• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
1 minute ago, ThePog said:

You shouldnt drink so many beers.

Or be such a cunt.

I've had 1.5 beers since Xmas. I feel surprisingly good. I will investigate mechanical fan if needed but I think its an easy last minute addition. I also haven't got a fan or fan mount clutch thingy, and it's not common to other yotas so I need to scour tardme for a bit

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice reading, looks like an interesting conversion! :)

If I may offer a couple of observations, (and I really hope not to offend here) ........ 140 amp alternator will take a lot of hp at full load. A single V belt may struggle, you might find it will eat belts, or slip unless it is very tight. Or both. 
The engine mount cradle might give problems. Engine mounts welded to the middle of that rectangle box section are imparting quite a big bending load right in the middle. I think they will bend/sag downwards once you hit a few bumps and potholes in our fine NZ roads, of which there are many. Maybe some triangulation will help. I probably would have made a cradle bolted through chassis rails, downwards to pickup engine mounts, then underneath engine, in a U shape.

Will be infinitely cooler than it was, keep up the good work!       

• Like 1

Thanks @browndog. I never thought about the alternator load/belt slippage it's a good point.

The triangulation of the cradle has crossed my mind also. It's heavy wall tube, but you are right perhaps there will be a 'hammering effect' from the weight over time. Welding the mounts on has actually bowed those tubes ever so slightly which has made me wonder about long term strength. I'm going to get the cert guy in this week so will run it by him, but I think you are right, a bit of triangulation would definitely help.

Appreciate the feedback mate.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I am no expert on exhaust design but have done a a few myself so I will just add my 2c worth.

I see you have already built your own 4 into 1 headers which is what i probably would have done . They are supposed to make the best overall power in a performance engine but I have read that 4 into 2 and then to one is better for torque. Of course the tube dia there is the most important. A large collector like you have done is good and I think going down to 2in would be ok to the mufflers. After the mufflers you can drop the dia of the exhaust down without hurting power as when the exhaust gases cool they don't need a large tail pipe, though adding another muffler in the tail pipe section is supposably restrictive. This mainly on what i have read and some of what i have done myself. 

When I restored my Tiger I replaced the 260 with a 5.0l (302) and increased the power output by about another 100hp. I made my own headers and to get it up and running used the old twin pipe exhaust that was on the car for the 260. I can't remember the size of the exhaust but I think it was about 1 1/2 in and had fairly normal mufflers on it, nothing loud. I bought some straight through glass pack 2in mufflers for it and redid the entire exhaust in 2in expecting a seat in the pants feel of extra power but didn't.  It does sound cool though. You are probably just wanting I nice V8 burble out the rear and no drone in the vehicle. Hopefully this is of some help.

Cheers TT

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tiger Tamer said:

I am no expert on exhaust design but have done a a few myself so I will just add my 2c worth.

I see you have already built your own 4 into 1 headers which is what i probably would have done . They are supposed to make the best overall power in a performance engine but I have read that 4 into 2 and then to one is better for torque. Of course the tube dia there is the most important. A large collector like you have done is good and I think going down to 2in would be ok to the mufflers. After the mufflers you can drop the dia of the exhaust down without hurting power as when the exhaust gases cool they don't need a large tail pipe, though adding another muffler in the tail pipe section is supposably restrictive. This mainly on what i have read and some of what i have done myself. 

When I restored my Tiger I replaced the 260 with a 5.0l (302) and increased the power output by about another 100hp. I made my own headers and to get it up and running used the old twin pipe exhaust that was on the car for the 260. I can't remember the size of the exhaust but I think it was about 1 1/2 in and had fairly normal mufflers on it, nothing loud. I bought some straight through glass pack 2in mufflers for it and redid the entire exhaust in 2in expecting a seat in the pants feel of extra power but didn't.  It does sound cool though. You are probably just wanting I nice V8 burble out the rear and no drone in the vehicle. Hopefully this is of some help.

Cheers TT

Thanks mate that's def helpful. Cool that you have a Tiger btw. I did consider a 4-2-1 design but wasn't sure on primary lengths etc and kinda just ended up going 4-1 for ease. Although not much is easy about building headers. I put a separate thread up in the tech section and kpr said glass pack straight throughs were also the jam. I am just after a nice burnle, definitely nothing offensive or loud. I think between what the two of you have said I'm getting a good picture of the direction I'll head. 

There's no point in a 4-2-1 on a V8, and a 4-1 doesn't achieve the same scavenging effect as a 4 cyl engine.

A 4 cyl motor has an evenly spaced 4-3-2-1 (or whatever) firing order.

But the v8 firing order means there isnt an even spacing. Which is what gives it that V8 sound rather than sounding like 2 4cyl motors. 
V8 is more like it fires in pairs quickly together, a gap, then pairs quickly together (shortly after each other) 

There's still benefit to having a tuned length runner though, you'll probably want them as long as is practical. 
One benefit of long primaries is that any difference in length between the pipes gets reduced as a % of overall pipe length.

• Like 4

On 22/04/2023 at 07:46, Roman said:

There's no point in a 4-2-1 on a V8, and a 4-1 doesn't achieve the same scavenging effect as a 4 cyl engine.

A 4 cyl motor has an evenly spaced 4-3-2-1 (or whatever) firing order.

But the v8 firing order means there isnt an even spacing. Which is what gives it that V8 sound rather than sounding like 2 4cyl motors. 
V8 is more like it fires in pairs quickly together, a gap, then pairs quickly together (shortly after each other) 

There's still benefit to having a tuned length runner though, you'll probably want them as long as is practical. 
One benefit of long primaries is that any difference in length between the pipes gets reduced as a % of overall pipe length.

Yeah I didn't really have much room to play with length wise so just couldn't get the runners as long as would be optimal, mostly owing to the engine set back.

• 1 month later...