Datsunrides Hijet (S37)

As I dig into this I will try and keep this post updated with information on parts as I come across them.

*Front wheel bearings: Inner NSK 320/22.  Outer Timken A4059

*Front spindle castle nut: 12mm x 1.5

*Front/rear brake shoes: 170mm x 30mm. I couldn’t find anything available this small so sent them out to be relined. If they were 180mm there were some possibilities.

*Wheel studs: 10mm x 1.25 x 30mm

*Wheel bolts (bolting wheel halves): 8mm x 1.25 x 16mm

*Tires: 145r10. Using Falken SN807

*Tubes: Got tubes for Subaru 360 with 90 degree stems.

*Front wheel cylinders: 7/8”. Using MGB/GT cylinders with minor mods to the backing plate. These use a clip rather than nuts to mount. Raybestos WC37354. Still working on how I want to convert to the 3/8-24 thread on these. Decided to use 45* banjo adapters. Needed to shorten the bolts I got due to bottoming out before tight.

*Rear wheel cylinders: 5/8”. Using early 70’s Subaru cylinders. Direct bolt on. EIS EW100920.

*Brake master cylinder: 11/16”. Used rubber bits from Datsun B110 brake master kit. Have not verified it works yet.

*Clutch master cylinder: 5/8”. Used rubber bits from Datsun 520 clutch master kit. Have not verified it works yet.

*Clutch slave: 3/4”. Used rubber bit from Datsun 520 master kit. Have not verified it works yet.

*Brake/clutch pedal pads: used pads for Datsun Z

*Brake line threads: 10mm x 1.0

*Converting rubber hydraulic hoses to -3 braided SS

Front 18”

Rear 16”

Clutch 9”

*Steering coupler: used VW type 1. (Not direct fit)

Edited by Datsunrides
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Got some battery cables made up, wired in a new ignition switch and popped in a new battery. Found out the starter is no good so sending it off to be refurbished. Also drained and dropped the tank. Was expecting it to be rusty but was actually pretty clean. There was some rust but nowhere near what I was expecting. Gonna flush it with some diluted acid and reinstall it. While I’m there, I’m going to replace the original hard plastic fuel line with some steel tubing from the tank to the carb.

• Like 4