is there anywhere you could stash it for a while?

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Otodat said:

Dam, sorry to hear of your troubles. Been on both sides of this, my unsolicited advice, actually wait until you get a good night's sleep, then decide where you want to take the hit. Is there anywhere you could stash it for a while?

Its solid advice and I will be sleeping on it. Its taking up space in my garage at the moment, which i need back, but it can stay there until i work out what to do.

• Like 4

If you like the car otherwise, would it be worthwhile asking him for some $$ towards a replacement engine? 

Instead of dealing with the ballache of sending it back and risking him screwing you further   

• Like 4