Crown 4V v8 suitable tranny?

ThePog

A mate of mine is putting a Crown V8 into an old Dyna camper. He has a 3 speed auto but wants to find a 4 speed auto to suit, I think for the higher gearing? Doesn't want to change diff ratios anyway.

Does anyone know what would fit easy? He wants something mechanical not ECU controlled...

It wouldn't be an issue to fabricate an adaptor if needed. 

Suggestions?

Chur.

I decided to jump on here, thanks Dylan. I have looked at the A43D and Dl - thats the trans I hoped would be the closest. A friend has one and I had a good look at it, I could make it work for sure. There were some things around input shaft length and the like, not insurmountable. I could adapt the current bellhousing to it. Ive looked also at the falcon BTR but too much hassle. I also considered running an overdrive unit, but again seems messy and prob wouldnt last.

If I was to go the A43D route, finding one becomes the next issue..

4l60 from early commodores vn-vp wouldn't be hard to to obtain yes they break if throw lots of power at them but you won't be nor drag racing. Probably be a bellhousing adapter floating around hotrod groups if you put word out.

15 hours ago, HumberSS said:

I decided to jump on here, thanks Dylan. I have looked at the A43D and Dl - thats the trans I hoped would be the closest. A friend has one and I had a good look at it, I could make it work for sure. There were some things around input shaft length and the like, not insurmountable. I could adapt the current bellhousing to it. Ive looked also at the falcon BTR but too much hassle. I also considered running an overdrive unit, but again seems messy and prob wouldnt last.

If I was to go the A43D route, finding one becomes the next issue..

If you do decide to run an a43d I've got a low kms (140km) one out of a soarer under my bench 

1 hour ago, JustHarry said:

If you do decide to run an a43d I've got a low kms (140km) one out of a soarer under my bench 

Thanks JustHarry, is it Hydraulic or Electronic control? And is it a D, or DL (ie with torque converter lockup?)

Cheers

8 hours ago, Muncie said:

4l60 from early commodores vn-vp wouldn't be hard to to obtain yes they break if throw lots of power at them but you won't be nor drag racing. Probably be a bellhousing adapter floating around hotrod groups if you put word out.

i saw one of these adapted to a ford falcon pre crossflow (1975 ish) engine via adaptor plate to the engine, so that could be a way to bolt it up(was custom made, no one stocked it) 

Castlemaine Rod Shop (CRS Australia) used to have a bell housing (can't remember for what trans) for the "Toyota Hemi" but can't find a listing anymore

2 hours ago, deankdx said:

i saw one of these adapted to a ford falcon pre crossflow (1975 ish) engine via adaptor plate to the engine, so that could be a way to bolt it up(was custom made, no one stocked it) 

Castlemaine Rod Shop (CRS Australia) used to have a bell housing (can't remember for what trans) for the "Toyota Hemi" but can't find a listing anymore

Missed muncies post. I considered the gm trans too but thought the integrated bellhousing might make it more difficult. 

• Like 1