1JZ cold start advice reqd

crustywhip

Need some advice

1jz vvti n/a with 5 wires making it run, water via the throttle body is not connected and figure this forms part of the cold start. Car starts like an old carby car and once warm, goes good. Idle stays high (2ish k) and assume it's got something to do with it. 

If I can't get some pipes in the next week, what issues could there during a day at Manfeild? 

Pretty sure the coolant loop for the TB is only for stopping it freezing up in cold temps. Have you cleaned the IASC? Even abit of carbon on the barrel will get it sticking and making it idle high. They dont run a cold start injector like earlier motors so its really up to a wiring problem or a sticking IASC.

I remember @Spencer saying they needed a voltage signal after key off to reset the IASC otherwise they did the mischief your talking about or something similar

• Like 2

Yeah I fucked that up a few times back in the day wiring these things up like a 4age with just power to everything off the key.

If you haven’t the ECU needs to control the main relay (MREL pin on ECU?) which powers all the EFI things on the engine. Let’s it hold power to the idle controller to reset it. Been awhile though and could be a bunch of things, definitely don’t need the coolant on the throttle.

• Like 1

Sweet, havnt cleaned anything so will do that and then poke around the ECU control if I get time.  Currently it drives fine but this will be a day of driving which I havnt don't yet. It's all temporary stuff while waiting for rewire. 

Yeah it will work without it done correctly but never idle and start nice, it will idle high and hunt around. Should be like one wire from the MREL pin to get the ECU to switch the relay for the injectors and idle shit. Can’t remember if it is +12 or ground but there is 1 million pin outs etc for these now days.

• Thanks 1