Electronic/electric actuated handbraked rear calipers.

johnny.race

4 hours ago, cletus said:

Another thing to think of is how much clearance to the chassis or body there is in that position 

Have seen quite a few where the caliper would foul on the body with suspension travel

And one recently where the caliper was mounted really close to the coilover brackets. Which was OK with new brake pads, but with a bit of wear the body of the caliper would have hit the bracket 

Fuck, these are brakes we're talking about - how do cunts think they're going to get away with that sorta shit (or even do it) lol, gawd.

• Like 1

Ae111 rear calipers have a cable handbrake (are common calipers on corrollas so heaps of stock)

Could probably go to a 270mm if you needed also pretty sure you can get rhe discs undrilled/they should have enough meat to Redhill 

Screenshot_20220419-153218_Chrome.thumb.jpg.09e12d18ccd04590419d84afdfc77c92.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/04/2022 at 18:51, shrike said:

Ae111 rear calipers have a cable handbrake (are common calipers on corrollas so heaps of stock)

Could probably go to a 270mm if you needed also pretty sure you can get rhe discs undrilled/they should have enough meat to Redhill 

Screenshot_20220419-153218_Chrome.thumb.jpg.09e12d18ccd04590419d84afdfc77c92.jpg

Thanks for this. I like these early corolla calipers but they are not that easy to come by anymore, aye? I've got ae92's, the ones's you're talking about and a couple of others I've collected over time. My experience is this sorta stuff dried up in the wreckers decade(s) ago. I've got an adaption that fits the later zre152 corolla type but they are pretty small, lol! They sell though. But yeah, cheers for the input bro, appreciated.

SuperFastMatt made an arduino controller with a motor shield and a current sensor for an electric park brake. I've spent an hour, and can't find the bloody video.

Can everyone go back to using the internet with text, thanks?

Update: controller referred to here https://youtu.be/j1SMvM-SUHE?t=585

Up-update:

How much current do those things actually draw? anyone put a meter on one?

On 11/05/2022 at 21:21, h4nd said:

SuperFastMatt made an arduino controller with a motor shield and a current sensor for an electric park brake. I've spent an hour, and can't find the bloody video.

Can everyone go back to using the internet with text, thanks?

Update: controller referred to here https://youtu.be/j1SMvM-SUHE?t=585

Up-update:

How much current do those things actually draw? anyone put a meter on one?

Apparently 20a ish? I can possibly test the set I'm about to be working with 

• 1 month later...
On 16/05/2022 at 16:24, chris r said:

Apparently 20a ish? I can possibly test the set I'm about to be working with 

Hiya, did you get a number? I can look for / make something when I get that to work with :)

On 13/04/2022 at 20:54, johnny.race said:

1497051928_20220413_175556(Large).thumb.jpg.db5f5f671508213a4a82b417678753b4.jpg

This is a s4/s5 caliper on a Hilux diff using the 273mm OEM style rotor. It fits a 15" rim with a bit of room to spare.

1267851565_20220413_181151(Large).thumb.jpg.aa83bb4ccdc32439f0c93197c59d2ba1.jpg

This a an rx8 caliper mocked up on the s4/s5 OEM style rotor. As can be seen it won't work due to the shape of the bracket. I have not tried an OEM rx8 rotor as it's large diameter precludes use with a 15" diameter rim in any case. The caliper fits an  OEM style s6 rotor but the combo will not work with a 15" rim either. I've been spending a bit of time in several disc brake rotor data bases looking for options. The s6 rotor might be able to made to work with the rx8 caliper with some diameter reduction but I'd like to avoid having to trim anything unless absolutely necessary. The s6 rotor is OEM 294mm in diameter. I'm guessing something around 285mm dia might work. Fun and games. 

1550151856_20220407_105715(Large).thumb.jpg.f57c3248d49c0bb7cc69fbc6ec174b9b.jpg

I put you wrong re all of the brake adaptions I sell working with 15" rims. The brackets I sell will allow the smaller types of calipers I cater for (sp20, zre152, u13) to work with 14" rims. That's current but I might have to revise this going forward with any new design packages that will allow use of later (TBA) calipers and stick to 15" rims. The pic above shows the s13 rotor (258mm dia) I typically use for most of the smaller fitments. Sitting on it is a VW golf mk5 caliper. Clearly not going to work for two reasons - rotors too small in diameter and mounting points fouling housing. They are quite deep/tall there aye? There might be a balance with a rotor in the mid 270's - 280's and it still being able to fit with a 15" rim. I might check things out. 

I have a hilux diff in a datsun Cedric with s14 calipers and Hyundai sonata v6 rotors. Fits under a 15inch falcon steelie.

Haven't done anything for ages on it but got a mate to laser cut a bit of 10mm plastic as a bracket and it all fitted nicely.

The cable comes out pretty straight towards the centre of the diff

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/07/2022 at 13:20, chris r said:

I think I did but will need to have a dig through my photos 

Owner of the van has just passed away so it's all on hold for now. I'll get it wired enough for it to run and we can make a plan from there